Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City of Miami discovers 300 vehicles it bought in 2006. And never used.

1. 04-26-2012 05:28 PM #1

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      04-26-2012 05:31 PM #2
      haha how the hell does that even happen

3. 04-26-2012 05:31 PM #3
      Florida/10

Vehicles
      '91 964, '93 E34, '05 GTI
      04-26-2012 05:35 PM #4
      Wow.... but one of the main questions for me is how did the tires not go flat.. or how did no one at this parking garage notice these vehicles?

#firstworldproblem

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      04-26-2012 05:35 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoShima View Post
      haha how the hell does that even happen
      My thoughts exactly.

How do you buy 300 cars, and then park them somewhere so out of the way you never see them again?
      Teefy Buna

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      04-26-2012 05:36 PM #6
      I doubt this was an accident. Someone that's friends with someone powerful probably made this deal happen and got a nice little commission for a job well done.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      04-26-2012 05:36 PM #7
      They should send some of those Chargers up here to Boston, so the BPD can stop using 10 year old beat to shi*t crown vics

Vehicles
      2004 vw jetta wagon, 1990 vw jetta coupe, 1980 rabbit truck
      04-26-2012 05:42 PM #8
      I bet I can get a good deal on one those.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron@RMAMotorsport View Post
      real deal<p>After spending two months in the mk3 forum it drove into the woods and set fire to itself.

9. 04-26-2012 05:42 PM #9
      I wish I could say that city governments never have any issues like this, but the complete opposite is true. City governments are notorious for wasteful excessive spending, and then having to deal with it later. This is one of the things I studied in college, and the examples are endless.

Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500 Sport, 2005 Saab 9-5 aero, 1996 Lincoln Town Car
      04-26-2012 05:44 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by FourPointOh View Post
      They should send some of those Chargers up here to Boston, so the BPD can stop using 10 year old beat to shi*t crown vics

Why, they'd just be beat to **** after 3 months in Beantown.
      Remember take hold of your time here
      Give some meanings to the means to your end

11. 04-26-2012 05:50 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I doubt this was an accident. Someone that's friends with someone powerful probably made this deal happen and got a nice little commission for a job well done.
      It happen al lot here in Brazil, the buy a lot of stuff just to pocket some nice commission!!

04-26-2012 05:51 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      I wish I could say that city governments never have any issues like this, but the complete opposite is true. City governments are notorious for wasteful excessive spending, and then having to deal with it later. This is one of the things I studied in college, and the examples are endless.
      I wouldn't necessarily call this specific issue an example of "wasteful excessive spending" as much as it's an example of an incompetent County fleet maintenance tracking system and/or department.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      04-26-2012 05:59 PM #14
      There is a political movement underway that seeks to have a smaller federal government in exchange for more regional and state level control. This article highlights the fact that even regional level governments are just as prone to wasteful spending and most likely some underlying corruption.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      04-26-2012 06:08 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      There is a political movement underway that seeks to have a smaller federal government in exchange for more regional and state level control. This article highlights the fact that even regional level governments are just as prone to wasteful spending and most likely some underlying corruption.
      Sure, and you can also find endless examples of theft and corruption in private industry too.

Heck you can go to any big city in the world and find an independent cafe that has some hipster with 20/20 vision who wears glasses, stealing tip money so he can keep up with his PBR addiction.

It's just how people are. Welcome to planet Earth.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      04-26-2012 06:12 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by warren_s View Post
      Sure, and you can also find endless examples of theft and corruption in private industry too.

Heck you can go to any big city in the world and find an independent cafe that has some hipster with 20/20 vision who wears glasses, stealing tip money so he can keep up with his PBR addiction.

It's just how people are. Welcome to planet Earth.
      No doubt. I'm not surprised at all. I'm just saying that the people who are clamoring for more local and state powers need to realize that local govt. can be just as screwed up as the fed.

04-26-2012 06:18 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by dubjager View Post
      Wow.... but one of the main questions for me is how did the tires not go flat.. or how did no one at this parking garage notice these vehicles?

#firstworldproblem
      They probably had security people at the garage and perhaps maintenance people who made sure the cars did not decompose (i.e. they kept the tires inflated). I'm sure they were wondering why in the hell all these city cars go unused, but any questions to a supervisor were probably just brushed off with a "Heck if I know. Just keep guarding the garage" and if the question did go any further, it probably got lost in the city's bureaucracy. That's all conjecture on my part, though.
      2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring

Vehicles
      1990 16VG60 Corrado on MS2 - Turbo diesel Grand Cherokee - SR5 4Runner
      04-26-2012 06:20 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
      I wouldn't necessarily call this specific issue an example of "wasteful excessive spending" as much as it's an example of an incompetent County fleet maintenance tracking system and/or department.

What's your problem? Why don't you come out and just say it?

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      04-26-2012 06:27 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      It's like when the the NY MTA reported a loss, only to open door number 5 and report a surplus, only to realize it was all funny money and report and even higher loss.
      Project Corrado RS: Keep Up
      MSD 12v VR6 coilpack setup/components For Sale: Here
      Other items for sale: Sparco, VR6 HVAC box, VR6 radiators, Mocal Oil Cooler: Here

04-26-2012 06:28 PM #20
      Stop the hyperbole. There is no evidence that this is a "wasteful" spending. For all we know, Miami-Dade County could have really used these cars.

20. 04-26-2012 06:33 PM #21
      The real kick in the head is that those Prius (plural) likely all have dead battery packs from never getting a charge for 5-6 years. That's an expensive mistake to further compound this wasteful neglect.

Oh Florida...you voted a known criminal in as governor, you provide TCL with countless "point and laugh" situations, and tomorrow you'll surprise us yet again. Winning.
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

Vehicles
      2004 vw jetta wagon, 1990 vw jetta coupe, 1980 rabbit truck
      04-26-2012 06:41 PM #22
      No wonder cities say they are going in debt and need to cut stuff. Lets go spend money on stuff, that we never use, make the taxpayers believe we need it and then just pretend we are using. Way to go, wonder why people are getting tired of the state and government saying stuff and spending.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron@RMAMotorsport View Post
      real deal<p>After spending two months in the mk3 forum it drove into the woods and set fire to itself.

Vehicles
      1990 16VG60 Corrado on MS2 - Turbo diesel Grand Cherokee - SR5 4Runner
      04-26-2012 06:41 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by DJMRDARK View Post
      Oh Florida...you voted a known criminal in as governor, you provide TCL with countless "point and laugh" situations, and tomorrow you'll surprise us yet again. Winning.

Exactly. Miami (Miami-Dade, whatever, could never tell the difference as a visitor) is still section of a ridiculous red US state.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      04-26-2012 06:57 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Stop the hyperbole. There is no evidence that this is a "wasteful" spending. For all we know, Miami-Dade County could have really used these cars.

Not sure if serious?

If you were to buy ONE car with your own money and then not even care that you haven't used or seen that car since 2006, that was probably not an expenditure that you needed to make.

Spending money on something that you don't need and won't even use is wasteful.

Vehicles
      '12 GTI 2-DR
      04-26-2012 06:57 PM #25
      Google Carlos Alvarez, he's the culprit. BTW, the City of Miami Beach has a few hundred more, they even have some high-tech machinery stored in one of the municipal parking garages.
      2015 M235i On Order | 2012 GTI MKVI | 2013 CC | 2012 A5

04-26-2012 06:59 PM #26
      The difference is that the federal government is one-size-fits-all (which is really one size fits none) and can print money whenever it wants, devaluing the currency for everyone. If you're in a poorly run city/county/state, you can always move to a different one, and you don't need to worry that they will borrow $5 trillion in 3 years and just print more money.

I agree it's probably just as likely, if not more likely for mid-size governments to make these kinds of mistakes. As in, large enough that no single person knows what's going on, but too small to be able to afford high end oversight like an even larger entity. Still - like I said, at least you can always move to a different city/county/state if you need to and none of those smaller municipalities can get in the same size debt hole as a nation's government, nor do state governments get in the business of printing money*.

*Except California, which calls them IOU's and pretends that makes it ok.

26. 04-26-2012 07:00 PM #27
      This is Florida, where most of the population can't find their reading glasses. Honest mistake, really.

91.7 WXCI land - Listen to it, you will like it.
      04-26-2012 07:00 PM #28
      Hopefully they will be auctioned off and not crushed......then again its Florida

04-26-2012 07:03 PM #29
      Not sure if serious?

If you were to buy ONE car with your own money and then not even care that you haven't used or seen that car since 2006, that was probably not an expenditure that you needed to make.

Spending money on something that you don't need and won't even use is wasteful.
      You are missing context just like the rest of us. You don't know if these cars were not needed. There is no evidence of that. Why were these cars purchased? Unless you can answer that, you can't say this was a "wasteful" spending.

The only thing you could say conclusively is that there is incompetence involved. Someone lost track of these cars. But you can't say there were corruption involved as you alluded to in your original post. For all we know, they really needed these cars and ordered them through normal procurement process.

Vehicles
      2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T, current demo: 2015.5 XC60 T5 AWD
      04-26-2012 07:04 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by welderdood View Post
      Hopefully they will be auctioned off and not crushed......then again its Florida
      who cares? unless you are a ford econoline fan.
      What I do for a living? This is a small part of it www.lehmanvolvo.blogspot.com ...and now, so is this: www.infinitiofmechanicsburg.blogspot.com

30. 04-26-2012 07:07 PM #31
      Tax payers. Government's bitch.

Vehicles
      '79 Volvo 242 project car, '93 Volvo 945, '05 SAAB 9-5
      04-26-2012 07:17 PM #32
      bingo

CITY OF MIAMI
      "Anything measured in grams is infinitely more exciting than something measured in pounds" - JC
      1979 Volvo 242dl barn car save. Volvo b230ft engine swap, t5z trans, Holset HX35, megasquirt.
      http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=290558

Vehicles
      Mk2 Sheepmobile w/ a 3.2 24V poser swap
      04-26-2012 07:29 PM #33
      Government funding.

At the end of the fiscal year (or contract), if you haven't spent all the money you were allotted in the budget, you have to return any leftover funds.

So my guess is there was money allocated for the purchase of county-use vehicles. That money was not spent on vehicles within that year, and at the end of the fiscal year some purchasing / aquisitions schmoe was told to make that money disappear before the department had to give it back.

As to how a county gov't lost track of 300 vehicles, can't help you. I do know that management where I work has trouble keeping up with a few dozen.
      Quote Originally Posted by 1.9..16vTurbo View Post
      you should stick to that car your trying to paint

33. Member
      04-26-2012 07:31 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      The difference is that the federal government is one-size-fits-all (which is really one size fits none) and can print money whenever it wants, devaluing the currency for everyone. If you're in a poorly run city/county/state, you can always move to a different one, and you don't need to worry that they will borrow $5 trillion in 3 years and just print more money.

I agree it's probably just as likely, if not more likely for mid-size governments to make these kinds of mistakes. As in, large enough that no single person knows what's going on, but too small to be able to afford high end oversight like an even larger entity. Still - like I said, at least you can always move to a different city/county/state if you need to and none of those smaller municipalities can get in the same size debt hole as a nation's government, nor do state governments get in the business of printing money*.

*Except California, which calls them IOU's and pretends that makes it ok.

This.

Its a simple matter of scale. No one is saying that local/city governments are better or somehow better managed. Look at Chicago; historically the most politically corrupt city in the country. But its still just Chicago. Chicago doesnt set policy and make money decisions affecting the other 310,000,000 in the U.S.

34. 04-26-2012 07:44 PM #35
      Yep, someone got a nice kickback. They weren't used as they likely weren't needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast