Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1.2 TDI Remapped or GSXR?

1. 04-27-2012 04:55 AM #1
      Hi, Looking into options for a mid engine sandrail project. Will be driven mostly on very curvy, tiny roads. Literally you can go an hour without being able to get up to 60mph. Think Corsica WRC. So, building a tiny car more suited to these roads, I am wondering if I should be looking into the 1.2 TDI remapped because of the torque specs. Rally style driving demands torque, low down. The weight is comparable, plus I'd like to keep it all vag. I'd like to hear from people who know the engine. Maybe it sucks.

(Round about specs, don't jump on me.)

Stock 1.2 TDI
      140nm tq @ 1800 rpm
      61 bhp.
      Weight 220 lbs

Remapped 1.2 TDI
      195nm tq @1700 rpm
      80 bhp.

GSXR 1000
      110 Nm tq at 8000 rpm
      160-190hp @ 11-12k rpm
      Weight 150 lbs w/transmission

BUT, there is the weight of the 1.2 tdi transmission to consider. And I can't find the numbers anywhere yet.

I'm leaning towards the gsxr because it is less complicated, and the whole bike weighs about as much as I am guessing for the 1.2 engine & transmission.
      Last edited by 4spark; 04-27-2012 at 05:29 AM.
      If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      04-27-2012 01:12 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by 4spark View Post
      Hi, Looking into options for a mid engine sandrail project. Will be driven mostly on very curvy, tiny roads. Literally you can go an hour without being able to get up to 60mph. Think Corsica WRC. So, building a tiny car more suited to these roads, I am wondering if I should be looking into the 1.2 TDI remapped because of the torque specs. Rally style driving demands torque, low down. The weight is comparable, plus I'd like to keep it all vag. I'd like to hear from people who know the engine. Maybe it sucks.

(Round about specs, don't jump on me.)

Stock 1.2 TDI
      140nm tq @ 1800 rpm
      61 bhp.
      Weight 220 lbs

Remapped 1.2 TDI
      195nm tq @1700 rpm
      80 bhp.

GSXR 1000
      110 Nm tq at 8000 rpm
      160-190hp @ 11-12k rpm
      Weight 150 lbs w/transmission

BUT, there is the weight of the 1.2 tdi transmission to consider. And I can't find the numbers anywhere yet.

I'm leaning towards the gsxr because it is less complicated, and the whole bike weighs about as much as I am guessing for the 1.2 engine & transmission.
      the bike motor wont have ANY power down low tho.. its all gonna be top end power.

where as most of the TDI power will be down low..

me personally, a TDI is what i would pick.. the TDI shines below 60 mph..

may want to come up with your own means of a transmission, like adapt the TDI to a beefed up air cooled trans so its longitudinal..

3. 04-28-2012 10:24 AM #3
      Well thx Glegor. I'd hoped that's the answer. I look at the numbers all in the list there and yeah. Any tdi would be better, despite the weight.

110@8000 or 195@1700

duh I guess.

I just looked at the 1.9 specs. A 110hp can be remapped to 140hp and 290 nm. And where I'm at they're cheap. Like 4x less than a 1.2. so maybe that's the way to go.
      If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.