Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DSLR Canon - Nikon

Vehicles
      Scirocco C30 Stingray
      04-27-2012 11:18 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool View Post
      If you set out with the purpose of taking pics, you might as well carry a DSLR. A DSLR with a small prime lens is easy enough to carry around, and the huge array of lenses and accessories available make them real, no excuses professional tools.

Nothing beats a high quality lens on a DSL camera to take tack sharp pictures.

... except if you leave it at home.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

2. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      04-27-2012 11:23 AM #37
      I know it's a little out-dated but back when I bought my Canon 400D I ended up choosing it over the Nikon D40 because of the ergonomics and size of the camera. The D40 was a bit on the small side and it just wasn't comfortable to hold. My $0.02.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      04-27-2012 11:26 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by matty_1425 View Post
      I work with Matt aka Deathlens, he hit the nail on the head. Aside from getting a D90 I'd steer clear of Nikon for the simple fact that you have to dive in to the menus to change simple things, which isn't intuitive at all. Sony and Canon do a much better job at giving you a user friendly ergonomic layout(on the entry level cameras). If you want to use your camera in full auto all the time, like a point and shoot then any of them will work perfectly fine, but if you plan on getting creative the Canon and Sony would be better suited for your needs.
      Dang, this is sad for me to read. I have an Nikon D50 — while I love the old thing, I have been pondering an upgrade for awhile. What's held me back is the fact that it is so simple to use and that it has screw-drive autofocus for my old 50mm f/1.4D.

I had been thinking about getting a refurb'd D5100 and a new "G" 50mm, but statements like the above make me think I need to get a D7000 (or 7100 once it comes out) and keep my old 50.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio • Come make some hard cider

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      04-27-2012 11:31 AM #39
      If you're interesting in learning about photography pickup a D90, as alluded to earlier it brings more of the functions out of sub menus and into direct control. Having 2 wheels and a top LCD screen make things far easier imo.

If you just want to take good pictures get a D3200.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here

Vehicles
      '13 Suzuki Kizashi S 6MT, '12 Honda Pilot EX-L
      04-27-2012 11:46 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      Dang, this is sad for me to read. I have an Nikon D50 — while I love the old thing, I have been pondering an upgrade for awhile. What's held me back is the fact that it is so simple to use and that it has screw-drive autofocus for my old 50mm f/1.4D.

I had been thinking about getting a refurb'd D5100 and a new "G" 50mm, but statements like the above make me think I need to get a D7000 (or 7100 once it comes out) and keep my old 50.
      This was my route. As a noob, I started with a D50 to get a feel of the SLR, settings, shooting manual, etc. Then I stepped up to a D90 because it had video and more features to learn/polish up on my skills. Then as a final step I decided to move to a D7000 and this is the camera I'll be keeping for a long time. Better seals, materials, AF points and sensor. Notice I didn't mention MP count because it really does not matter unless you're doing commercial print work.

Best thing about the aforementioned upgrades, it was easy to turn around ans sell my old bodies to offset the cost for the new stuff. Almost got as much for the D50 as I paid new and recouped 3/4 of the price of the D90. Nikon stuff holds its value.

As far as glass goes, I carry a general all purpose lens, 18-200mm VR. I rarely take this off. Sure, it is not as fast as an f2.8, but it was a fraction of the cost and the results are pretty damn good. If I want tack sharp photos in low light, I break out my primes, 50mm and 35mm f1.8s and let my legs and imagination do the zooming. Best thing, these are cheap lenses for the first time photographer.

I'll echo some of the other thoughts here, out of the box straps suck. I have a Crupmler The Industry Disgrace neck strap. Best purchase to date. And get yourself a good tripod. Please, no Sunpak or BestBuy crap. Scour CL for used stuff. I grabbed barely used Manfrotto 190XPRO tripod with a Manfrotto 400 series ball head for $100.

And if you are just learning, read up too. Some of the best books out there are:

Tom Ang - Digital Photography Masterclass
      Bryan Peterson - Understanding Exposure
      Scott Kelby - The Digital Photography Book

And grab a Digital Field Guide for whichever camera you choose. Best of luck!
      My flickr
      "The best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it." - Harry S. Truman

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 12:32 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      This was my route. As a noob, I started with a D50 to get a feel of the SLR, settings, shooting manual, etc. Then I stepped up to a D90 because it had video and more features to learn/polish up on my skills. Then as a final step I decided to move to a D7000 and this is the camera I'll be keeping for a long time. Better seals, materials, AF points and sensor. Notice I didn't mention MP count because it really does not matter unless you're doing commercial print work.
      Thanks! One of my friends has the D7000 and loves it, I just didn't know I needed it until I learned they dumbed down the midrange gear. I've had the D50 since 2005. I have an 18-70mm (D70 kit lens, slightly fancy), a 1.4 50mm, the wireless remote and a little SB400 flash and that combination does just about everything I need.

I'm not pro by any means — but I know my way around a camera and have shot a few weddings as favors for family members on tight budgets. My background is graphic design and I made hardcover coffee table books which got all kinds of comments encouraging me to go professional. But I enjoy photography as a hobby and don't think I would care for it as much if it turned into a job, especially stressed-out bridezilla-type weddings.

I bought a refurb'd D5000 a few years ago, shot my sister's wedding on it (along with a borrowed 50mm f/1.4G for the portraits) then gave the camera and an 18-55 IS to her as a wedding present. The progress they've made in a few short years is amazing! The extra resolution is nice (for cropping) and it has much better dynamic range — but what really impressed me were the shots I could pull off when shooting handheld in twilight at 3200+ ISO with the 1.4. Felt like magic.

7. 04-27-2012 12:52 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by 92skirmishgti View Post
      I'm in the market for a DSLR so I can stop using my cell phone for pictures. I'm on the fence between the Canon T3i or NIkon D5100.

Now I'm not sure which to get because comparing the is basically a wash. I'm leaning more towards the Canons because of its lens compatibility. I'm also going to buy used to save some cash since I'm going back to Europe for another three months. I'd like to add since I'm buying used, I'd rather not spend north of $700 including a lens.

Which camera would the OT photographers recommend and what else should I look out for other than the obvious checking of the camera sensor, lens, (physical and front and back focusing) and general wear and tear?

Canon T3i

Nikon D5100

Which brand do your friends/family use? Most of my friends use Canon, so I bought one as well, that way we can usually borrow each others lenses.

The other thing is Canon and Nikon are the most popular cameras, so there are services you can rent the cool lenses from and they usually carry more lenses compatible with these 2 makes.

Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      04-27-2012 01:19 PM #43
      It's honestly the same ****. Entry level cameras really aren't different from eachother.

That being said, are you going to use it for video ever?

Get the Canon.

Do you care about how good the photos look in low light situations?

Get the Nikon.
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 01:20 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by MustacheGT View Post
      Nikon is the only camera company that produces only cameras IIRC
      I'm pretty sure they all make medical glass.

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      04-27-2012 01:24 PM #45
      Not sure why that would matter. Besides it's not even like Nikon makes their camera fully in house, they buy their sensors from Sony.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here

11. 04-27-2012 01:32 PM #46
      You can't go wrong with either one. They're both about the same when you compare the specs. If you were looking at $1200+ cameras, I'd say go with Nikon (only because I'm partial) but honestly for the ones you're looking into, either one will fit the bill. If you have friends/family that shoot, you should consider matching their gear so you can borrow lenses and ask questions. I shoot Nikon but my wife shoots Canon. She's currently in the market for the Canon T3i as well. I've seen them for as low as $450 on Craigslist with 2 lenses.
      I'll tell you what I tell anyone looking at new cameras. Go to the store and play with both brands. A lot of the time, people pick their cameras based on where the controls are located on the back. I chose Nikon partially because the buttons were placed where my thumbs fell on the back panel. Not to mention Nikon uses outstanding glass in their products.

Vehicles
      DD: Mazda3 O: Explorer | Uncertified Preowned: Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      04-27-2012 01:41 PM #47
      I has Canon. Others in my family have Canon. Friends have Canon. I know one who has a Nikon DSL, and it was only because it was cheaper.
      80 people! Do you know how much that is? Two 40s, you son of a b***h!
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.
      //// @mbull //// blog //// instagram ////

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 02:49 PM #48
      Also, if you aren't planning on spending a lot of money, Pentax is the best bang for your buck.

14. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      04-27-2012 03:30 PM #49
      Umm no. And even if it were the case, it's irrelevant.

Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler, 2009 Grand Cherokee; 2001 BMW 325Ci vert
      04-27-2012 04:11 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by valfaw View Post
      incorrect, I think they make surveying equipment as well...
      I used one of these the other day:

To OP: Get the Canon

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 04:13 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Umm no. And even if it were the case, it's irrelevant.
      no kidding.

people, how hard is it to do 5 seconds of research before you pull something out of your ass to sound like you know what you're talking about? Where the F is the rant thread!

Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      04-27-2012 05:36 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by valfaw View Post
      incorrect, I think they make surveying equipment as well...
      Like I said, I didn't look. No surprise re: surveying equipment, as their optics are phenomenal.
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...

18. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      04-27-2012 06:00 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post
      Like I said, I didn't look. No surprise re: surveying equipment, as their optics are phenomenal.
      So does Canon...

Oh yea, and there is always these:

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 06:13 PM #54
      Oh yea, and there is always these:
      Nikon made white (gray) lenses for awhile:

20. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      04-27-2012 06:15 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      Nikon made white (gray) lenses for awhile:
      That's fine but I think we can agree that if you see a white lens at a sporting event it's most likely a Canon.

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 06:19 PM #56
      oh, the poor guy in the back. looks like he just has the lowly 400mm.

Vehicles
      1990 Jeep Cherokee (Sold), 1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 (Sold), 1999 VW Golf (Current)
      04-27-2012 06:28 PM #57
      I have a Canon T1i from a few years ago and I love it. My two sisters also have the same ones and haven't had any issues. If i were to replace it, I'd stick with Canon without a doubt.

Vehicles
      funbagged A4
      04-27-2012 06:42 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post

LOL it almost looks like a 70-200 2.8L. What a doucher (I love how im serious but that's a friggen amazing lens in normal life).

Vehicles
      1986 Alfa Spider, 2005 Ford Freestyle
      04-27-2012 10:46 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Mtl-Marc View Post
      Nothing beats a high quality lens on a DSL camera to take tack sharp pictures.

this isn't necessarily the case anymore... there are other just as capable options out there in the mirrorless world that have emerged and represent technology that will supplant the dslr as their technology moves forward.

there's more to the choice than limiting yourself to canon and nikon...

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      04-28-2012 12:47 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DeathLens View Post
      LOL it almost looks like a 70-200 2.8L. What a doucher (I love how im serious but that's a friggen amazing lens in normal life).

That's because it is a 70-200 f/2.8. None of the Canon long primes use petal hoods. From what I can see, most of the lenses in that pic are 400 f/2.8. I see at least one 300 f/2.8 and a 500 f/4.

I count 6 Canon 400 f/2.8's w/ no hood in this pic. Guess they like a lot of flare.

my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...

Vehicles
      disco, new wave, rave era german iron...and a Japanese V8 with a tailgate
      04-28-2012 03:42 AM #61
      wat?
      Quote Originally Posted by spoon! View Post
      I'll go if Paul goes.
      Rod Blagojevich - Team My Little Pony

Vehicles
      MH-60R
      04-28-2012 04:31 AM #62
      I like Cannon, but the one I use belongs to my mother-in-law as she never uses it. I do not use the camera enough to buy a new one, but I was recently "shopping for DSLRs" and the information I got was that Nikon does a much better ISO than Cannon, but besides that, they are almost identical when it comes to image quality and Cannons tending to be easier to use.

Vehicles
      2015 Taco, 2013 ST3
      04-28-2012 08:31 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by 2VWatatime View Post
      Ahem - still making & selling for 20 years:

[IMG]http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/binoculars/marine/if_x50/img/pic_001.jpg[/IG]
      Just something I overheard.

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 09:50 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by B3sat16v View Post
      I like Cannon, but the one I use belongs to my mother-in-law as she never uses it. I do not use the camera enough to buy a new one, but I was recently "shopping for DSLRs" and the information I got was that Nikon does a much better ISO than Cannon, but besides that, they are almost identical when it comes to image quality and Cannons tending to be easier to use.
      What exactly does that mean? Are you trying to say that Nikon is better at high ISO settings than Canon? If so, it really depends on the body / sensor. Within the Canon line, some bodies are better at high-ISO than others (e.g. 5DII vs. 7D, 7D vs. T2i, etc.). I'm sure the same is true w/in the Nikon line.

04-28-2012 01:35 PM #65

MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

31. Member
      04-28-2012 05:08 PM #66
      Another key point to remember:

Every camera out there is good enough. Time spent obsessing about gear is time wasted.

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 07:51 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool View Post
      Another key point to remember:

Every camera out there is good enough. Time spent obsessing about gear is time wasted.
      Yes and no. Every camera out there isn't 'good enough'. A T2i w/ a kit lens isn't going to produce the same quality of image that a 1DsIII or 5DII w/ an 85L will. But I do agree, obsessing about gear is a waste of time. You get the gear that you need to do the job.

Vehicles
      metropass
      04-28-2012 08:30 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by JettaGT8V80 View Post
      i like nikon but id go with a d7000 or d90
      ^This. If you're going to get an SLR, you might as well get a good one.

34. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      04-28-2012 09:26 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by O_o View Post
      ^This. If you're going to get an SLR, you might as well get a good one.
      Yea, everyone needs a $1500 D7000 or a $1000 D90.

Vehicles
      335d, Passat4Motion Wagon, A4 Avant
      04-28-2012 10:13 PM #70
      Whatever you decide on, look at direct factory refurbished. Cameta is also a good source for factory refurbished.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast