Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what started the whole "bagged" and "stanceworks" fad?

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      04-26-2012 09:29 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by 71camaro View Post
      Airl Lift has videos on Youtube. Look them up, I won't hold your hand and do it for you.

That looks like the bounciest f*cking ride I've ever seen in my life ... how precisely is this proving your
      point??? I've driven Gingerman ... in a coil'ed GTI ... that bouce is TERRIBLE ...

Vehicles
      MK4 GTI VR6(rip)/ Gen2 Camaro Z28/ MK2 Jetta(rip)/S2 Scirocco 16v/S2 Scirocco/D2 S8/ '95 GMC
      04-26-2012 09:31 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      how precisely is this proving your
      point???
      What point? Everything I have is on coils, not air. You all asked for videos and I pointed you in a direction.

Lap times, not bounce, are your answer as well.

Edit: that track surface looks terrible too btw.
      Last edited by 71camaro; 04-26-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      04-26-2012 09:35 AM #38
      What point? Everything I have is on coils, not air. You all asked for videos and I pointed you in a direction.

Lap times, not bounce, are your answer as well.

Edit: that track surface looks terrible too btw.
      I'm part of the local AutoX club here in NEO ... just an FYI ... the few jokers we've had that run bagged cars are usually in for one hell of a fail ... again, prove to me side by side that a bagged air ride system can handle as well as a set of PSS9 coils, because in 5 years, I haven't seen **** on air come CLOSE to touching the same amount of money invested in coils.

4. 04-26-2012 09:36 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      I realize youre a kid with zero expereince in cars, in general, but lowering to that degree has been going on since the '40s.

I'm not saying I agree with the OP, but I think these cars look like normal vehicles only lower. What my issue with the current stance movement is they are trying to go that low but put on ridiculous sized wheels / tires with a ton of camber and the cars just look flat out BROKEN.

Case in point, the Mazda 3 from BigMeecH's thread:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5504915...7629850046721/

sam3 by Roman Goldberg, on Flickr

sam12 by Roman Goldberg, on Flickr
      Last edited by NightTrain EX; 04-26-2012 at 09:38 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      I'm naming my next child NightTrain EX.
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      You're a pretty cool dude.

Vehicles
      2011 Genesis 3.8 R-spec
      04-26-2012 10:06 AM #40
      i like the whole low fitted camber thing... but in moderation.

going for the craziest specs and using an ugly pull and/or with too much camber is over the top

imo you should still be able to have fun driving the car, not have rub, and be low. and it is possible....

the problem is that is it has become so popular lazy people are just half-a$$ing it .. or trying to one up the next guy.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      He did this at 22 old. He is world strongest man. President Obama ordered him to stop but truth must come out. Buy silver in middle of week.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Feed Your Restless
      04-26-2012 10:07 AM #41
      Me. I did.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!

7. 04-26-2012 10:11 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain EX View Post
      I'm not saying I agree with the OP, but I think these cars look like normal vehicles only lower. What my issue with the current stance movement is they are trying to go that low but put on ridiculous sized wheels / tires with a ton of camber and the cars just look flat out BROKEN.Case in point, the Mazda 3 from BigMeecH's thread:
      im pretty neutral here, but damn man, do you not realize that the car looks like that only when it's standing still or parked? like not moving, parked, standing still, for pics & shoots? before it's driven again, the ride height (and some camber-if not a static drop) is restored? or does everyone just ignore this in order to harp on how it would handle & drive at the height it's parked at?

"looks broken"
      it does not drive like this

no offense, just sayin'
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman
      You sound like a man who would appreciate an upper decker.

8. 04-26-2012 10:17 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by motronicmalfunction View Post
      im pretty neutral here, but damn man, do you not realize that the car looks like that only when it's standing still or parked? like not moving, parked, standing still, for pics & shoots? before it's driven again, the ride height (and some camber-if not a static drop) is restored? or does everyone just ignore this in order to harp on how it would handle & drive at the height it's parked at?

"looks broken"
      it does not drive like this

no offense, just sayin'
      I don't care if it's driving or not. If you actually read my post I mentioned nothing about drivability. What I said was that the cars Chris_V posted looked like normal cars just lowered. That vehicle...EVEN WHILE STATIONARY...looks broken. Someone actually thought it looked GOOD while slammed down with what looks like broken axles.

