Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what started the whole "bagged" and "stanceworks" fad?

Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      04-26-2012 03:10 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      Can't see your picture, but rice = tacky body kits, wings, flashy paint jobs and altezza lights among other things. If you don't have those, you're not rice!
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

Vehicles
      Honduh VTAK
      04-26-2012 03:11 PM #72
      Low self-esteem
      Now go get your shinebox

Vehicles
      MK4 GTI VR6(rip)/ Gen2 Camaro Z28/ MK2 Jetta(rip)/S2 Scirocco 16v/S2 Scirocco/D2 S8/ '95 GMC
      04-26-2012 03:13 PM #73
      One of the significant qualifiers of "rice" was that the items were simply stuck or bolted onto the car and didn't require fabrication (decals, spoilers, wire loom). Notching a frame correctly, or pulling arches, or anything like that, THOUGH YOU PERSONALLY MAY NOT LIKE IT, is not rice.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Volt, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      04-26-2012 03:13 PM #74
      It's okay, the slammed dubbers are just perpetuating a trend that the ricers embrace:

Race
      Tell me how laying frame is race inspired? Di dyou not notice that this has been going on in the custom world since the '40s???

If you have to cut, remove, plasma torch off your front sway bar, or if you have to notch your frame, or if you cannot go faster than 2mph up a driveway incline, yes, you are as stupid if not more than your Honda-ricer cousins.
      So all those custom guys since the '40s, building cars like I posted, are stupid ricers?

I wish it physically hurt to be as closed minded, insultng and ignorant a POS as you are.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      77 rabbit
      04-26-2012 03:19 PM #75
      It's okay, the slammed dubbers are just perpetuating a trend that the ricers embrace:

Race
      Inspired
      Cosmetic
      Ehancements

Instead of plastering their cars with stickers and 24" spoilers that do nothing, they "slam" their cars so that "laying frame" and "mad tyte camburr, y0!" is what they do. The funniest thing is then hearing a dubber trying to explain why his version of ruining his car is better than the Honda boys in the next parking lot over.

If you have to cut, remove, plasma torch off your front sway bar, or if you have to notch your frame, or if you cannot go faster than 2mph up a driveway incline, yes, you are as stupid if not more than your Honda-ricer cousins.

I'll stand by what I said ... go eat a gun ...
      so your all about performance?.....why?
      do your auto cross your car,drag race,road course? NO you dont so what the F%^k is the point.
      you drive on that same streets as i do and can only go the speed limit so why drop cash to have this "fast"/ "performance" car

Vehicles
      Silver Arrow VR
      04-26-2012 03:22 PM #76
      "Lowering it" has always been a huge part of volkswagen culture, starting with the aircooled beetles and vans, it has continued through to modern volkswagens and i think in the last few years car enthusiasts of other brands have caught the trend. My car isn't bagged or have any dumb camber, but it is fairly low with decently wide stance, i think it looks great. i also get compliments from teenage "bros", hot girls my age (early 20's), 50 year old guys in muscle cars. and once from an 80 year old woman.

THAT VR

but i agree that stupid amounts of camber is completely retarded.
      Quote Originally Posted by rankadoodle
      Who wants to ride some 20 year old honda that works all of the time no matter what. Thats boring as hell.
      Quote Originally Posted by vwjettaman97 View Post
      Were do you get 4x100 crome deepdish rims??
      THE SILVER SLED
      █ ♣ █

Vehicles
      MK4 GTI VR6(rip)/ Gen2 Camaro Z28/ MK2 Jetta(rip)/S2 Scirocco 16v/S2 Scirocco/D2 S8/ '95 GMC
      04-26-2012 03:22 PM #77
      It's a look, just like a lowerider is a look, or a brodozer is a look, or a rice rocket is a look. Just like Rat Rod, Hot Rod, and Street Rod are looks. I think Pro-street cars look kinda stupid, but the owners like them, who cares. I despise Pro-touring inspired cars, but again, the owner likes it, who am I to judge. Everything listed takes time, money, hard work, and dedication, for the fab work and for the desired look to be achieved. Ricers generally get less respect from me because they're taking the easy way out on building the car, but if it took a significant effort, I can appreciate it, even if I don't particularly care for it personally.

I get a kick out of all the "Oh noes, ruiend racekor, cannot track, fail" people. Not everyone is going to Summit Point of Mid-Ohio next weekend. Some go for aesthetics because they aren't as skilled behind the wheel, or they have passion for cars but not competing in speed competitions with them. SO WHAT!

What if a person has one "stanced" car and another car they track, and :gasp: another car they left stock? Are they a lesser enthusiast because they lowered one car beyond where it performs best? They still have their track car, so does it not count because they "ruined" something else?

Oh, OP, Stanceworks is a company and a blog, not a fad. They're no different than streetfire or speedhunters, they just happen to market to this particular niche.

