Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Thermostat removal and install. Help please

Vehicles
      Mk2 16v(rip) Mk4 GTI & JETTA vr6 (rip) mk2 jetta vr6(project) mk4 2.0(daily), B6 A4( other project
      04-26-2012 10:40 AM #1
      I have a b6 3.0. I trying to locate and change the thermostat without having to remove the bumper etc. Does anyone know or have changed this out on theirs? Can you give me a small walk through or point me in the right direction to find a DIY write up?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
      Volkshore | www.volkshore.net
      Go fast or don't go at all

Vehicles
      B6 A4 3.0
      04-26-2012 12:00 PM #2
      Found this quote on another forum

"good luck with the v6 i replaced my t-stat without removing more than the covers and the acc belt, took 7 hours and was a bitch, then i had to do it again because when i bolted everything up again i somehow droped the o ring.the v6 have the t-stat behind the t-belt so its reallty hard."

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi...ng-much-60917/

This guys saying it took him 3 hours...

http://www.audi-forums.com/b6-forum/...hermostat.html

I am now praying i never have to replace mine... If you know a good shop, just take it to them...

Vehicles
      Mk2 16v(rip) Mk4 GTI & JETTA vr6 (rip) mk2 jetta vr6(project) mk4 2.0(daily), B6 A4( other project
      04-26-2012 12:03 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by 98blueb5 View Post
      Found this quote on another forum

"good luck with the v6 i replaced my t-stat without removing more than the covers and the acc belt, took 7 hours and was a bitch, then i had to do it again because when i bolted everything up again i somehow droped the o ring.the v6 have the t-stat behind the t-belt so its reallty hard."

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi...ng-much-60917/

This guys saying it took him 3 hours...

http://www.audi-forums.com/b6-forum/...hermostat.html

I am now praying i never have to replace mine... If you know a good shop, just take it to them...

Yup i saw the same thing on Audizine..Arrrg. i really dont wanna bring it to a shop. Thanks Man.

Vehicles
      B6 A4 3.0
      04-26-2012 12:04 PM #4
      Just noticed you are "around boston".. If your willing to drive to Manchester, give Reflex Tuning a call. Doug and Heather should be able to help you out.. Wiked good people, great prices; always willing to help..

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 03:00 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by 98blueb5 View Post
      Just noticed you are "around boston".. If your willing to drive to Manchester, give Reflex Tuning a call. Doug and Heather should be able to help you out.. Wiked good people, great prices; always willing to help..

Funny you mentioned them. I just sent them an email about it doing a complete timing job since the whole front end would be coming off anyways.

Thanks again

6. 04-27-2012 11:47 AM #6
      Not sure about a 3.0; but on my 1.8t I was able to do this pretty easily by just removing the intake manifold and working from the top of the motor.

I'll see if I can find a diagram of the 3.0 and figure out an easier way; regardless some things will probably have to come out for you to change it if you want an easy job.

Vehicles
      02' S6 Atlas grey / 02' S6 Silver
      04-28-2012 02:37 AM #7
      I can tell you it's pretty tight with the front clip OFF. You could put the rad support in a sort of 50% service position. Remove front bumper cover, Just loosen it all up and tilt it way forward. I did mine with the timing belt- and I could imagine doing a T-stat by itself if I had to, but I wonder how much time you'd save. It's not hard to put the front in service position, accesory belt off is easy from there- then PS pulley and you can get a look at it.
      It's tight.