Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: high reving when hitting the pedal hard....

04-27-2012 01:28 PM #1
      i did have the mech recall done a while back. lately, on several occasions, when i've hit the pedal to the floor "fast", i would get a high rev to 3-4k with the car not moving any faster and then after the revs come back to 1-2k the car would take off like it should. the perfect example of this would be when i wanted to change lanes or pass someone on the freeway.

the car accelerates normally when i am depressing the pedal incrementally and i haven't seen the same type of thing during any other situation. i've had the car for a year and hadn't really noticed this prior to recent driving. thanks in advance for any thoughts.... maybe this is normal and i just have had too much fun driving to notice.

yes i've used the search

shark~

2. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk5 R32 #108, 08' Mk5 Jetta
      04-27-2012 01:41 PM #2
      i would say the engine shifts into a lower gear, rev matches, then relizes it doesnt need to be in such a low gear then up-shifts to proper gear. If your going to mash the pedal keep it mashed.
      Projekt German Auto Grüppe - German car entusiast club based in Iowa with members all over the Midwest

Vehicles
      2009 VW GTI ; 2012 VW Golf TDI - 4DR 6MT
      04-27-2012 01:42 PM #3
      Sounds to me like you are flirting wtih the kickdown switch but not "commiting" to it. In other words, when you first floor it you are tapping the kickdown enough to momentarily engage it which sends the DSg to the lowest possible gear; and of course revs up as high as needed to rev match the shift; but then you are not completing the action by holding the kickdown, down...

to simplify it sounds perfectly normal to me. You are likely giving mixed signals and the car is trying to do what you want and find the right gear.

get on a clear road and try a few things:

1. Get up to about 40-50 cruising, then floor it fully. I mean fully, until you feel pressure and then a sort of "click" again afterward, hold it down past the "click". That's the kickdown switch. Your car should have just downshifted to 2nd or 3rd bolted hard.

2. Do the same thing again once you are cruising in 6th; but as soon as you feel the kickdown engage, let off partway. Now your car will rev up for that max gear shift; and then rev back down as it reengages 4th or 5th to match your lower input. This should probably feel similar to what you are currently describing.

3. Get up to speed cruising 1 more time. Now slowly give it gas until you get up to 100% throttle, but do NOT engage the kickdown. You'll be able to feel each shift point as the car tries to match your acceleration needs, and each one will rev higher as the car rev-matches the downshift.

Then come back and report if the problem still feels the same or if you've got it taken care of
      -Jason
      '12 TDI 6M with "stuff"
      Drive a Diesel?
      Underwraps Automotive

Vehicles
      08 bullitt, 97 jetta gt............^^buy my Bullitt
      04-27-2012 01:51 PM #4
      ^this

excellent description and instruction saab

Vehicles
      Mkv R32
      04-27-2012 02:47 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by sjparker View Post
      ^this

excellent description and instruction saab
      X2

04-28-2012 01:16 AM #6
      ahhh ok. thanks for the replies. i'll try and report back.

shark ~

Vehicles
      heavy understeer and snap oversteer. PQ35 perfect.
      04-28-2012 11:54 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Saabstory02 View Post
      Sounds to me like you are flirting wtih the kickdown switch but not "commiting" to it. In other words, when you first floor it you are tapping the kickdown enough to momentarily engage it which sends the DSg to the lowest possible gear; and of course revs up as high as needed to rev match the shift; but then you are not completing the action by holding the kickdown, down...

to simplify it sounds perfectly normal to me. You are likely giving mixed signals and the car is trying to do what you want and find the right gear.

get on a clear road and try a few things:

1. Get up to about 40-50 cruising, then floor it fully. I mean fully, until you feel pressure and then a sort of "click" again afterward, hold it down past the "click". That's the kickdown switch. Your car should have just downshifted to 2nd or 3rd bolted hard.

2. Do the same thing again once you are cruising in 6th; but as soon as you feel the kickdown engage, let off partway. Now your car will rev up for that max gear shift; and then rev back down as it reengages 4th or 5th to match your lower input. This should probably feel similar to what you are currently describing.

3. Get up to speed cruising 1 more time. Now slowly give it gas until you get up to 100% throttle, but do NOT engage the kickdown. You'll be able to feel each shift point as the car tries to match your acceleration needs, and each one will rev higher as the car rev-matches the downshift.

Then come back and report if the problem still feels the same or if you've got it taken care of
      +1 for sure.
      function/form