Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AdBlue spill... WTF... just noticed today...

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL, 1994 Ford Ranger
      04-30-2012 03:51 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Imola Yellow GTi View Post
      Perhaps this is just me being pessimistic.
      I would be extremely pessimistic.

I have to wonder how many other 2012 Passat TDI owners have had this problem, I can't believe the OP is the only one.
      TDI, the only reason to own a Volkswagen.

2. 04-30-2012 04:07 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by jkinzel View Post
      I would be extremely pessimistic.

I have to wonder how many other 2012 Passat TDI owners have had this problem, I can't believe the OP is the only one.
      What "problem"? Really, really, a$$blindingly stupid dealer employee(s)?

3. 04-30-2012 06:55 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by 2VWatatime View Post
      What "problem"? Really, really, a$$blindingly stupid dealer employee(s)?
      i wonder if this doesn't occur at the chattanooga plant during manufacturing? before it's loaded onto the truck?

ALSO... there was a case in the news recently (few months back) where a train car full of passats FELL OVER, and those cars were "remanufactured" and sold.... perhaps the OP got one of those cars?

my car had the rear seats not locked into place, although to eyeball them you would think they were. first time i hit the brakes really hard, SMACK! the rear seats came flying forward. i wonder if the dealership did that, or the plant? and imagine if i had rear passengers back there??

4. 04-30-2012 07:05 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by teknokrat View Post
      i wonder if this doesn't occur at the chattanooga plant during manufacturing? before it's loaded onto the truck?
      Sincerely doubtful as they use the AdBlue system.

ALSO... there was a case in the news recently (few months back) where a train car full of passats FELL OVER, and those cars were "remanufactured" and sold....
      perhaps the OP got one of those cars?
      That was a grand total of 10 cars in late January. Not the OP's car

my car had the rear seats not locked into place, although to eyeball them you
      would think they were. first time i hit the brakes really hard, SMACK! the rear
      seats came flying forward. i wonder if the dealership did that, or the plant?
      and imagine if i had rear passengers back there??
      ?? Are you saying the entire rear seat assembly was not attatched and that PDI never caught it? If so, wow.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '07 Passat 3.6 4mo wagon; '05 GLS 4mo wagon
      04-30-2012 07:53 PM #55
      Dealerships represent the manufacturer. It is where 95% of VW customers interact with and communicate with VW.

IMO dealer problem = VW problem. Consumers should expect that any dealer represents the brand fully as it is their point of relationship with VW.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      04-30-2012 08:55 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Incrementalg View Post
      Dealerships represent the manufacturer. It is where 95% of VW customers interact with and communicate with VW.

IMO dealer problem = VW problem. Consumers should expect that any dealer represents the brand fully as it is their point of relationship with VW.
      I agree 100%

7. 04-30-2012 10:11 PM #57
      I googled "is adblue corrosive?" The second link had this. It took two seconds.

http://www.daf.eu/SiteCollectionDocu..._the_facts.pdf

"What if I spill AdBlue?
      Don't worry. You can rinse
      it off with water.
      With small spillages you may see white crystals forming after
      a while but they are non-corrosive and can be wiped away."

8. 04-30-2012 11:41 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by ODIS View Post
      I googled "is adblue corrosive?" The second link had this. It took two seconds.

http://www.daf.eu/SiteCollectionDocu..._the_facts.pdf

"What if I spill AdBlue?
      Don't worry. You can rinse
      it off with water.
      With small spillages you may see white crystals forming after
      a while but they are non-corrosive and can be wiped away."
      Check the BP link as well. FYI it has an alkaline of 9.0.

Commercial truck maker, DAF, downplays the fact that Adblue should not come in contact with metal. It can be no issue if handled right away. In my case, I was not informed and found out 5 days afterwards. Here's another take on AdBlue from an AdBlue brand. http://www.bluecat.ie/FAQ/AdBlue_FAQ...corrosive.html
      Last edited by Imola Yellow GTi; 04-30-2012 at 11:51 PM.

