Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Questions for anyone running the EVOMS intake on their MK2 3.2?

Vehicles
      2007 BMW Z4M Coupe, 2008 Audi TT Quattro 3.2 Coupe
      04-26-2012 11:33 AM #1
      So I ordered the EVOMS intake for my '08 3.2 and tried installing it last night. Looks like they sent the MK5 R32 one thinking its more of less the same. And it is expect for the mounting style of the box which uses calls for a press fit using R32 style rubber grommets onto plastic posts. The TT uses an integrated rubber bushing/bolt design that will not work with the EVOMS.

What did you guys do?
      2007 BMW Z4M Coupe, 2008 Audi TT 3.2 Coupe Quattro 6MT

Vehicles
      MK I 225 MK II V6 MK II TTS
      04-27-2012 03:55 AM #2
      Mine fitted no problem at all

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 09:55 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by robokn View Post
      Mine fitted no problem at all
      Was that on a 3.2 MK2? What year?

The stock airbox mounting plate is very different between the MK5 R32 and my 2008 3.2 TT. The EVOMS is designed for the R32. They dont even list the TT intake for the 8J 3.2- I only realized that later.

4. Member
      04-27-2012 10:34 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by pal View Post

The stock airbox mounting plate is very different between the MK5 R32 and my 2008 3.2 TT. The EVOMS is designed for the R32. They dont even list the TT intake for the 8J 3.2- I only realized that later.
      Can you not remove the grommet from the shroud and stick the bolt through the hole? Does it line up at all? I had a MK5 R32 with the EVOMS and I removed that grommet. It wasn't necessary. But there's a small bolt on the side that you'd need to attach. I don't know if the TT has the same mounting points. The hose connecting to the MAF is pretty solid so you only need one other mounting point to keep it from moving around.

Frankly, that EVOMS shroud is pretty pathetic and you shouldn't worry about drilling a hole or two if you need to. You might want to spray it afterward to keep it from rusting, though. That sumbitch got HOT on my car. I always wanted to lay up my own carbon fiber shroud with a gold-foil liner but ended up moving to Germany before I could build it. Ohwell. Good luck with it. Not sure about performance, but it does make the engine sound pretty good.

- Jeremy -

Where the headless horseman roams, New York, United States
      Vehicles
      Audi MK2 TT 3.2 CQ
      04-27-2012 11:16 AM #5

All MK2 TT 3.2 are the same engine wise no matter what the year.

Looks like the It's more or less the same as my VF intake which is also made for the MK5 R32 without being listed for the TT. I had no issues installing mine, fitment isn't 100% but it's good enough so i dont worry about if failing on me lol

Sent from my iPhone4.

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 12:36 PM #6
      Thanks guys.

The 2 big holes on the base plate of the EVOMS don't perfectly line up but that may be because the box is sitting on a tilt without the grommets. The bolt on the stock airbox is a plastic head and the rubber "grommet" on it is stubborn and I dont want to break the stock box.

You guys do bring some good ideas though- with the MAF securely attached on the one side and the small screw for the front that does line up, I can probably jig up some rubber spacers and glue them to the box so it rests at the right height.

I have ordered the R32 base plate to see if it will bolt on the TT. I like OE fitment.

On the EVOMS itself, I was dissappointed at how heavy it is and has no heat insulation. I was considering the gold liner for the walls as well. Any ideas on where I can get it to line the outside of the box with it?

Where the headless horseman roams, New York, United States
      Vehicles
      Audi MK2 TT 3.2 CQ
      04-27-2012 01:30 PM #7
      I'll snap a few photos for ya when I get back to the car

Sent from my iPhone4.

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 02:00 PM #8
      Thanks Sandeman.

The R32 base plate came in to the dealer today. I will try and tackle this project on Sunday in between helping change the alternator on my feiend's 2000 GTI VR6 and prepping my M Coupe for Pocono's "tricky triangle" on May 6. I will post up details here.

9. Member
      04-28-2012 02:25 AM #9
      Thanks guys.

The 2 big holes on the base plate of the EVOMS don't perfectly line up but that may be because the box is sitting on a tilt without the grommets. The bolt on the stock airbox is a plastic head and the rubber "grommet" on it is stubborn and I dont want to break the stock box.

You guys do bring some good ideas though- with the MAF securely attached on the one side and the small screw for the front that does line up, I can probably jig up some rubber spacers and glue them to the box so it rests at the right height.

I have ordered the R32 base plate to see if it will bolt on the TT. I like OE fitment.

On the EVOMS itself, I was dissappointed at how heavy it is and has no heat insulation. I was considering the gold liner for the walls as well. Any ideas on where I can get it to line the outside of the box with it?
      Quite a few places but here's one I was looking at yesterday:

http://www.elephantmotorsports.com/h...old-p-526.html

- Jeremy -

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 10:45 AM #10
      I got the R32 bracket (well, technically a friend picked it up from the dealer for me) and was able to fot the EVOMS close to perfectly. I will do a full write up and gotchas in a separate thread, but to complete the info for this one here are the pics that show the differences-

The plastic one with the molded prongs onto which the EVOMS is a press fit. Note that the TT is a metal bracket with threaded holes for a bolt on fit.

The rubber grommet that goes onto the 2 EVOMS base and are the actual attachments onto the prongs of the R32 bracket.

And lastly the part numbers of the R32 pieces