Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 27 of 27

    Thread: Great Deal on '65 UH-1E

    1. Member emmettlodge's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      8,507
      Vehicles
      CTLS
      04-26-2012 08:51 PM #1
      In case anyone is into these, this is a pretty swell deal for a RTF huey in very good condition.

      $175k

      No certs, records though

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-...ht_3397wt_1165
      Future Chevy Colorado buyer.

    2. 04-27-2012 01:15 AM #2
      Something seems pretty sketchy about this. He bought it from a gov't agency, but couldn't get any records? Without the logbooks, it'd be a pretty tough sell to ever fly it again without replacing the engine, blades, transmission, tail rotor, or any other of about a hundred service life limited parts. You might be able to get an experimental ticket for it, but then forget trying to fly for hire.

      If you could fly it away, $175K for a Huey would be the deal of the century. Sadly, if it's as it seems, it's just a really expensive lawn ornament.

    3. Member emmettlodge's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      8,507
      Vehicles
      CTLS
      04-27-2012 09:12 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by gr8shandini View Post
      Something seems pretty sketchy about this. He bought it from a gov't agency, but couldn't get any records? Without the logbooks, it'd be a pretty tough sell to ever fly it again without replacing the engine, blades, transmission, tail rotor, or any other of about a hundred service life limited parts. You might be able to get an experimental ticket for it, but then forget trying to fly for hire.

      If you could fly it away, $175K for a Huey would be the deal of the century. Sadly, if it's as it seems, it's just a really expensive lawn ornament.
      All great points.

      If I was loaded and had a couple thousand acres of land in Montana, I'd buy it and fly it around anyways Just stay under 1,000 ft and if the FAA asks, it's "What Huey?"
      Future Chevy Colorado buyer.

    4. Member
      Join Date
      May 15th, 2007
      Location
      Fussa, Japan
      Posts
      531
      04-27-2012 10:00 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      All great points.

      If I was loaded and had a couple thousand acres of land in Montana, I'd buy it and fly it around anyways Just stay under 1,000 ft and if the FAA asks, it's "What Huey?"
      if you're over 1,000 in a helo you're just flat out doing it wrong. Over 300 is a sissy.

    5. Geriatric Member ATL_Av8r's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 17th, 2002
      Location
      Gapiana
      Posts
      39,636
      04-27-2012 11:12 AM #5
      Should be able to at least get records from its service in Florida under the Florida Sunshine Open Records Law. Still sounds sketchy
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

      Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

    6. 04-27-2012 11:57 AM #6
      I can't think of anything else I'd blow $175K on.
      That thing is purty.
      This post was monitored and approved by the NSA

    7. Member 89fuchswagen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      LVNV
      Posts
      659
      Vehicles
      1956 Buick Special "Riviera", 1997 Jeep TJ
      04-27-2012 07:45 PM #7
      It looks like it was deregistered on 6/18/2002 reason: destroyed

      http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...umbertxt=121FC

      Unless Im reading that wrong.
      The W123 Mercedes, most notably the 240D, is an excellent model of automotive perfection!

    8. Geriatric Member ATL_Av8r's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 17th, 2002
      Location
      Gapiana
      Posts
      39,636
      04-27-2012 08:41 PM #8
      Gotta be the same guy.....it's typed in ALL CAPS

      http://www.oshkosh365.org/ok365_Disc...9&topicid=4670

      And another....

      http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=158471

      Holy crap....this guy posted everywhere about it...

      http://www.steelsoldiers.com/planes-...rine-helo.html

      This bird last flew in 2005. Its be decladed scrap, removed with the FAA, the forest service removed the data plates. I want to restore it to orginal configuration and tow it to the shows.
      Before resto: (pic may not work)

      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

      Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

    9. Member B3sat16v's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 23rd, 2002
      Location
      Around the world
      Posts
      7,403
      Vehicles
      MH-60R
      04-27-2012 10:40 PM #9
      I would not buy a Helo unless I has a pretty penny coming in from it. These things require a ton of maintenance and most parts are not cheap.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2002
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      4,850
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      04-28-2012 01:30 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      In case anyone is into these, this is a pretty swell deal for a RTF huey in very good condition...
      Definitely not "RTF"
      If it's not foggy
      and you have your fog lights on
      you are a doofus.
      "Pro Tip: Don't **** with people who've been trollin' longer than you've been alive." - OOOO-A3

    11. Member DonL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 28th, 1999
      Location
      roughly 42°30'N, 83°11'W
      Posts
      17,123
      Vehicles
      1996 GTI hoopty
      04-28-2012 08:57 AM #11
      So, if I'm getting this right, it's a $175K trailer queen that was rebuilt from salvage, and there's no records to recertify it for flying legally?
      It seems the government is currently saying, "While we're conducting this unspecified, unwarranted surveillance, we're totally thinking about how to not violate the 4th Amendment that we're currently violating. Because terrorism."