Do I need to add some of these () so you'll understand what I'm saying?

By the way, if you use the "Shift" button, you can get capital letters no offense, just sayin'
      Last edited by NightTrain EX; 04-26-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      04-26-2012 10:20 AM #44
      I don't care if it's driving or not. If you actually read my post I mentioned nothing about drivability. What I said was that the cars Chris_V posted looked like normal cars just lowered. That vehicle...EVEN WHILE STATIONARY...looks broken. Someone actually think it looks GOOD while slammed down with what looks like broken axles.

Do I need to add some of these () so you'll understand what I'm saying?

By the way, if you use the "Shift" button, you can get capital letters no offense, just sayin'
      Agreed ... it's like, if I take a sledgehammer to all my body panels and an axe to my interior and I rip out my radio and smash a few windows, the car looks broken, doesn't matter if I fix it all to drive it home, it looks broken. Seriously, this fad is retarded and those that like the "stanceworks" scene need to eat a gun ...

Vehicles
      '13 Fiat 500e, '13 Golf R, '13 Tiguan SEL
      04-26-2012 10:28 AM #45
      Like others have mentioned, it's all about moderation (both in goal and execution).

My Beetle was meant to be a fun car to drive every day. Some performance additions to helps it, the wheels I like, and an air ride setup to help me navigate the day-to-day with a smile. I had absolutely no intention on tracking the car, still had plenty of fun cruising through the canyons, and sacrificed just about nothing with it.

Ask me why I enjoyed being able to drive this low and not have to be concerned about what the streets in the next town over looked like.

Many would say you spending $1000+ on a good set of coilovers for your VOLKSWAGEN is a waste of money, too.

Seriously, this fad is retarded and those that like the "stanceworks" scene need to eat a gun ...
      At least you're open-minded and accepting that others have tastes that differ from yours.... People like you is what makes the car hobby so enjoyable
      Last edited by SoCalDubber; 04-26-2012 at 10:33 AM.
      Chasin Design | SoCalStanceShop | Pure Euro
      ---------- Let Me Sell You A VW ----------

Wuste European Car Festival The West Coast's LARGEST European Car Show!

Vehicles
      BMP 20th - 1990 Cabriolet.
      04-26-2012 10:32 AM #46
      lol, so many idiots and misinformation in this thread its ridiculous.

I ridden on pss9's and my car is bagged, Id take the bags all day long... you can adjust dampening, height, "spring" rates... and everything else you can do with coils... except on the fly from inside the car while cruising along.

Im also running bilstein rear shocks with my air set up and the handling/cornering is phenominal compared to any of the coils ive ridden on.

Seadoo, for someone that does so much talking, what real world experience have you had with a car on an airride setup? or are you just pissed youre wrong and cant handle admiting it?

(ironic its all the same people that cry about mkiv's, that are clueless to the benefits of air suspension)
      Last edited by x_GTI_x; 04-26-2012 at 10:34 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      No. Smell has a very strong connection in the brain with feelings... or if you're walking past A&F you might think of that chick you fingerblasted when you were 15.
      Goon Squad x Bagriders x Gengstout

Vehicles
      91 Golf CL
      04-26-2012 10:34 AM #47
      [video=youtube;X-zcOLKdBv4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-zcOLKdBv4&feature=plcp[/video\

That looks like the bounciest f*cking ride I've ever seen in my life ... how precisely is this proving your
      point??? I've driven Gingerman ... in a coil'ed GTI ... that bouce is TERRIBLE ...
      Video is terrible looks like they driving a boat haha

Vehicles
      1995 Answer to everything
      04-26-2012 10:34 AM #48
      IF someone tracks their car, would you really consider airride in the first place?

no need to compare the two, as they were built for completely different purposes.

Now, what we can compare is Air ride to Coils that were built to go super low. like v-maxx or some other stuff like that

comparing PSS9's to Air ride in terms of handling performance is like comparing a Gucci Purse to Military spec backpack and wondering which is better on the battlefield.

