Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: ECU removal and APR stage II upgrade

1. 04-25-2012 10:38 PM #1
      My 2012 GLI has been upgraded to APR stage I, and I know that for stage I, the dealer has to take out and open up the ECU so that he can connect to the chip for the upgrade.

Just wondering after getting a downpipe installed, does he need to take out the ECU and open it up again for stage II? Also, how do I know if my car has been running in stage II successfully?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW GLI MT
      04-25-2012 11:19 PM #2
      that is true in theory GLI12.

That was't the case for me. they could not get the stage II to flash through the port and had to pull the ecu and do it.

3. 04-26-2012 12:02 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI12 View Post
      No, stage 2 is a direct port flash. Meaning they plug into the computer port under the dash and flash it. The ECU is unlocked if you have Stage 1 so every flash or add on just plugs in. No more touching the ECU. I don't really know what you mean about stage 2? If you go to a dealer and pay for a stage 2 flash then you will have stage 2. Trust me, with the down pipe and stage 2 all you have to do is step on the gas and you will know!!!
      With a downpipe installed, do I need to pay for stage 2 programming again? I have already paid for the stage 1 full program.

So, once when they plug in the OBD port, will the computer show something like stage 2 successfully installed so you know your car has been flashed with stage 2?

4. 04-26-2012 12:17 AM #4
      From what I heard in speaking to the tuner, you will need to pull the ECU again. Flashing the GLI is different from some of the other ECUs.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      04-26-2012 12:03 PM #5
      If you only bought one program then you obviously need to pay to upgrade. The whole point of the sale was to get all programs for the price of one and switch programs as you upgrade mods. APR's awesome, its just VW made it a lil more difficult to tune these new ECUs

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI Autobahn 6MT w/NAV, bone stock for now!
      06-08-2012 03:53 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by arcorl View Post
      that is true in theory GLI12.

That was't the case for me. they could not get the stage II to flash through the port and had to pull the ecu and do it.
      Like the mods you've done to your car. Sounds awesome! Mind posting a few pics I can admire??

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      06-08-2012 05:01 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by aerohead06 View Post
      If you only bought one program then you obviously need to pay to upgrade. The whole point of the sale was to get all programs for the price of one and switch programs as you upgrade mods. APR's awesome, its just VW made it a lil more difficult to tune these new ECUs
      False. If you pay for Stage I, you can get the software upgrade to Stage 2 for free.

My guess is you'd just have to pay for labor, if your ECU did need to be removed to get reflashed.
      Matt / 2012 Candy GLI / AWE / APR

official mk6 Jetta/GLI DIY guide

Hit me up if you need a VAGCOM in Phoenix.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 White GLI Autobahn
      06-08-2012 05:45 PM #8
      My local shop charged me 50 dollars for the stage 2 flash but it ended up getting waived for something anyways.

Vehicles
      1997 NA Miata, 2013 Golf 4-door
      06-08-2012 06:24 PM #9
      I had to get my ECU pulled.

$599 for Stage 2 GIAC install, which included the ECU being pulled. This was on the last GIAC sale, around April.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn 6 MT
      06-08-2012 08:43 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by asusc View Post
      False. If you pay for Stage I, you can get the software upgrade to Stage 2 for free.

My guess is you'd just have to pay for labor, if your ECU did need to be removed to get reflashed.
      Exactly right!! When I went stage 2 it was a direct port flash, no ECU removal. All You should be charged for is labor. And you can call APR and give them your VIN and they will tell you if you are in fact stage 2 and what programs you have.