Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Ridiculous stomach pain from eggs and tilapia :(

1. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 GTI and '03 Passat Wagon
      04-26-2012 11:27 PM #1
      Ever since having my daughter 8 months ago, I can't eat eggs or tilapia without a ridiculous amount of stomach pain. The pain is right in the area where my ribs meet my sternum and the pain is a deep, constant pain, which results in tons of bloating (almost making me look pregnant). On average, the pain lasts 5-7 HOURS straight, despite taking Tums or Zantac, drinking milk, drinking water, eating carbs (before or after), etc. The pain doesn't really feel like heart burn, because it's not really burning and it's so low.

I've tried eating just egg whites, just 1 egg, scrambled eggs/over easy, etc - all resulting in the same thing. I've only ever tried baking the tilapia.

I can eat tuna just fine, as well as other seafood. I drink coffee without issues. I can have tomatoes and other acidic fruits (pineapple) and not have any issues.

Anyway, I need to see a doctor after we move (military move yay), but I'm just wondering if anyone has ever heard of such a thing and whether it sounds like an allergy or some other GI issue? I'm sort of baffled that pregnancy could create a food allergy.

Obviously, the answer right now is to just avoid those foods (which I've been doing), but I'd love to "fix" this issue eventually since I miss eggs...a lot.

2. Member
      04-27-2012 12:27 AM #2
      That is a very strange that only those two things do that. Pregnancy can mess you girls up, though, so it doesn't surprise me.

3. 04-27-2012 12:53 AM #3
      I don't know but it's funny that you mention this and john meadows was talking about inflammation, allergies and indigestion problems on elitefts podcast today....and the two foods he mentioned were EGGS AND TALAPIA.

might want to listen to it lol

04-27-2012 08:14 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      That is a very strange that only those two things do that. Pregnancy can mess you girls up, though, so it doesn't surprise me.
      This. That little being growing in there moves your bits all around. My wife had issues with regular milk causing stomach pain for a couple of months after our 1st - no idea why but she's normal now.

5. Member
      04-27-2012 08:53 AM #5
      It's a good thing FFJ is hot or I would have given her ****.

6. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-27-2012 10:03 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ::xander:: View Post
      I don't know but it's funny that you mention this and john meadows was talking about inflammation, allergies and indigestion problems on elitefts podcast today....and the two foods he mentioned were EGGS AND TALAPIA.

might want to listen to it lol
      I listened to it. Kinda bizarre he mentioned the exact things I am having problems with. Apparently eating the same protein(s) in the same ways over and over again can cause issues with the way your body responds to the enzymes in the protein.

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      This. That little being growing in there moves your bits all around. My wife had issues with regular milk causing stomach pain for a couple of months after our 1st - no idea why but she's normal now.
      Someone else I know had an issue with cow's milk. Good to know she's back to normal now. Maybe eventually my body will do the same thing too.

It's a good thing FFJ is hot or I would have given her ****.

Vehicles
      MK4 Jetta - '07 Audi A3 (SOLD)
      04-27-2012 12:43 PM #7
      Poor girl Hopefully a doctor can give you some kind of plausible reason.
      Follow me on Instagram: cyncetastic

8. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-27-2012 02:31 PM #8
      Problem is, I think I would need to have that procedure done where they go down your throat with a camera and look at your stomach or whatever...I really don't see myself being able to do that anytime soon.

I'm going to try a hard boiled egg and see if that makes any difference at all. I doubt it will.

9. Member
      04-27-2012 03:10 PM #9
      Eat a plate of deviled eggs and report back. I bet egg whites will be nothing after that.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      04-27-2012 03:51 PM #10
      Eat a plate of deviled eggs and report back. I bet egg whites will be nothing after that.
      I deviled eggs!

oh...maybe you're pregnant again?
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

11. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-27-2012 10:36 PM #11
      Definitely not pregnant.

Vehicles
      2006 Vue, 2012 Chevy Cruze LT2, 1996 BK
      04-30-2012 09:04 AM #12
      Given that tilapia is a disgusting bottom feeder without much omega 3, I would just give it up.

Eat wild caught salmon instead...much better for you.

Can you get free range eggs?

13. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-02-2012 10:47 AM #13
      Yeah, I have no problem giving up Tilapia. I bought a salmon filet from Costco yesterday. We'll see if that gives me any problems.

And I can get my hands on free range eggs, although I haven't tried them yet. You thinking that might make a difference I think I can get them at Publix or Whole Foods. I'll try to test them out this week!

Vehicles
      2006 Vue, 2012 Chevy Cruze LT2, 1996 BK
      05-03-2012 09:51 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjunkie View Post
      Yeah, I have no problem giving up Tilapia. I bought a salmon filet from Costco yesterday. We'll see if that gives me any problems.

And I can get my hands on free range eggs, although I haven't tried them yet. You thinking that might make a difference I think I can get them at Publix or Whole Foods. I'll try to test them out this week!
      Can't hurt, could help.

Vehicles
      2007 BMW M Coupe, 1998 XJ 4.0L
      05-03-2012 02:46 PM #15
      I had a similar issue last year. Turns out, I developed an egg allergy after eating them on the regular my entire life. After eating, I would get intense pain in my stomach and nausea which would go away after 6 hours or so unless I vomited to get it out. Definitely check with a doctor to make sure.

16. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-07-2012 12:04 PM #16
      Update: We bought some expensive cage free, grain free chicken eggs... I had 2 scrambled yolks (since I know the whites affect me pretty bad) this morning and 1.5 hrs later, I feel bad. I give up. Not worth the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by CALVR6 View Post
      I had a similar issue last year. Turns out, I developed an egg allergy after eating them on the regular my entire life. After eating, I would get intense pain in my stomach and nausea which would go away after 6 hours or so unless I vomited to get it out. Definitely check with a doctor to make sure.
      I think it's an allergy too. My stomach feels kinda "hot" inside and bloated... and I almost have that gross clammy feeling you get before you're gonna throw up.

I could probably tolerate this feeling occasionally if I REALLY wanted to have something with eggs, but definitely not on the regular. It's hard to take care of an infant when you feel like crap

I'm moving in less than a month, so after I get settled into my new place, I'll find a new doctor and see if they can test for allergies.