As for the stance/bagged/camber discussion, why do you care? Is it your car? If you dont like it, dont look at it. Everyone has their own perspectives and opinions. Didnt your momma ever tell you, that if you have nothing nice to say, then shut your whore mouth?
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Welcome. This is where, when you put air ride on an overweight all wheel drive sedan, you've ruined a race car. And when you put nothing but functional aero parts on a car to turn it into a strictly race-prepped car, you've ruined a perfectly good NSX that could've easily been transformed into an overweight all wheel drive sedan. Racecar.

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      04-26-2012 11:27 AM #49
      Bunch of pansy ass kids nowadays.

Static low is where it's at bitches!

Vehicles
      90 turbo miata - 87 325is - 13 Mustang GT
      04-26-2012 11:28 AM #50
      Why did you have to start this inane thread.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Volt, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      04-26-2012 11:30 AM #51
      I'm not saying I agree with the OP, but I think these cars look like normal vehicles only lower. What my issue with the current stance movement is they are trying to go that low but put on ridiculous sized wheels / tires with a ton of camber and the cars just look flat out BROKEN.
      Lowering a solid axle car severley will not induce camber. Same for kingpin front suspensions. My own falcon was lowered 4" jsut by cutting the front springs and using lowering blocks in teh rear:

And there was no camber added by doing so. But my Bugs got mad negative rear camber whenlowered even just a couple inches:

Modern independantly suspended cars will get mad camber when lowered heavily, but they don't drive like that often, so it really doesn't matter other than making the car real low.

As for the big rims, they are in fact duplicating the visual effect of whitewalls on the '50s customs, where the big rim and short sidewall match the wide whitewall and short blackwall portion of the tire. The whitewalls were to make the wheels look bigger and reduce the black tire portion, as they didnt' have larger wheels to install. And they were heavily tucked to the point where the fender came down past the whitewall part of the combo. And of course, they used chrome reverse wheels or chrome hubcaps, as chrome wheels accented the car, even though they removed the chrome from the bodywork.

Seriously the only real new thing about stanced cars is the use of the word stance as a verb. The point is, cars that pretty much sat flat on the ground are as old as customizing cars, so acting like it's some new fad is silly. The cars that were lowered in the '40s and '50s and '60s were essentially new cars then, too, just like the slammed VWs and Hondas are essentially new cars now. Nothing has changed except the badges on the cars and the actual technique of getting them that low. Those early low cars, like my Falcon, wer that way all the time, and could be a bit of a pain to drive around due to being that low. At least air ride cars can be adjusted up to clear obstacles and get in and out of driveways easy, while retaining factory ride and handling. Best of both worlds, really. Stock ride and handling when you want it, and ultra low cruising when you want it, all from the comfort of your driver's seat.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 11:40 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      Bunch of pansy ass kids nowadays.

Static low is where it's at bitches!
      i was probably lower static than your coils will go.
      No. Smell has a very strong connection in the brain with feelings... or if you're walking past A&F you might think of that chick you fingerblasted when you were 15.

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      04-26-2012 11:41 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by x_GTI_x View Post
      i was probably lower static than your coils will go.
      Mine probably rides more like a chuck-wagon than yours does! Oregon Trail Stylez biatch!

Vehicles
      02 330i, 09 Flex, 01 Wrangler
      04-26-2012 11:46 AM #54

I hate to bash something someone else likes but this is a trend that I can't understand either. It seems like a lot of work to make a car slower and less practical. And the only people who seem to like the trend are those who already have a "slammed" car so it only looks good to a select few.

Vehicles
      R32, Jetta coupe
      04-26-2012 11:49 AM #55
      Bags vs. coil overs will be around until the end of time at this point.

But I myself, like most others in here, wish the word "stance" (as a current term relating to the automotive world) would die and never be mentioned again.

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 11:52 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by 01tj View Post
      I hate to bash something someone else likes but this is a trend that I can't understand either. It seems like a lot of work to make a car slower and less practical. And the only people who seem to like the trend are those who already have a "slammed" car so it only looks good to a select few.
      how does air suspension make a car any slower?

Vehicles
      Gma's 88 Carat, OG '92 16v,
      04-26-2012 11:52 AM #57
      Different people like different things.
      Different people have different goals.
      All of you arguing about this are dumb

Vehicles
      2001 Porsche Boxster S
      04-26-2012 11:55 AM #58

Vehicles
      B8 S4 / HD Iron883
      04-26-2012 11:59 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by slikaznricer View Post
      comparing PSS9's to Air ride in terms of handling performance is like comparing a Gucci Purse to Military spec backpack and wondering which is better on the battlefield.

As for the stance/bagged/camber discussion, why do you care? Is it your car? If you dont like it, dont look at it. Everyone has their own perspectives and opinions. Didnt your momma ever tell you, that if you have nothing nice to say, then shut your whore mouth?
      All of this made me smile....that is all
      Let's face it, if you're a grown-ass man driving a Hyundai or Kia to work, your life plan didn't work out as expected

Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      04-26-2012 12:18 PM #60

I know this is a hard concept for many in here to grasp, but perhaps....

...perhaps the car looks good to *gasp* the owners.
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

26. Member
      Vehicles
      09 GTI : 88 GLI
      04-26-2012 12:38 PM #61
      Different people like different things.
      Different people have different goals.
      All of you arguing about this are dumb
      agreed...and boring
      -leaving thread now before I read another word...

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      04-26-2012 12:55 PM #62
      My hypothesis is that it came into the light (i.e. more popular) not long after the F&F days started to wane. My logic is based on the fact that during HS and college I never heard much or saw a lot of this type of stuff save for the kids who cut muffler tips and springs (the cheap way) on their Civics.

Reason being that once the cops started to really push up campaigns against street racing and non-sanctioned car meets that people may have felt that "low and slow" was better than revving their little Honda engines to redline all day.

Vehicles
      MK4 GTI VR6(rip)/ Gen2 Camaro Z28/ MK2 Jetta(rip)/S2 Scirocco 16v/S2 Scirocco/D2 S8/ '95 GMC
      04-26-2012 01:45 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
      My hypothesis is that it came into the light (i.e. more popular) not long after the F&F days started to wane. My logic is based on the fact that during HS and college I never heard much or saw a lot of this type of stuff save for the kids who cut muffler tips and springs (the cheap way) on their Civics.

Reason being that once the cops started to really push up campaigns against street racing and non-sanctioned car meets that people may have felt that "low and slow" was better than revving their little Honda engines to redline all day.
      Your theory really sucks.

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 01:47 PM #64
      Your theory really sucks.
      QFT.

Vehicles
      93 Cali Style Corrado, 08 Honda Element SC
      04-26-2012 02:16 PM #65

Not saying they started it but its been going on forever.

For the record I hate the word "stanced"

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      04-26-2012 03:02 PM #66
      It's okay, the slammed dubbers are just perpetuating a trend that the ricers embrace:

Race
      Inspired
      Cosmetic
      Ehancements

Instead of plastering their cars with stickers and 24" spoilers that do nothing, they "slam" their cars so that "laying frame" and "mad tyte camburr, y0!" is what they do. The funniest thing is then hearing a dubber trying to explain why his version of ruining his car is better than the Honda boys in the next parking lot over.

If you have to cut, remove, plasma torch off your front sway bar, or if you have to notch your frame, or if you cannot go faster than 2mph up a driveway incline, yes, you are as stupid if not more than your Honda-ricer cousins.

I'll stand by what I said ... go eat a gun ...

Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      04-26-2012 03:02 PM #67
      It's okay, the slammed dubbers are just perpetuating a trend that the ricers embrace:

Race
      Inspired
      Cosmetic
      Ehancements
      That isn't what rice means, your argument = void.
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      04-26-2012 03:05 PM #68
      The funniest thing is then hearing a dubber trying to explain why his version of ruining his car is better than the Honda boys in the next parking lot over.
      Quote Originally Posted by zaYG View Post

34. 04-26-2012 03:05 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by zaYG View Post
      That's what the R!cers used to say it meant to make the joke on everyone who wasn't in the know. Sort of like some of the things said in this thread

Vehicles
      1997 blue suede shoe, XJ Cherokee 4.0
      04-26-2012 03:10 PM #70
      I hate to bash something someone else likes but this is a trend that I can't understand either. It seems like a lot of work to make a car slower and less practical.
      So are cars that come from the factory with air ride not practical?

It's just another design. You can use a spring. You can use a bag full of air. Each has their pros and cons, but they both essentially do the same thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      Something something haters something YOLO, etc.
      My work in progress! 1997 Jazz Blue GTI

@Spiller337

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast