Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: "Changes in Lattitude"....New SOWO Format!

Vehicles
      77 Scirocco, 93 325I, 98 318I, 00 Cabrio, 00 Intrigue (Best Car Ever)
      04-26-2012 12:34 AM #1
      In conjunction with our move to the new venue, we are changing up the Event and Awards format. It has been our goal from the beginning to offer a laid back event where people who don't want to feel pressured to prepare their cars to what they think is show level can feel comfortable participating next to cars that are. SOWO truly is an event for everybody in that regard.

We do feel however that the time has come to recognize some of the efforts put forth by many people who value SOWO as the first opportunity of the year to demonstrate all their hard work. With that in mind, we still aren't having categories or classes but we are expanding the scope.

To wit:

On Saturday, in addition to our traditional participant based awards...Club Spirit, Farthest Distance Traveled, Longest Distance Driven; We will be recognizing 11 car based awards. These will be presented at 3:30pm Saturday and the winners are asked to return Sunday prior to the Mountain Cruise to be displayed in front of the H2OTuning stage. At the conclusion of the Mountain Cruise, we will ask everyone whose joining us for the free lunch to cast your ballot for your favorite and that car will receive the traditional Grand Stein for "Best of SOWO!" (This year's stein was purchased by Matt Bounds at Worthersee Tour in 2011)

The Awards are as follows (the ones with cool names were my idea, if it sounds gay, that was Matt..it's just for fun, these captions WILL Not appear on the Award)

WagenWerks "MixMaster" award for Outstanding Finish

Loves Trim Shop "Twisted Stitches" award for Outstanding Interior

C2 Motorsports "Just the Tip" award for Best Engine Swap

C2 Motorsports "Best Blown" award for outstanding Forced Induction

C2 Motorsports "Inner Thigh" award for Best Engine Bay

Airlift "Pssssht Happens" award for Best Stance

Georgia Dubs "Roots" Award for Outstanding Air Cooled

Rotiform "Holy Rollers" award for Outstanding Wheel/Tire Combo

FORGE Motorsport "Title Sponsors Choice"

The Bynum Built award for Outstanding Achievement

And of course, the Original H2OTuning "Club Choice"
      Last edited by CCooley@SOWO; 04-26-2012 at 10:34 AM.
      SOWO 8 May 16-18th 2014

www.SouthernWorthersee.com

The Roundel Reunion September 7-8, 2013 Helen, GA

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      04-26-2012 01:45 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by 91cabster View Post
      In conjunction with our move to the new venue, we are changing up the Event and Awards format. It has been our goal from the beginning to offer a laid back event where people who don't want to feel pressured to prepare their cars to what they think is show level can feel comfortable participating next to cars that are. SOWO truly is an event for everybody in that regard.

We do feel however that the time has come to recognize some of the efforts put forth by many people who value SOWO as the first opportunity of the year to demonstrate all their hard work. With that in mind, we still aren't having categories or classes but we are expanding the scope.

To wit:

On Saturday, in addition to our traditional participant based awards...Club Spirit, Farthest Distance Traveled, Longest Distance Driven; We will be recognizing 10 car based awards. These will be presented at 3:30pm Saturday and the winners are asked to return Sunday prior to the Mountain Cruise to be displayed in front of the H2OTuning stage. At the conclusion of the Mountain Cruise, we will ask everyone whose joining us for the free lunch to cast your ballot for your favorite and that car will receive the traditional Grand Stein for "Best of SOWO!" (This year's stein was purchased by Matt Bounds at Worthersee Tour in 2011)

The Awards are as follows (the ones with cool names were my idea, if it sounds gay, that was Matt..it's just for fun, these captions WILL Not appear on the Award)

WagenWerks "MixMaster" award for Outstanding Finish

Loves Trim Shop "Twisted Stitches" award for Outstanding Interior

C2 Motorsports "Just the Tip" award for Best Engine Swap

C2 Motorsports "Best Blown" award for outstanding Forced Induction

C2 Motorsports "Inner Thigh" award for Best Engine Bay

Airlift "Pssssht Happens" award for Best Stance

Rotiform "Holy Rollers" award for Outstanding Wheel/Tire Combo

FORGE Motorsport "Title Sponsors Choice"

The Bynum Built award for Outstanding Achievement

And of course, the Original H2OTuning "Club Choice"
      is it voted based?
      and i mean: participants vote, or judges do?

3. 04-26-2012 10:42 AM #3
      So does this new format replace the peoples choice format? Because I have to say, winning an award chosen by your peers feels truly amazing. No amount of perfect hand picked recognition can come close to the people's choice format. I guess this is my plea for what I love about SOWO. What you guys have done with your awards format for the past 5 or so years has set the perfect stage for that elusive laid back atmosphere that other car shows find so hard to sustain year after year. Finding a show of SOWO's stature that offers a "peoples choice" based award format is a rarity and is an integral part of what sets SOWO apart from those other large show's that we all like to point at and say "I remember when that show used to be fun" Best of SOWO really should be the best of everyone, not the best of "these 10 cars that we picked for you" Say it aint so SOWO. Say it aint so!!

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 11:03 AM #4
      As always, with every apect of SOWO, we are trying to find a balance between what people say they want and what we can do. From the beginning, it's been split 50/50 between people who want a full on categorized competition and those that like the People's Choice. The challenge with People's Choice is getting enough people to make the effort to choose. It gets tougher every year when fewer and fewer people cast their ballot. Are you really being judged by your peers if there are 1500+ cars and 100 votes? Or if the same number of people vote for 50 different cars? You can see how difficult it becomes.

In this scenario, we can acknowledge some standout cars and narrow the field and hopefully that will encourage people to participate in the People's Choice segment on Sunday. But please keep the feedback coming, this event is for you, we're just trying to keep it manageable for our staff.
      SOWO 8 May 16-18th 2014

5. 04-26-2012 11:23 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by 91cabster View Post
      Are you really being judged by your peers if there are 1500+ cars and 100 votes? Or if the same number of people vote for 50 different cars? You can see how difficult it becomes.
      Oh wow. Is the vote count really that low I had no idea. What is wrong with everyone? See what happens when you don't participate? Get it together people.
      Last edited by moneytrap; 04-26-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      04-26-2012 12:55 PM #6
      will booth cars be eligible for trophies?

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 01:28 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by thygreyt View Post
      will booth cars be eligible for trophies?
      No, never have. This is about regular people getting some love for their hard work. It's really not about what it takes to "get a trophy" If a car is in a booth, it's usually because it is "sponsored" whole or in part by the company hosting the booth. As such, it's part of the Sponsors display and usually presents some opportunity not available to everybody.
      SOWO 8 May 16-18th 2014

8. 04-27-2012 03:57 PM #8
      cant wait to see all you guys there

Vehicles
      '93 Cabriolet, black '01 TT 225Q autoX machine v2, '11 TDI coupe unicorn, '92 mariner blue meowta
      04-28-2012 06:42 PM #9
      Last year was my first year going but I had no idea where to get/cast (and by what time) my ballot. Also had no idea there was a fundraiser going on til I saw the disappointed thread on it after the show.

Is there a game plan posted for how the voting will be this year?
      .: COOLWATER : Motorsport Chapter // I'm a loner, Dottie.. a rebel.
      Quote Originally Posted by RafCarre12 View Post
      [maya]womp womp... (where did that piece of celery go?) kittah![/maya]

Vehicles
      Danger Ranger
      04-29-2012 09:40 PM #10
      sounds like a great idea! love it!

Vehicles
      '06 MKV on pillows & '07 Fahrenheit GTI
      04-30-2012 12:03 PM #11
      l AirLift/ORT l APR l G1001 l

@ninohale IG

www.conduktco.com

12. 05-15-2012 11:40 AM #12
      As sponsors of the apre Mountain cruise food and drink Forge are looking forward to hanging with you all for the afternoon

13. 05-16-2012 03:20 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by ForgeMotorsport View Post
      As sponsors of the apre Mountain cruise food and drink Forge are looking forward to hanging with you all for the afternoon

ill be needing one of each of those (shirt and glass).... and a whole ****-ton of the third thing (beer)