Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Cruising"-- I don't understand why this was ever considered fun.

1. 04-26-2012 06:29 PM #1
      I first saw signs forbidding "cruising" in Hollywood a few years back. I took a split second to think of what the sign was exactly forbidding, and it was explained to me that it involved driving up and down the same street. I couldn't for the life of me understand why this appealed to anyone. It seems monumentally anticlimatic and boring. Perhaps it is something people did before my generation (I'm 25)? Can someone who has done this explain the appeal?

All I can think of if a bunch of bros in one car, probably yelling out the window to women.

Vehicles
      Subaru OB XT, Previa LE S/C Alltrac
      04-26-2012 06:34 PM #2
      Same reasons now as it was back then. To show off.

If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

3. 04-26-2012 06:36 PM #3
      We would cruise until you got matched up a light with somebody. Light turns green, GO!

That and cute girls in Corollas.

Also, guys would cruise for a few hours, meet up in a parking lot, decide where to go then split up and meet there to do some racing.

It's been going on for a very long time. Research the Ron Howard movie, "American Graffiti" filmed in Modesto.

Edit, beat me to it.

Also, two lane blacktop.

4. 04-26-2012 06:36 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
      Same reasons now as it was back then. To show off.

Seriously I don't get whats so hard to understand about it, its like asking whats the point of cars & coffee to show off your ****ing sweet car is the point.

5. 04-26-2012 06:40 PM #5
      +1 on the idea of cruising. i also don't understand why people would overpay for booze at a bar when they could just get it cheaper at the liquor store and surf facebook
      Girls and Money and New Clothes

Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      Keep in mind the noise you hear in an S2000 is the ENGINE, and not the exhaust note that VR6 people jizz over. I'd rather have a nice sounding engine than a nice sounding exhaust.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      04-26-2012 06:43 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ToucheTurtle View Post
      Seriously I don't get whats so hard to understand about it, its like asking whats the point of cars & coffee to show off your ****ing sweet car is the point.

The Car Lounge is full of people that hate cars and car culture.

7. 04-26-2012 06:43 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ToucheTurtle View Post
      So it's fun in a word where everyone has modded cars, drags them from every light, and there are no police around? (Ie almost 50 years ago) It looks a lot like trying to find a parking spot in downtown-- just endlessly driving around in circles.

Before my time, I suppose.

8. 04-26-2012 06:47 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
      So it's fun in a word where everyone has modded cars, drags them from every light, and there are no police around? (Ie almost 50 years ago) It looks a lot like trying to find a parking spot in downtown-- just endlessly driving around in circles.

It's left over from when we all didn't have high speed internet and phones. You actually had to drive around town and go places on Friday nights to see people. Hang out at a burger shack or the local strip and meet new people and girls.

It is an antiquated form of socializing that will probably never come back.

Vehicles
      Yellow Cab
      04-26-2012 06:49 PM #9
      Also, it dates back to a time before people (like the generation of the OP) spent their entire lives staring at their Facebook profile and watching TRL on MTV.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      04-26-2012 06:49 PM #10

You ever hear of the Woodward Dream Cruise?
      http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/

I think cruises are more enjoyable than car shows inside of convention halls. I prefer to see old and new cars outdoors and moving, like God intended it.

Last edited by whitejeep1989; 04-26-2012 at 06:52 PM.

11. 04-26-2012 06:56 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      You ever hear of the Woodward Dream Cruise?

I think Cruises are more enjoyable than car shows inside of convention halls. I prefer to see old and new cars outdoors and moving, like God intended it.

I haven't, but I go to classic car show meets almost every month in Palm Springs, just to look around. I also love 4x4, because you test driving skill, if in a different way. But still, looking back 10ish years ago when I first got into cars, I had a stick E30. I drove it to friend's houses where I drank and hit on girls if they happened to be over. Facebook didn't get BIG until a few years ago. At my school there was a lot of magazine racing, but there was no nearby dragstrip and getting a street racing ticket would have been the worst.

Vehicles
      Puma GTE / Audi A3 8L
      04-26-2012 06:58 PM #12
      You know How I know the OP never built a car?

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      04-26-2012 07:00 PM #13

All I can think of if a bunch of bros in one car, probably yelling out the window to women.
      And God forbid people actually socialize face to face with someone they might be attracted to!
      How do you think your parents met?

14. 04-26-2012 07:10 PM #14
      Nothing more douchy than guys trying to pick up girls from a car. Especially the passenger who usually doesn't even own the expensive car he's riding in.

15. 04-26-2012 07:12 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by AIRider View Post
      Nothing more douchy than guys trying to pick up girls from a car. Especially the passenger who usually doesn't even own the expensive car he's riding in.
      "Scrubs" women call them "Scrubs"

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1964 corvair 500, 1964 corvair monza spyder, 1963 corvair monza 900 convertible. i have a problem
      04-26-2012 07:15 PM #16

its about showing off your awesome car, and showing off your blood sweat and tears, i cant wait till my corvair is up and running to go cruising in it. and seeing and meeting other car fanatics who are also out cruising. and just generally enjoying driving
      Last edited by freedo84gti; 04-26-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Vehicles
      2008 9-3 2.0t
      04-26-2012 07:17 PM #17
      Not sure where the animosity towards younger people is coming from...I didn't think it ever went away? I still see people doing it all the time. Some people enjoy racing, some people enjoy going to shows, some people just enjoy a drive.

As for those who go around the same 4 blocks with their music all the way up, well...

18. 04-26-2012 07:19 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      "Scrubs" women call them "Scrubs"
      Video contains language: It's Aphex Twin's "Windowlicker"

http://youtu.be/JAt6jpBmHHM
      call it potatography

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      04-26-2012 07:33 PM #19
      When we were underage, we (just like all other 15-17 year olds with cars) used to cruise the Sunset Strip. It was complete mayhem, would take two hours to make the two mile trek from one side to the other. Lots of socializing with the opposite sex (especially if you were in a very nice car with a "bumpin'" system ). Pretty much a massive party on wheels. Of course, once one was of drinking age, he'd start to actually go to the clubs dotting the strip, instead of doing the "cruise" thing .

It was a great time, though. We had Shaq walk up to our car once. He was outside of a club, we yelled and he waded through the slow-moving traffic to hang out with us .

Cruising the Sunset Strip had been going on for decades before Beverly Hills PD/West Hollywood Sheriffs shut it down:

In the late '90s, the Sunset Strip became not only the place for Hollywood's beautiful people to see and be seen but also the place for teens from all over the Los Angeles area to cruise. Ironically, the influx of cruisers on the Sunset Strip was partly the result of a cruising crackdown on Hollywood and Crenshaw boulevards in next-door Los Angeles, which forced the cruisers to find new turf.

Two years ago, the Los Angeles Police Department formed a joint task force with the L.A. County Sheriff's Department and the California Highway Patrol to battle cruising on the Sunset Strip.

But the going has been tough, acknowledges LAPD officer Asta Webster, who admits that monitoring the ban is time-consuming and labor-intensive. Police must log in license plates, retrieve the information, and then issue tickets. On a typical night, between 45 and 65 officers are engaged in monitoring the Sunset Strip. From May 5 to August 28, 2003, a staggering 10,000 citations were given out for violations of the cruising ordinance and other related ordinances (illegal vehicle modifications, for example). And yet, almost unbelievably, cruising continues on the Sunset Strip.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-system-page-6
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      04-26-2012 07:41 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by AIRider View Post
      I don't know if I am old or what (41 y/o), but this was not an unusual thing to do back in my high school days. On a one way/one lane street the driver and passenger could talk to girls walking on sidewalks on both sides of the street. On a two lane street, only the passenger side of the car is close to the sidewalk, so the passenger is in the best position to talk to girls passing on the sidewalk. In fact, my buddies and I would jockey for the passenger seat based on who had the best "game". LOL. It's not douchey at all, especially when the women/girls are part of the same system/culture. Our local cruise spot was a street in Philly called South Street. It was a one way street, and speeds rarely topped 5 MPH. Girls dressed up to catch the attention of guys driving by in cars and the guys were more than happy to pay attention.

Vehicles
      92 SLC/69 FJ40/97 4Runner
      04-26-2012 07:42 PM #21
      When I was 17, I'd take my Charger and my buddy would take his Ranchero down to the strip and meet my cousin in his Cutlass and some of his friends and cruise. One of his friends had a Dragula. So much fun. Those days are long gone now, and I'm only 27...
      Quote Originally Posted by under the radar View Post
      if you're not into chicks, a dude can hold your cup too.
      Quote Originally Posted by BattleRabbit View Post
      How do you kill a Mk.ii? Run it with low oil, at redline for a few hours while jumping it off things. Fill the engine with sticks and dirt. Repeat.

22. 04-26-2012 07:42 PM #22
      Ever go to a car show? Cruisin was simply a moving car show.

Vehicles
      e46
      04-26-2012 07:43 PM #23
      I'm not looking to argue or debate, but doesn't it seem that cracking down on "cruising", which is essentially the repeated use of a public road over a short period of time in a car, is unconstitutional?

How do you ticket someone for driving? Then again it is california and well...I'll let you have your own opinion i suppose.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Prior Vehicles: MkIV GLI

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      04-26-2012 07:43 PM #24
      imagine no cell phones. You drive around looking for things to do on weekends because there isn't really anything going on but you don't want to stay at home and you don't really know where you friends are.
      Dave

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      04-26-2012 07:46 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post
      imagine no cell phones. You drive around looking for things to do on weekends because there isn't really anything going on but you don't want to stay at home and you don't really know where you friends are.

And as someone else has already pointed out, if you were too young to go into bars/clubs, hanging out in your car with your friends was really the only thing you could do to get out of the house.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata LS, 2006 Corvette-Sold, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (RIP)
      04-26-2012 07:51 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      When we were underage, we (just like all other 15-17 year olds with cars) used to cruise the Sunset Strip. It was complete mayhem, would take two hours to make the two mile trek from one side to the other. Lots of socializing with the opposite sex (especially if you were in a very nice car with a "bumpin'" system ). Pretty much a massive party on wheels. Of course, once one was of drinking age, he'd start to actually go to the clubs dotting the strip, instead of doing the "cruise" thing .

It was a great time, though. We had Shaq walk up to our car once. He was outside of a club, we yelled and he waded through the slow-moving traffic to hang out with us .

Cruising the Sunset Strip had been going on for decades before Beverly Hills PD/West Hollywood Sheriffs shut it down:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-system-page-6
      Where are the prime cruising streets now? I want to know for um, research purposes
      "When you need to get somewhere quickly, I'd rather get there the fastest I can, looking the best I can"-Rutledge Wood

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      04-26-2012 07:56 PM #27
      The Car Lounge is full of people that hate cars and car culture.
      We love cars. We just hate the people who own and drive them.

If it weren't for them, cars would be perfect.
      Looking for a ratty Miata? My '90 is for sale.
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      4+ pages and at least 1 death threat in a compact-car comparison test thread - oh wait, this is TCL.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      00 Prelude SH, 08 CR-V AWD, 92 NSX Coupe
      04-26-2012 07:59 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      Where are the prime cruising streets now? I want to know for um, research purposes
      Sunset is still a great spot to cruise, but yeah, they have no cruising laws, so if you get caught going back and forth you can get a ticket.

I'll admit it, I like showing off the NSX. Sometimes on my way back from stuff, I'll make a detour to cut through Laguna Beach and drive by main beach. It's fun seeing people's reactions to the car and the smiles you get from old guys seeing one of their dream cars when they were young.

Vehicles
      11 APR K04 GTI, 03 Z1000
      04-26-2012 08:05 PM #29
      Anyone ever think people just like to drive? Or discover new areas? I'm only 24 and more often than not I'll go for a drive down and around the city and back just because I love driving. I just moved to a new place and when I first got here all I did was drive around and try to learn my way around and discover new things. Things are a lot cooler in person than they are on the internet...
      11 GTI APR K04
      Build Thread
      Best ET: 12.8
      Best Trap: 113

30. 04-26-2012 08:06 PM #30
      I don't know if I am old or what (41 y/o), but this was not an unusual thing to do back in my high school days. On a one way/one lane street the driver and passenger could talk to girls walking on sidewalks on both sides of the street. On a two lane street, only the passenger side of the car is close to the sidewalk, so the passenger is in the best position to talk to girls passing on the sidewalk. In fact, my buddies and I would jockey for the passenger seat based on who had the best "game". LOL. It's not douchey at all, especially when the women/girls are part of the same system/culture. Our local cruise spot was a street in Philly called South Street. It was a one way street, and speeds rarely topped 5 MPH. Girls dressed up to catch the attention of guys driving by in cars and the guys were more than happy to pay attention.
      This must be the key. I have never seen, nor my girlfriend ever experienced, a non-douche trying to hit on her from a car. It's something like "Hey gurrrl" or "commere a minute" or some clicking/whistling sound. Most girls in my age bracket find that behavior immensely creepy or downright dangerous to respond to.

31. 04-26-2012 08:06 PM #31
      Hanging out with your best friends, swapping car stories, showing off your ride, enjoying the freedom of driving the vehicle to wherever you wanted to go. Can you honestly say you've never just driven around to enjoy driving your car?

32. 04-26-2012 08:08 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by gsprobe View Post
      Hanging out with your best friends, swapping car stories, showing off your ride, enjoying the freedom of driving the vehicle to wherever you wanted to go. Can you honestly say you've never just driven around to enjoy driving your car?
      That isn't what this thread is about. I love that. I'm referring to driving, usually in traffic, up a street, turn around, and drive back down the same street. Again and again.

edit-- your scenario is what I think of when I hear cruise. I'm talking about the activity that there are laws against, Sunset strip being the prime example and only place I've seen it forbidden.

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 08:08 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      I'm not looking to argue or debate, but doesn't it seem that cracking down on "cruising", which is essentially the repeated use of a public road over a short period of time in a car, is unconstitutional?

How do you ticket someone for driving? Then again it is california and well...I'll let you have your own opinion i suppose.
      Interestingly enough, the anti-cruising wave of laws didn't start in California but on the East Coast. Read that article I posted (all 6 pages of it).

If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 08:09 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      I tend to avoid Hollywood Blvd. west of Vine now on weekends because it's a friggin' standstill. Haven't you noticed ?

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata LS, 2006 Corvette-Sold, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (RIP)
      04-26-2012 08:13 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      Sunset is still a great spot to cruise, but yeah, they have no cruising laws, so if you get caught going back and forth you can get a ticket.

I'll admit it, I like showing off the NSX. Sometimes on my way back from stuff, I'll make a detour to cut through Laguna Beach and drive by main beach. It's fun seeing people's reactions to the car and the smiles you get from old guys seeing one of their dream cars when they were young.
      What's Laugna Beach like? I've never been there

Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      I tend to avoid Hollywood Blvd. west of Vine now on weekends because it's a friggin' standstill. Haven't you noticed ?
      My car is literally parked in a garage right off Hollywood Blvd (west of Vine), so whenever I want to take it out I have no choice but to get on Hollywood Blvd for a little while. When are you going to come for a ride? I met up with another guy from TCL last weekend and we drove down Sunsent to Beverly Hills and back but I had to cut the drive short because I had other plans later on
      "When you need to get somewhere quickly, I'd rather get there the fastest I can, looking the best I can"-Rutledge Wood

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast