Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Question for Peeps that have gotten into motorcycle accidents.

Vehicles
      2007 HD Softail Deluxe 2009 FJ Cruiser
      04-26-2012 02:53 AM #1
      To make a long story short. I was cruising along on the freeway in the #1 lane @ around 40mph. (traffic was a little thick), Some lady, for whatever reason, decided she wanted to get into my lane and she took me down.

After dealing with her insurance (wawanesa) for the past few weeks, they have finally decided to take liability for the accident. On Monday they (wawanesa) came out to my house to inspect my bike and take pics of the damage. So now im being told that my bike is a "total loss" (which i dont think is true)..

Damages consist of bent bars, bent brake pedal/floorboard, a few chrome pieces need to get repalced. got an estamite of around $3,000-4,000 to get it fixed.

So my question is, How does this process work? I have a loan on my bike for $13,000 and im thinking Im going to be bike-less, and still have a balance on my loan that ill have to pay? Can someone thats gone thru this help me out. How should i go about this?

BEFORE THE ACCIDENT

DAMAGES

Vehicles
      SMC/CRV
      04-26-2012 06:31 AM #2
      Most insurance companies want motorcycles off the road, so any chance to deem them a total loss is in their best interest. The smallest scratch can sometimes "total" a motorcycle because in the grand scheme, insurance companies would rather pay $10,000 for a scratched bike than a $125,000 medical bill (or worse).

About recouping the money to pay your loan. It's no different than a car, you must settle with the insurance company and if you can't get your value (or atleast be made whole), then you'll have to go after the owner of the vehicle with legal means.
      هم المشكلة

3. Senior Member
      04-26-2012 07:16 AM #3
      Does the insurance company know you have a lien on the bike? Because you will discover that it will suddenly not be a total loss and they will fix it (given the balance on the bike is more than the repairs, they will go with whichever course is cheaper).

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Most insurance companies want motorcycles off the road, so any chance to deem them a total loss is in their best interest. The smallest scratch can sometimes "total" a motorcycle because in the grand scheme, insurance companies would rather pay $10,000 for a scratched bike than a $125,000 medical bill (or worse).
      I can't comment on their reasons, but they are really eager to total a bike because, outside of a few bikes, the 'retail' value is so low and repair prices are so high it is a quick and easy turnaround for them, and when you rebuild the bike for liability only they are glad to take your premiums for a bike they'll never have to fix/buy again.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

James May claims that he knows when he is driving a car with character and panache because a fizzing sensation engulfs the root of his penis. -Clarkson

Vehicles
      SMC/CRV
      04-26-2012 07:36 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      the 'retail' value is so low and repair prices are so high it is a quick and easy turnaround for them.
      Also a good point.
      هم المشكلة

5. Senior Member
      04-26-2012 09:03 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Also a good point.
      When I had my accident the insurance company totaled the bike and gave me a 'fair' market value for it. My gear on the other hand was valued on what it would cost to buy new today
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

James May claims that he knows when he is driving a car with character and panache because a fizzing sensation engulfs the root of his penis. -Clarkson

6. 04-26-2012 04:30 PM #6
      Based upon that damage, I would ask what I could settle for and keep the bike.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      DRZ400sm, CB550four, ACR Neon and a Subie Outback Wagon
      04-26-2012 05:13 PM #7
      um....I just came to say that bike looks great.... Sorry no help.

Vehicles
      one Chevy, one Audi, one VW, one Beemer, dead but not forgotten, and one Suzuki
      04-27-2012 12:05 AM #8
      I would fight them on a few fronts. First I would get some evaluations on the value of the bike and tell them you want that plus pain and suffering. You can also show that the damage is much less then the value of the bike and you want it fixed.

The one time I got hit on my GSX1100, I owned the title so I just demanded they pay to fix the bike. It worked, as they did just that.

Good luck and don't give up, insurance companies always suck to deal with.
      Quote Originally Posted by rice is burning View Post
      I get tired of watching Hummer H2s race around. It's like a bikini contest for 300 lb women.

Vehicles
      2002 Subaru Outback, 2003 Miata, 2006 EX500R, 2011 ZX-6R
      04-27-2012 12:18 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by fast20thgti View Post
      So my question is, How does this process work? I have a loan on my bike for $13,000 and im thinking Im going to be bike-less, and still have a balance on my loan that ill have to pay? Can someone thats gone thru this help me out. How should i go about this?
      Works exactly the same as a car. If you bought GAP insurance when you bought the bike that will take care of the difference in your higher loan amount and (presumably) the lower payout. If you don't have GAP insurance you'll be stuck with the difference, and I'll assume you can pursue legal action against the person who hit hit for that difference since it was their action that totaled the bike. The latter happened to a buddy of mine, minus the collision (he low-sided, his fault). He didn't have GAP insurance and was stuck with about a $2,000-$3,000 difference that he had to come up with out of his pocket.
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      What, none of you watch reruns on TV?
      Quote Originally Posted by NPH View Post
      I don't know about you but, I get angry and shout "IB4TL" when one comes on.

Vehicles
      2007 HD Softail Deluxe 2009 FJ Cruiser
      05-04-2012 02:01 AM #10
      thanks for the replies brothas, I went ahead and went thru my insurance (progressive) for the repairs. They ended up cutting me a check for almost 6g's on the spot. They said they'll collect the money from the other insurance company. so looks like im back in buisness. now i gotta deal with the bodily injury adjuster now.