Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: RI State Inspection

Vehicles
      13 Audi S4 Prestige, 13 Golf RS
      04-27-2012 08:34 AM #1
      Since we've swapped the motor in my car, I suspect I'll have issues passing inspection in RI.

Emissions are good, I have no warning lights or anything like that, however the VIN of the ECU doesn't match the VIN of the body of the car.

Does anyone know if this will pose an issue in RI?

If so, does anyone have a friend at a shop that would be interested in helping me out with a sticker? Would be willing to compensate in or a shoot of your car.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
      United Motorsport authorized dealer. PM me anything UM related.

The consequences of being first to market are felt long after the novelty has worn off.

Vehicles
      84 jetta coupe 1.8t, 98 passat 1.8t pc-16,04 audi S4 6mt, 92 lt1 vette coupe
      04-28-2012 07:58 AM #2
      not sure about ri, but you should check if they have a referral program like ma. in ma if the pid values of your pcm arent the same as last years inspection it can fail you and refers you to a state ran inspection site to investigate (thinking you used another car for the test). if they dont have a program like that the obd test most likely just checks readiness status and cel state and if no codes and readiness is complete you're good. i dont think its a viloation to have another cars computer, people buy used computers all the time. in ma engine swaps are legal if you use the emissions equipment, it tests for the year of the engine instead of the car, but the swap has to use newer engine on older car, not vice versa.

Vehicles
      B5.5 Avant,B7 Passat
      04-28-2012 08:38 AM #3
      Non-matching will be an issue in an honest garage inspection. Any chance of swapping original ecu in just for inspection?
      broke.status
      OSD
      NEK

Vehicles
      1997 Jetta GLS
      04-28-2012 08:51 AM #4
      Well if he went from a 2.0 to a VR6 he would have to swap ECUs. And if the original ECU crapped out on him that be the issue in doing that...My guess would be if you had some sort of paperwork showing that the ECU was switched you'd be ok.

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 10:24 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by jvdub24vvr6 View Post
      try T&T Auto in Tiverton
      Could you PM me a contact there?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhitsnpt View Post
      Non-matching will be an issue in an honest garage inspection. Any chance of swapping original ecu in just for inspection?
      The car would not run with the original ECU, which is long gone at this point anyway. We can likely spoof the VIN in the ECU to match what's on the car. Just trying to avoid the extra programming time if I can find someone to toss me a sticker.

The consequences of being first to market are felt long after the novelty has worn off.

Vehicles
      MKIV BMP .:R32
      05-13-2012 05:03 PM #6
      Hey Jesse, I always thought you were from MA. Where in RI are you? The place I go only checks if you have no CEL, and emissions are good. Located in Pawtucket if interested. Also wondering if you have all UM options available for my R? Love your ride dude!

Vehicles
      05-18-2012 12:00 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by choppeR32 View Post
      Hey Jesse, I always thought you were from MA. Where in RI are you? The place I go only checks if you have no CEL, and emissions are good. Located in Pawtucket if interested. Also wondering if you have all UM options available for my R? Love your ride dude!
      I am just having UM match the VIN to the Body. Not worth this hassle.

Which year R do you have? There are a couple different options depending on which gen you've got.

EDIT: read your profile. There are some options, launch control, flat foot shifting, big cams, etc for the MK4

Vehicles
      2000 jetta gl
      05-18-2012 12:03 PM #8
      They rarely check the ecu vin man, they obviously know you swapped because when they run your car, it says 2.0 originally. They won't give you a problem, if they so, my friend does it in westerly and won't hassle you for ecu. Good luck bud.

Sent from my r00ted payph0ne using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      05-18-2012 12:10 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Marc1987 View Post
      They rarely check the ecu vin man, they obviously know you swapped because when they run your car, it says 2.0 originally. They won't give you a problem, if they so, my friend does it in westerly and won't hassle you for ecu. Good luck bud.

My car was a 3.2 before.

Now running a 3.6 with FSI. Someone was likely doing a very thorough job. Can't fault them for that.

Vehicles
      2000 jetta gl
      05-18-2012 12:25 PM #10
      Oic, well regardless, you get what I'm saying lol

Vehicles
      05-19-2012 08:34 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by infiniteecho View Post
      I am just having UM match the VIN to the Body. Not worth this hassle.

Which year R do you have? There are a couple different options depending on which gen you've got.

EDIT: read your profile. There are some options, launch control, flat foot shifting, big cams, etc for the MK4
      Sorry man, I should've been a little more specific. I was asking about software tuning. So you have all options for that then? I was gonna talk to Jorge down at Premier Automotive, but I was curious if you were closer to me? I'm up in Burrillville.

Vehicles
      05-19-2012 05:27 PM #12
      Sorry man, I should've been a little more specific. I was asking about software tuning. So you have all options for that then? I was gonna talk to Jorge down at Premier Automotive, but I was curious if you were closer to me? I'm up in Burrillville.
      I am in Boston, actually.

Not sure if that is closer for you or not. Normally I'd offer a ride in the R36 for incentive, but I just dropped it off for the VIN fix and some more goodies.

Vehicles
      05-19-2012 07:46 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by infiniteecho View Post
      I am in Boston, actually.

Not sure if that is closer for you or not. Normally I'd offer a ride in the R36 for incentive, but I just dropped it off for the VIN fix and some more goodies.
      I just might wait for my tune if I can get a ride in that beast. HAHA! I was confused about your location, that's why I asked. Let me know when you get your ride back!

Vehicles
      05-19-2012 07:47 PM #14
      I just might wait for my tune if I can get a ride in that beast. HAHA! I was confused about your location, that's why I asked. Let me know when you get your ride back!
      Should be mid June.

The car is registered at my property in RI. But I live full time in Boston. Have an MA registered car too. Just too lazy to move the R up to MA.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      MkIII golf 2.0, mkIII Jetta vr6, mkIV Jetta 2.0, 1973 Standard Beetle mkII Diesel Coupe
      05-19-2012 11:41 PM #15
      I can get that passed for you of you don't mind going to Smithfield I have a hookup with inspections. If you've got no codes or your car is year 2000 or under itll pass with flying colors. I've helped a few people out with inspections, pm me for details
      I've seen more Corvette wheels on Volkswagens than I have Corvettes

Proud owner of a mkII Diesel Jetta Coupe and a 73 standard bug!