Vehicles
      BMP 20th - 1990 Cabriolet.
      04-26-2012 04:05 PM #78

Race
      Inspired
      Cosmetic
      Ehancements

Instead of plastering their cars with stickers and 24" spoilers that do nothing, they "slam" their cars so that "laying frame" and "mad tyte camburr, y0!" is what they do. The funniest thing is then hearing a dubber trying to explain why his version of ruining his car is better than the Honda boys in the next parking lot over.

I'll stand by what I said ... go eat a gun ...
      you really are a ****ing idiot.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      No. Smell has a very strong connection in the brain with feelings... or if you're walking past A&F you might think of that chick you fingerblasted when you were 15.
      Goon Squad x Bagriders x Gengstout

Vehicles
      '95 BMW 730i and '97 BMW 323i Touring
      04-26-2012 04:05 PM #79
      I don't understand this discussion. This stuff has been around for ever. I remember back in the 90ies when I read my dad's old car modding magazines, cars had the same recipe back then, just as low and wide as possible. It's been around long before that. My father and his friends did it back in the 80ies, in fact, this stuff has been around nearly as long as the car has existed.

I really don't understand the fuss - some years ago, while thiss stuff already existed like it is today, nobody cared. Now that it's become a bit more mainstream every douche and their grandma is hating on it like there's no tomorrow.

What's the point? Most people who lay their cars out for looks do realize it's never going to handle as good as a racecar with proper suspension geometrics - that said, most racecars are very low as well, the difference being that their suspension has been constructed to handle properly at that height. Most of your run of the mill coils or even bags are designed to handle properly at a certain height - which is not as low as that of a racecar, to retain full suspension travel.

For example, look at this:

An E36 320iS from the 90ies touring car racing era. I know E36s pretty well and I can tell you for sure that the undercarriage of this car sits less than 1.5 inch off the ground. Yet it does handle properly. Why? Because the suspension is designed for this extreme level of low. It'd be too much to discuss the suspension setup of this car in depth, but suffice to say that it's quite different from anything you can readily buy for these cars, especially the rear setup.

So why go as low as this or even lower with a suspension not specifically designed for it? Because it looks good. Because, with the right suspension it still handles and drives fine at this height, even if it will never be the right setup to set track records. Because it's not a race car.

Do you need a 4000$ coilover suspension setup for the racetrack to go to work? Hell, no. Why would you? To get there 3 seconds faster... wait, you can't. Why? Because you're stuck in traffic.

Each of these suspension setups has it's place. For go, for show, for whatever the owner wants. Airride offers the best of both worlds, you can lay the car out and if you want to have some fun you can raise it up to the height it's designed to handle properly at (meaning a height where the resulting bag pressure, i.e. spring rates, match your dampers) and just have a blast driving 'round corners and when you're done with that just lay it out again so it looks stunning again.

Where's the problem? WHY bitch about it?

Now that I've said my two cents, I'll just roll away in my undriveable slammed, cambered and stretched Touring.

www.tiefundbreit.com - The blog about German car culture and all things low and wide.

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 04:08 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr.AK View Post

Sell me your RFs.

Vehicles
      '95 BMW 730i and '97 BMW 323i Touring
      04-26-2012 04:12 PM #81
      www.tiefundbreit.com - The blog about German car culture and all things low and wide.

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 04:14 PM #82
      ok.

Vehicles
      '93 Audi 80 (B4)
      04-26-2012 04:21 PM #83
      I don't really care who started it, it looks really damn ugly regardless but to each their own.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      02TTQC
      04-26-2012 05:02 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Señor Peligro View Post
      Low self-esteem
      Needs more low.

Vehicles
      2013 Golf TDI
      04-26-2012 05:33 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      Tell me how laying frame is race inspired? Di dyou not notice that this has been going on in the custom world since the '40s???

So all those custom guys since the '40s, building cars like I posted, are stupid ricers?

I wish it physically hurt to be as closed minded, insultng and ignorant a POS as you are.
      **** the haters. I was laying frame 10 years ago and it wasn't new then and it isn't new now. I'm not a fan of poke/stretch, etc... but I don't constantly bitch about it on car forums because I have better things to do. Get a life.

16. 04-26-2012 05:34 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by NoLongerLow View Post
      1) Read up on modern air bag systems. They do not make the car handle like "ass".

2) Stop beating a dead horse.
      This

Vehicles
      92 SLC/69 FJ40/97 4Runner
      04-26-2012 05:54 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by slikaznricer View Post
      IF someone tracks their car, would you really consider airride in the first place?

no need to compare the two, as they were built for completely different purposes.

Now, what we can compare is Air ride to Coils that were built to go super low. like v-maxx or some other stuff like that

comparing PSS9's to Air ride in terms of handling performance is like comparing a Gucci Purse to Military spec backpack and wondering which is better on the battlefield.

As for the stance/bagged/camber discussion, why do you care? Is it your car? If you dont like it, dont look at it. Everyone has their own perspectives and opinions. Didnt your momma ever tell you, that if you have nothing nice to say, then shut your whore mouth?
      This!

I do a LOT of agressive canyon driving as that it my 110 mile daily commute. Coils are the only way for my Mk2. But I see the benefit. For my wife's next car, we're considering bags. I used to be such a hater when it comes to air ride, but having been in a couple well executed vehicles, for someone that just wants to be low and still have a great ride, it's the logical choice. They both have their function and do it well.
      Quote Originally Posted by under the radar View Post
      if you're not into chicks, a dude can hold your cup too.
      Quote Originally Posted by BattleRabbit View Post
      How do you kill a Mk.ii? Run it with low oil, at redline for a few hours while jumping it off things. Fill the engine with sticks and dirt. Repeat.

Vehicles
      8 Rings / TDI
      04-26-2012 05:57 PM #88
      PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | DrinkTanks | Scratch-It™
      The people around here tuck their teeshirts into their jeans. So a sense of humor will not be welcomed.

Vehicles
      Bagged GTI
      04-27-2012 12:41 PM #89
      I like air because it's like air derp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      @gtijoey

20. 04-27-2012 12:51 PM #90
      It seems that people often forget the purpose of coilovers. They are not meant to be a lowering tool, if you want that, get bags! Coilovers are used to adjust the weight bias on each corner of the car individually providing the optimal weight biases F/R and L/R per course requirements.

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 01:06 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by DubRubbin View Post
      It seems that people often forget the purpose of coilovers. They are not meant to be a lowering tool, if you want that, get bags! Coilovers are used to adjust the weight bias on each corner of the car individually providing the optimal weight biases F/R and L/R per course requirements.
      Wrong. I'm pretty sure Raceland/Vmaxx/Weitec/ST coilovers aren't meant for tracking a car, they're meant for lowering by people so inclined. Hell, H&R ULTRALOW coilovers? Wonder what they were designed to do?

I think you're confusing track coilovers, I.E. KW V3 and Clubsport, Stasis, Ohlins, Bilstein PSS9 and the like with these others I've listed.

Vehicles
      93 Cali Style Corrado, 08 Honda Element SC
      04-27-2012 01:14 PM #92

as stated many many times before this is nothing new bags, low to the ground, camber...

to each their own.

04-27-2012 01:21 PM #93

ignorantly bashing whats popular is just as trendy as embracing it...congratulations your the anti establishment socially awkward goth kids in the corner of the car world brooding at how much more hardcore you are then everyone else, amiright?

oh i forgot every car has to be a race car now a days...i seem to have also forgotten that Volkswagen are automatically performance oriented racecars from the factory, not economical consumer cars. I mean the R in r32 stance for racecar right?
      Quote Originally Posted by BigTimBigTurbo View Post
      and i would never in a million years not even for a billion dollars let any colored person near my area

24. 04-27-2012 01:25 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by grundle View Post

ignorantly bashing whats popular is just as trendy as embracing it...congratulations your the anti establishment socially awkward goth kids in the corner of the car world brooding at how much more hardcore you are then everyone else, amiright?

oh i forgot every car has to be a race car now a days...i seem to have also forgotten that Volkswagen are automatically performance oriented racecars from the factory, not economical consumer cars. I mean the R in r32 stance for racecar right?
      build ****ty car

call people haters/old

04-27-2012 01:39 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by kwik!gti View Post
      build ****ty car

call people haters/old
      didnt call anyone haters or old, good one though...simply stating the superiority complex and irrational reasoning goes both ways
      and i would never in a million years not even for a billion dollars let any colored person near my area

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 01:46 PM #96
      build ****ty car

call people haters/old
      If youre going to attempt to be a douche bag using an old line, atleast get it right.
      No. Smell has a very strong connection in the brain with feelings... or if you're walking past A&F you might think of that chick you fingerblasted when you were 15.

27. 04-27-2012 01:49 PM #97
      didnt call anyone old,
      look at the pic you posted. "get off my lawn you damn kids" isnt referring to an old guy being mad at kids? Yea.......thought so

28. 04-27-2012 01:50 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by x_GTI_x View Post
      If youre going to attempt to be a douche bag using an old line, atleast get it right.
      umad>?

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 01:51 PM #99
      umad>?
      utrytoohard

04-27-2012 01:57 PM #100
      look at the pic you posted. "get off my lawn you damn kids" isnt referring to an old guy being mad at kids? Yea.......thought so
      ok now run a long little internet troll

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta
      04-27-2012 02:32 PM #101

32. 04-27-2012 03:23 PM #102
      ok now run a long little internet troll
      Its ok to admit when you're wrong pal :pats you on head:

33. 04-27-2012 03:24 PM #103
      utrytoohard
      yea....u mad

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 03:32 PM #104
      yea....u mad
      nah, but I am bagged

35. 04-27-2012 03:37 PM #105
      nah, but I am bagged
      Unless you have an old Caddy......I'm sorry to hear that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast