Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Meguiar's 205 finishing polish?

Vehicles
      09 VW CC
      04-27-2012 12:26 PM #1
      About a week ago I decided to detail my car. I did clay the car and than applied Meguiar's 205 polish all over due to some swirl marks. I applied it by hand and removed it with a microfiber cloth. The paint looked amazing in the garage. Than I applied a coat of Pinnacle Liquid Souveran Wax. When I pulled out from the garage into the sun to see the final result I noticed the paint looked hazy all over back and forth lines not swirl's (the way I applied it). So from reading a few forums I guess I did not work in the polish? So my question is do I have to re-clay and re-polish the car in order to get the hazy swirl marks out? I have never used a polisher but I have one. Its a Craftsman 6" orbital 2 speed 1400 and 1650 RPM. What king of Backing Plate do I need and what pad do I need to use. I order 90% of my stuff from DetailersDomain and I know that they have the Mequiar's 6" backing plate and different pads. I am not sure that it would work with my Craftsman. It would be my first time using the polisher if I really have to. Any help would be great because I hate looking at my car now. I will try and get some pictures up once I wash the car

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '08 Taurus X, '12 GTI, '05 SV650
      04-27-2012 12:58 PM #2
      I would post this up in the 'Ask Detailers Domain' thread at the top of this forum...or just send an email to phil@detailersdomain.com. He is very good about responding to questions like this.

My take on it is that Megs products are really designed to be worked in by machine, so that is why you are seeing the leftover haze. I'm not a pro detailer by any stretch, but I think you are going to have wash the car with a detergent solution that will remove the wax. Assuming the haze lines are still there after the wash, you'll want to go at it with the polisher and some more of the 205. Then you would need to re-wax it.

As for the backing plate for your Craftsman - that's definitely a question for Phil. He will also tell you what kind of pad to use - I'm thinking probably the green if you go with the foam pad. He also just started selling some new Microfiber pads - I have no experience with these yet so not sure which would be appropriate.

Good luck!

Vehicles
      09 VW CC
      04-27-2012 01:27 PM #3
      Thanks Brian, I just did. Will post pictures with the outcome.

Vehicles
      04 R32 06 S4 Avant
      04-27-2012 03:42 PM #4
      Stay away from an orbital. Its not going to have enough power to make a difference and might actually cause more micro-marring.

To answer your question about starting over. Clay isn't going to be necessary again. Wash your car with a little bit of Dawn dish soap which will help soften the wax you put down since its degreaser. If you follow up with a proper Dual Action machine like a Porter Cable 7424 using 205 you'll see the polish start to bring out the shine and color of the paint.

205 tends to get transparent as it breaks down as well. You'll start to notice this especially with a machine and at that point you lighten up your pressure you are applying with your machine and make a few more passes before you're done.

If you won't have access to a D.A. , just work the product into the paint longer and you should be able to remove those issues. Just make sure and follow back up with some wax to protect your work.