    12. Member
      Join Date
      May 15th, 2007
      Location
      Fussa, Japan
      Posts
      531
      04-28-2012 09:24 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      So, if I'm getting this right, it's a $175K trailer queen that was rebuilt from salvage, and there's no records to recertify it for flying legally?
      bingo, this guy is a dumbass who bought it knowing nothing and figured he could throw money and it and get it flying again, then realized that would take an insane amount of cash and is trying to offload it.

      This is a great restoration, but that thing is static display only

    13. Geriatric Member ATL_Av8r's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 17th, 2002
      Location
      Gapiana
      Posts
      39,636
      04-28-2012 10:05 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Gern_Blanston View Post
      Definitely not "RTF"
      Maybe he meant Ready To ****ingsitthereandbelokedat
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

      Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2002
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      4,850
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      04-28-2012 11:20 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by yz1337 View Post
      bingo, this guy is a dumbass who bought it knowing nothing and figured he could throw money and it and get it flying again, then realized that would take an insane amount of cash and is trying to offload it...
      Maybe not. Look at the other stuff he's sold and the answers to the questions people have asked about it. I think he realizes that...
      Quote Originally Posted by yz1337 View Post
      ...This is a great restoration, but that thing is static display only
      If it's not foggy
      and you have your fog lights on
      you are a doofus.
      "Pro Tip: Don't **** with people who've been trollin' longer than you've been alive." - OOOO-A3

    15. Member DonL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 28th, 1999
      Location
      roughly 42°30'N, 83°11'W
      Posts
      17,123
      Vehicles
      1996 GTI hoopty
      04-28-2012 12:20 PM #15
      Just curious, would the cost of recertifying it be worth the added value of having a flyable copter based on the market value of flying Hueys?

      I have no idea what recertifying would entail, so I'm just asking.
      It seems the government is currently saying, "While we're conducting this unspecified, unwarranted surveillance, we're totally thinking about how to not violate the 4th Amendment that we're currently violating. Because terrorism."

    16. Member
      Join Date
      May 15th, 2007
      Location
      Fussa, Japan
      Posts
      531
      04-28-2012 01:02 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Gern_Blanston View Post
      Maybe not. Look at the other stuff he's sold and the answers to the questions people have asked about it. I think he realizes that...
      I'm being a bit harsh but in the various threads posted I gathered he had plenty of experience with ground vehicles but none with aircraft. I'm sure he loves restoring this old stuff but I do feel his posts read pretty clear about unreal hopes of flying it around again. Now that he's found out the hard facts the project lost its luster and he's selling...either way good on him for the resto, i love Huey's, I see them start up and fly from my office window everyday , hearing the classic whap-whap everyday is sweet

    17. Member emmettlodge's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      8,507
      Vehicles
      CTLS
      04-28-2012 03:02 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Gern_Blanston View Post
      Definitely not "RTF"
      No, it's definitely ready to fly. It's in mechanically completely, operational condition. You can strap in, spool up, and take off in it today.

      It's not a tail number ready aircraft.
      Future Chevy Colorado buyer.

    18. Member B3sat16v's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 23rd, 2002
      Location
      Around the world
      Posts
      7,403
      Vehicles
      MH-60R
      04-28-2012 03:09 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      No, it's definitely ready to fly. It's in mechanically completely, operational condition. You can strap in, spool up, and take off in it today.

      It's not a tail number ready aircraft.
      Do you know much about Rotocrafts? Or aircrafts in general for that matter? I am genuinely curious.

    19. Member emmettlodge's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      8,507
      Vehicles
      CTLS
      04-28-2012 03:13 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      Just curious, would the cost of recertifying it be worth the added value of having a flyable copter based on the market value of flying Hueys?

      I have no idea what recertifying would entail, so I'm just asking.
      That depends.

      The average sale price of flying, numbered and registered or ready to be numbered/registered Bell 204's/205's/UH-1x's range from about $800k to $3 million, depending on year, exact model, and air frame hours.

      Given the desirability of Vietnam-era UH-1E's, and the overall mint restored condition of this particular Huey, I would say that this helo would be worth re-certifying. However that may not actually be realistically possible since it has been stripped of the number plates for important items such as the engine and gearbox, and those aren't easy items to replace.

      Likely this helo would fetch $1-1.5 million if it were fully certified and ready for commercial duty.
      Future Chevy Colorado buyer.