9. 05-01-2012 07:33 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Incrementalg View Post
      More like 99%. So?

Again, so what? Do you expect someone from VWGoA to show up & fire the employee? Search the "quick lube" bays for evidence of AdBlue tampering? Lean over the neck of every dealer mechanic in America 24/7?

I'm no fan of VW's (in America) antiquated Dealer Agreements, but this isn't a "VW" corporate problem - the dealer screwed the pooch & now needs to make good.

10. 05-01-2012 08:40 AM #60
      I'm no fan of VW's (in America) antiquated Dealer Agreements, but this isn't a "VW" corporate problem - the dealer screwed the pooch & now needs to make good.
      Hopefully with Corporate involved it will put pressure on the Dealer to do the right thing. If this car is important as VWoA makes it sound, VWoA has every interest on keeping the Dealer's resolution correct and on course.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      05-01-2012 10:42 AM #61
      More like 99%. So?

Again, so what? Do you expect someone from VWGoA to show up & fire the employee? Search the "quick lube" bays for evidence of AdBlue tampering? Lean over the neck of every dealer mechanic in America 24/7?

I don't disagree with you the dealer needs to make good. I'm with you 100% on that. I'm merely saying that from a consumer standpoint, VW dealerships, VW corporate, VW finance and VW manufacturing are not separate entities. Mishaps and/or problems on any one of these fronts is a VW problem.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      05-01-2012 12:13 PM #62
      I'm sure this a pipe dream, but I would hope the leadership of VW will take this issue by the horns and do something about it.

This is not good public relations for VW and I would expect that this incident and this thread will be brought to the attention of the higher-ups in VWofA.

I would then expect VWofA to send a representative to the offending dealership to find out what happened and how to keep it from ever happening again. Did the person who spilled the DEF have proper training? Was a short cut taken? Was it mechanical failure that caused the spill?

As a result of the investigation I would hope VW realizes the inherent flaw of their design and changes it to an external filling location such as the Audi deign.

On the 2012 Volkswagen Passat what other vital fluids are filled from the inside of the car? You can blame the dealership all you want, but I believe VW needs to step up and take responsibility for this because of their poor design created by engineers or bean counters and authorized for production.
      Last edited by jkinzel; 05-01-2012 at 05:19 PM.

13. 05-01-2012 06:21 PM #63
      Only AdBlue is filled inside the car.

Car is at the dealer.

14. 05-01-2012 07:25 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by jkinzel View Post
      I'm sure this a pipe dream, but I would hope the leadership of VW will take this issue by the horns and do something about it.
      What, exactly? Oh goody...

This is not good public relations for VW and I would expect that this incident
      and this thread will be brought to the attention of the higher-ups in VWofA.
      News flash - it's bad PR for the dealership most of all. What should VW do - string the Manager up, fire the techs, and burn the building to the ground?

I would then expect VWofA to send a representative to the offending dealership to find out what happened and how to keep it from ever happening again. Did the person who spilled the DEF have proper training? Was a short cut taken? Was it mechanical failure that caused the spill?
      Investigate? Sure. Make sure it never happens again? Really? How - put someone over the shoulder of ever tech in every dealership in the US?

As a result of the investigation I would hope VW realizes the inherent flaw of
      their design and changes it to an external filling location such as the Audi
      deign.
      And that would prevent what in this case? You do realize that if a tech spilled that much DEF @ the filler cap area one would still run the risk of spilled fluid in & around various seals & other components.

On the 2012 Volkswagen Passat what other vital fluids are filled from the inside of the car? You can blame the dealership all you want, but I believe VW needs
      to step up and take responsibility for this because of their poor design created
      by engineers or bean counters and authorized for production.
      You can believe whatever you wish. In reality world, the AdBlue system was designed for several automakers to minimized the chances of what happened. FWIW, if someone tried a bulk fill in my Touareg the results would be similar - along w/a number of other DEF equipped vehicles on the market.

15. 05-01-2012 08:35 PM #65
      Sincerely doubtful as they use the AdBlue system.

That was a grand total of 10 cars in late January. Not the OP's car

?? Are you saying the entire rear seat assembly was not attatched and that PDI never caught it? If so, wow.
      no i was talking about the latch that holds the seats in place, for folding the seats down to access the trunk space. the car was given to me with the seats unlatched, but they LOOKED latched. they weren't broken, just unlatched.

16. 05-01-2012 09:04 PM #66
      For some reason CustomerCare has been informed that this is a detail due to an AdBlue spill. Detail? Really? Is 'detail' used to describe clean up?

17. Member
      Vehicles
      05-01-2012 10:29 PM #67
      Sounds like they're using the term detail as in wash and detail the car?
      Last edited by Incrementalg; 05-01-2012 at 10:33 PM.

18. 05-01-2012 11:45 PM #68
      For some reason CustomerCare has been informed that this is a detail due to an AdBlue spill. Detail? Really? Is 'detail' used to describe clean up?
      Generally, yes, that's the term used for a more than casual cleanup. Not "detail" as in show prep, but think of it as more than Winston Wolf...

19. 05-02-2012 06:33 AM #69
      Generally, yes, that's the term used for a more than casual cleanup. Not "detail" as in show prep, but think of it as more than Winston Wolf...
      "alright gentlemen, don't start sucking each other's dicks just yet...."

and he drove an acura nsx, very nice.

Vehicles
      2011 Touareg TDI Exec
      05-02-2012 12:03 PM #70
      VR6 > TDI

You guys continue to make my argument for me

21. 05-02-2012 01:00 PM #71
      People lets not get carried away here.

The dealer is a good dealer. They have taken care of my GTi with no issues. Just because one tech goofed (and we still don't know how someone can botch something as simple as refilling AdBlue) does not mean the dealer and its service staff are terrible.

We all agree some refinement on the refill design should be done to make the design more forgiving. Either go with the Touareg or Q7 design. The brand is a good brand. The car is a good car.

As long as this is documented and if issues occur further down the road, my isolated case will be handled appropiately by the dealer (if needed by me) every step of the way.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
      05-02-2012 01:38 PM #72
      People lets not get carried away here.

The dealer is a good dealer. They have taken care of my GTi with no issues. Just because one tech goofed (and we still don't know how someone can botch something as simple as refilling AdBlue) does not mean the dealer and its service staff are terrible.

We all agree some refinement on the refill design should be done to make the design more forgiving. Either go with the Touareg or Q7 design. The brand is a good brand. The car is a good car.

As long as this is documented and if issues occur further down the road, my isolated case will be handled appropiately by the dealer (if needed by me) every step of the way.
      This is a good post. This thread should be a poster on the Internet disease whereby one screwup by one individual (in this case, the tech doing the AdBlue refill) becomes some giant issue that should result in new cars all around, a congressional inquiry, etc. or else The End of the World as We Know It. As my sister-in-law says, "Get a grip."

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI, 2005 Ford F-250 6.0 diesel, 2007 Artitic Fox 5th Wheel
      05-02-2012 04:19 PM #73
      Everyone remember this thread..... if he keeps this car until the "wheels fall off", this WILL become an issue! So, if not for him, it'll be the sucker that buys it next!
      2012 Passat SE TDI NAV
      2005 F250 PSD 4X4 LB CrewCab Arizona Beige / Blue Spring / Gauges / Coolant Filter / SG-II / Peragon Bed Cover
      2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel

24. 05-02-2012 05:06 PM #74

We all agree some refinement on the refill design should be done to make the design more forgiving. Either go with the Touareg or Q7 design. The brand is a good brand. The car is a good car..
      The fill design is fine, and despite what some here seem to think, the Touareg fill is done inside the vehicle.

25. 05-02-2012 05:30 PM #75
      The fill design is fine, and despite what some here seem to think, the Touareg fill is done inside the vehicle.
      Look at the Touareg design closely again. Access cover allows you to access filler hole outside of car. Any spill is isolated to the exterior. It's basically a round hole cut out in the body. Passat has no where for spills to evac.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast