Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Vapor Lock

04-26-2012 10:13 PM #1
      I have a 95 gti vr6 that keeps having a starting issue every so often. The story goes...I bought the car and it didnt have a gas cap so I bought one at pepboys. the car started to have some starting issues but nothing bad. I took it to a shop for some other things i wanted done so i had them replace the ignition switch and seemed to help alittle. The car would start fine when cold or if let it warm up than start it again within a few minutes like running into a store or something like that. The issue seems to be when i let the car warm up and than let it sit for awhile and try and start. just cranks but i can get the car to start if i stray starter fluid into the TB. I replaced the coolant temp sensor and crank sensor both seem to help alittle more than replaced the fuel filter again seemed to help alittle more. The one thing i noticed was the pressure build up when i took off the gas cap was way more than I have ever seen in a car so now i leave it lose. I also replaced the fuel pump relay but nothing any better. Could the car be getting a vapor lock or has anyone had this issue and other then what i have replaced what did you d to fix the issue. Thanks in advance

2. 04-26-2012 11:42 PM #2
      Its damn near impossible to get vapor lock, but the check valve that's built into the pump/float assembly may not be holding good residual pressure after you shut down.
      W.T.B. - Kinetic Motorsport FMIC front-mount intercooler for MK3 OBD-1 VR6 GTI/Jetta.
      Must include all original parts, and be in excellent condition.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-vr6-jetta-gti

3. Member
      04-27-2012 01:17 AM #3
      Your MAF sensor might be problematic. Try unplugging it when your engine won't start and see if it helps (when the MAF sensor is unplugged, the ECU uses a default set of fuel maps - you'll run a little rich, but you'll be fine).
      Kenji

04-27-2012 10:54 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 'dubber View Post
      Its damn near impossible to get vapor lock, but the check valve that's built into the pump/float assembly may not be holding good residual pressure after you shut down.
      So might be the fuel pump action up?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenji View Post
      Your MAF sensor might be problematic. Try unplugging it when your engine won't start and see if it helps (when the MAF sensor is unplugged, the ECU uses a default set of fuel maps - you'll run a little rich, but you'll be fine).
      I tried that one time when the car wouldnt start and still wouldnt start.