Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Analog video to digital storage media

1. Member
      Vehicles
      More than I need
      04-26-2012 09:52 AM #1
      Anyone found or know of a good and reasonably affordable video transferring company that will transfer analog video cassettes (Beta, VHS, 8mm cassette and other non commercial camcorder formats) to DVD? Editing is not needed as that can be done later once everything is saved to DVD. I can/could do the Beta and VHS transfers at home but I no longer have the camcorders I would need to dub my video home 'movies' to DVD. Besides, I really don't have the free time to do real time video dubbing - even if I still had the camcorders that originally recorded the tapes to dub from. Thanks in advance to those with advice.
      RB

2. Member
      Vehicles
      RWD Swedish Rectangle with 5spd transmission
      05-08-2012 06:46 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Rowayton View Post
      Anyone found or know of a good and reasonably affordable video transferring company that will transfer analog video cassettes (Beta, VHS, 8mm cassette and other non commercial camcorder formats) to DVD? Editing is not needed as that can be done later once everything is saved to DVD. I can/could do the Beta and VHS transfers at home but I no longer have the camcorders I would need to dub my video home 'movies' to DVD. Besides, I really don't have the free time to do real time video dubbing - even if I still had the camcorders that originally recorded the tapes to dub from. Thanks in advance to those with advice.
      RB
      http://www.walmart.com/ip/Roxio-Easy...VD-PC/11997643

If you have the time to do it yourself, that will be the cheapest. Transfer services for these types of transfers are expensive for what they're doing.

As long as you're not trying to go 8mm, 16mm, 35mm etc to digital print, I say do it yourself.

As for 8mm transfers contact Pac Lab, they're the cheapest on the east coast. http://www.pac-lab.com/

You'll have to ship, but they're the cheapest I've found. The quality is decent for what they're doing. They wont do any post processing. So it's transferred as is.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      More than I need
      05-09-2012 08:02 AM #3
      Thanks Hipster. I'll get a quote from them. I can do the VHS stuff in real time at home as a sailing buddy of mine has an analog to digital dubbing deck that actually transfers pretty well. The fly in the ointment is all my analog 8mm vacation videotape.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      RWD Swedish Rectangle with 5spd transmission
      05-09-2012 10:57 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Rowayton View Post
      Thanks Hipster. I'll get a quote from them. I can do the VHS stuff in real time at home as a sailing buddy of mine has an analog to digital dubbing deck that actually transfers pretty well. The fly in the ointment is all my analog 8mm vacation videotape.
      Well if you can track down a projector, what you could do is set up the projection and have a digital camera mounted over the projector, or directly next to it and just record the projection. It takes some fiddling with moving the camera forwards and back to get the projection full frame, but it's a trick I've seen done in the past.