    20. Member emmettlodge's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      8,507
      Vehicles
      CTLS
      04-28-2012 03:14 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by B3sat16v View Post
      Do you know much about Rotocrafts? Or aircrafts in general for that matter? I am genuinely curious.
      I am more familiar with helos than with fixed wing aircraft, and I'm not a pilot. Kinda been a hobby/fascination since I was a kid.
      Future Chevy Colorado buyer.

    21. Member B3sat16v's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 23rd, 2002
      Location
      Around the world
      Posts
      7,403
      Vehicles
      MH-60R
      04-28-2012 03:24 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I am more familiar with helos than with fixed wing aircraft, and I'm not a pilot. Kinda been a hobby/fascination since I was a kid.
      Well, I fly these things (not the UH-1, but I have flown Bells) and the amount of maintenance required is unbelievable compared to a fixed wing. If it has been seating for a while, a lot of things need to be taken apart and serviced and or replaced. It is most likely not ready to flight by a far stretch. Bells can take a pretty beating and are great machines, but if you do not maintain them properly, it will kill you. I would not dare to get in that thing and fly it unless I knew for a fact that it was ready to go.

    22. Member emmettlodge's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      8,507
      Vehicles
      CTLS
      04-28-2012 03:30 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by B3sat16v View Post
      Well, I fly these things (not the UH-1, but I have flown Bells) and the amount of maintenance required is unbelievable compared to a fixed wing. If it has been seating for a while, a lot of things need to be taken apart and serviced and or replaced. It is most likely not ready to flight by a far stretch. Bells can take a pretty beating and are great machines, but if you do not maintain them properly, it will kill you. I would not dare to get in that thing and fly it unless I knew for a fact that it was ready to go.
      I'm just going off of what the seller says of course, but he does say he's had several mechanics go through the aircraft. So it can't be that bad.

      ALL FLUIDS HAVE BEEN CHANGED. I ALSO HAD 3 AP MECHANICS GO THROUGH THE BIRD AND CHECK EVERYTHING. WHEN THEY WERE DONE, THEY WANTED TO GO FOR A RIDE.
      Future Chevy Colorado buyer.

    23. Member B3sat16v's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 23rd, 2002
      Location
      Around the world
      Posts
      7,403
      Vehicles
      MH-60R
      04-28-2012 03:35 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I'm just going off of what the seller says of course, but he does say he's had several mechanics go through the aircraft. So it can't be that bad.
      Understood, but that is what he is saying. I would not trust him. These things need to be started and run regularly to make sure the GBs and Engine lubrication systems continue to operate properly. Make sure the PCR and PCL are lubricated and used often for them not to seize and make sure the blades are properly trimmed. There are a lot more moving parts that need care in a rotorcraft.

    24. Member dblueS40's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 1st, 2008
      Location
      Ky
      Posts
      520
      Vehicles
      AH-64D, mk2 golf GL
      04-30-2012 08:03 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by B3sat16v View Post
      Bells can take a pretty beating and are great machines, but if you do not maintain them properly, it will kill you. I would not dare to get in that thing and fly it unless I knew for a fact that it was ready to go.
      This x10000000000000000

      He may have had 3 A&P certified machanics look at it and "check it over" But i completely agree with B3sat16v. I remember the first time i was around a Huey. It made me thankful to be in an Apache. Lol. Dont get me wrong, I like Hueys, but that thing looks like it would be a nightmare, not to mention that everything prolly needs to be gone through again and possibly replaced. Then there would need to be some logged hours of flight time before I would even want to start it up.
      Last edited by dblueS40; 05-02-2012 at 05:40 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      If roughly 1/2 of all Americans are women, there is no way 2/3rds can be excellent drivers

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2002
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      4,850
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      04-30-2012 08:13 PM #25
      Yes, to fly it would be illegal, but that's the least of your worries if you're stupid enough to try and take it into the air. You would be risking life and limb.
      If it's not foggy
      and you have your fog lights on
      you are a doofus.
      "Pro Tip: Don't **** with people who've been trollin' longer than you've been alive." - OOOO-A3

    26. Geriatric Member ATL_Av8r's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 17th, 2002
      Location
      Gapiana
      Posts
      39,636
      05-01-2012 08:51 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Gern_Blanston View Post
      Yes, to fly it would be illegal, but that's the least of your worries if you're stupid enough to try and take it into the air. You would be risking life and limb.
      No risk no reward?


      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

      Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

    27. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2002
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      4,850
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      05-02-2012 12:22 AM #27
      I'll take a legal helicopter over an illegal one. Just sayin'...
      If it's not foggy
      and you have your fog lights on
      you are a doofus.
      "Pro Tip: Don't **** with people who've been trollin' longer than you've been alive." - OOOO-A3

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •