VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

vr6 alternator compatability

8K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  jaso028 
#1 ·
I have searched up and down the forum to see what exactly is backwards compatible when it comes to bolting up an alternator to the 2.8 24v motor. The compatibility between the 12v and 24v and across the mk2-mk5/6 vr's in general...thanks!

#4 ·
I dont know if it would work, but the Touareg alternator is supposedly bigger.. I cant remember the amps it turns out but I am pretty sure I read somewhere they are 150a or something like that...

are you trying to get a bigger alternator for stereo equipment?
cause if you are I would just run a 120a and a Cap... that should suffice...

or you might have to contact one of those alternator places that build them for stereo equipment, but i hear those are pretty pricy somethign like $500-600+

#6 ·
Funny, I just asked this question about a week ago. I know a few guys that do spl competitions. They said go with ohio generators. There's other alternator companies out there such as DC Power, Iraggi and Mechman. I was told their quality has gone down. I do not have personal experience with any of these products, it's just what the owner of a audio shop told me. A lot of people on other forums rave over DC Power.

About the toureg, the 3.2 toureg had a 150a alternator that might fit. I had a buddy that worked at a dealership check the part numbers and he said the only difference in the part number of the bracket that held the alternator was one letter. The bdf was a D and the toureg 3.2 was a F. He said my best bet was to buy a t-reg alternator and see if it fit. He said he could repin the harness pretty easily using my stock wiring. The thing about the toureg is that it's claiming 150a but that's probably peak. A lot of these aftermarket companies are putting out 150 - 200a at idle.

What my friend who does SPL competition said to do before going to ohio generator is going to a local shop that rebuilds alternators and have them rebuild my factory alternator.

FYI, i haven't upgraded my alternator yet but it's going to have to be done soon. Driving at 55mph the car starts to stutter when the bass hits. Did you upgrade "the big 3" yet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.