Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Eve Online?

1. 04-27-2012 12:04 PM #1
      Anyone playing Eve Online here? I just started playing a few months ago... My life has pretty much revolved around this game since... The only productive thing I've been able to squeeze out is installing coilovers on the car!

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      04-27-2012 06:13 PM #2
      Welcome to 2003

My buddy spends too much of his time with this game as well. He gave me an invite and I tried it out, I couldn't get into it and I'm not someone who pays to play games anyway. Once my demo period was up, I stopped playing it.

Vehicles
      09 Mazda 6 GT V6, 02 GTI 1.8t
      04-28-2012 11:54 AM #3
      Oh Eve Online..... where do I start?
      I was playing about 5 months ago, but other MMO's came along and I can't keep paying subs for games I don't play often.
      Great game, lots of fun, and very deep. They've been trying to smooth out the learning curve as it's very steep, but once you are in, you get hooked. It's probably one of the best thought out, open economy, open style free to roam free to do whatever you want MMO out there.
      So many things can be done, from ship blueprints, to forming/joining corporations, etc.

And they religiously work on updates for the game.

Will probably get back into it soon, as my current MMO's are getting stale.
      Mods: Eibach Pro Kit, APR Cat Back 2.5", APR downpipe, HKS pads, Slotted Front Rotors, Velocity CAI, APR chipped, OEM Siata 17" rims, APR DV

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      04-28-2012 09:53 PM #4
      I love reading about the crazy things people/groups of people pull off in this game, but it's way too steep of a learning curve for me to get into it
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

5. 04-29-2012 12:44 AM #5
      I looked into it, but I was put off by some of the stuff required just for the demo. I don't recall what at the time, but I never got around to it. Shame, looks fun. But I also try to avoid the MMO's for fear of losing my life even more than I already have.

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      04-29-2012 09:31 AM #6
      I really like this MMO because it is almost entirely user generated. Meaning that there are not thousands of NPCs sending you on errands and other repetitive grinding missions. This like this: http://www.geekosystem.com/burn-jita/ make this sound like an MMO that is way more interesting than just about anything out there.

Players’ Attempt to Destroy EVE Online Economy Gets Thumbs-Up From Developers

In-game economies are one of the more fascinating aspects of multiplayer games, and one of the most complex would probably be the space-themed MMO EVE Online. Now, some players are leading an all-out assault on the Jita system, the largest trading hub in the game, in an attempt to destroy EVE’s economy. In response to this existential threat, the game’s developer CCP says: Have at it.

According to Eurogamer, the assault — called Burn Jita — is being led by Alexander Gianturco. Gianturco, who sometimes goes under the name ”The Mittani,” is leading a group called the Goonswarm, named for their affiliation with the Something Awful forums. The group has already amassed a fleet of 14,000 Thrasher destroyers in an attack scheduled to begin tomorrow, though the battle may have begun early.

Sometimes chided for being more like work than play, EVE has built a complex economy and an enormous base of dedicated players that sometimes go so far as to organize themselves into corporations outside the game to reap in-game benefits. Though many games have cooperative aspects, the lengths players go through to be participant in the game’s economy is truly breathtaking.

Speaking to Eurogamer, the game’s lead designer Kristoffer Touborg said that this kind of enormous player-generated event is what makes EVE unique, and as such, should be allowed to happen:

“It’s what makes Eve a really good game,” he said. “Do you want to play a 15 minute match of Call of Duty that you won’t remember the next day, or do you want to spend four months manufacturing 14,000 Thrashers to do this? It’s just so big and awesome.”
      Touborg went on to say that the assault might be good for the game’s economy, where many well-off players will lose a hefty chunk of their buying power and be forced to start again.

Interestingly, the EVE wiki seems to indicate that Jita became the game’s largest trading hub through emergent play and was not designated by the developers. In that light, it seems fitting that player-generated economic boom be threatened by player-generated economic bust.

Unfortunately, this interesting exercise in virtual economies has a darker side. Prior to his attempt to destroy the existing EVE economy, Gianturco made waves in the EVE community for encouraging a depressed player to commit suicide, and for others to join in. This sparked understandable outrage, and eventually led to Gianturco being banned from the game for 30 days — the end of which is noticeably tied to the beginning of the Burn Jita assault.

UPDATE:

This article has some more information for what, exactly, Burn Jita would accomplish. It seems that the plan is simply to kill everything in the area, and lay siege to it for as long as possible. The outcome would be scarcities and a reshuffling of the current economy, but most players would probably seek out a new place to sell their wares. Still, it could have far-reaching effects within the game world.
      http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/08...-trillion-isk/

Biggest EVE Online scam ever recorded nets over a trillion ISK

Of all the stories that come out of EVE Online's colossal sandbox, it's the tales of criminality and dirty dealings that grab our attention the most. Thefts and scams would be cause for account closure in most MMOs, but they form a legitimate and dark part of the EVE universe. The famous Guiding Hand Social Club heist of 2005, Ricdic's EBank scandal and last year's massive 800 billion ISK Titans4U scam are just a few of the most high-profile thefts and scams to hit the EVE community over the years.

Today the biggest scam ever recorded hit thousands of EVE Online players like a brick in the face, netting a record one trillion ISK in final takings. Proving that old ideas still work, Eddie Lampert and Mordor Exuel pulled off a simple Ponzi scheme on a massive scale. Promising unprecedented returns of 5% per week on invested ISK, the duo convinced over 4,000 players to open accounts in their Phaser Inc. investment scheme. Many initially dubious players were eventually convinced to invest by real testimonials from their friends and corpmates.

Over 1,831.67 billion ISK was invested, 345.18 billion of which was paid out as interest and 452.72 billion of which was withdrawn by wary investors. When the business closed up earlier today its owners collected the remaining 1,034 billion ISK. To put that massive number in perspective, it's enough to buy 2,953 30-day time codes worth a total of $51,677.50.
      Last edited by A.Wilder; 04-29-2012 at 09:35 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

Vehicles
      2005 MCS "Hyper Blue", 2006 330ci "Silver Grey"
      04-30-2012 12:14 AM #7
      Hope you like mining
      pardon my 'merican

Vehicles
      2001 W.E Jetta
      04-30-2012 12:00 PM #8
      I played it and really liked it, but hated the monthly $$ and time drain on life. Mining is a big part of it, i leveled up in it alot then realized i could make just as much missioning with a few higher level guys and have more fun. If it was 10 a month maybe, but I don't have time for it any more.

The game is basically about being deviant, the more you hunt and steal the faster and better you become. It takes a long time going the good road, but in the end what is good? Not greifing younglings?
      Last edited by XClayX; 04-30-2012 at 12:03 PM.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      05-02-2012 01:06 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by XClayX View Post
      I played it and really liked it, but hated the monthly $$ and time drain on life. Mining is a big part of it, i leveled up in it alot then realized i could make just as much missioning with a few higher level guys and have more fun. If it was 10 a month maybe, but I don't have time for it any more.

The game is basically about being deviant, the more you hunt and steal the faster and better you become. It takes a long time going the good road, but in the end what is good? Not greifing younglings?
      Carebear.

10. 06-04-2012 02:23 PM #10
      you RDY for the FP shooter on ps3?

06-04-2012 03:14 PM #11
      Eve = spreadsheets in space!