Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Removing Wax - Terry Cloth vs. Microfiber

04-27-2012 12:47 PM #1
      Hey I'm not a hardcore detailing nut, but I just had a quick question.

I was buffing out P21S Wax yesterday and I started off using an terry cloth wash towel. It was very soft but it took longer to buff out the wax and buff to a shine. Then I switched to a microfiber cloth, the kind I usually used to clean my car's windows. It was a very tight, fine microfiber, not a looser softer one. It buffed the wax off in no time. But I wondered if that was bad for the paint job.

Any recos, opinions on which to use? Can a microfiber cloth leave swirl marks more than a terry cloth towel?

I dont' have any machines so I do it all by hand.

Vehicles
      04 R32 06 S4 Avant
      04-27-2012 02:55 PM #2
      Since I have a Cost-Co at my disposal I pick up their yellow Microfiber towels (36 for $17.99). They are nice and soft and its all I use to detail with. I do remove all the white tags from my towels before I begin.

Over time as the towels get dirty even after washing they get moved on to other car duty's like tires, wheels, engine bays etc.

If you have a cost-co near you, check it out b/c its a great deal on a lot of Micro-fibers.

04-27-2012 05:21 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Any recos, opinions on which to use? Can a microfiber cloth leave swirl marks more than a terry cloth towel?

Answer ..no .. Terry is abrasive and will cause more issues .. see note above re Costco.

04-27-2012 05:25 PM #4
      Seriously, a cotton terry cloth towel is abrasive? How? It's just soft cotton fibre.

04-27-2012 05:27 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Seriously, a cotton terry cloth towel is abrasive? How? It's just soft cotton fibre.
      The shape of the nap .. thickness.. etc etc etc .. but if you feel you must .. go for it .. Old school detailers used to use it with polishes to get more "cut" to remove scratches.
      Last edited by Jesstzn; 04-27-2012 at 05:44 PM.

6. 04-29-2012 09:40 AM #6
      The polyester and polyamide content of Microfiber is typically; a blend of 80% polyester (a scrubbing fibre) and 20% polyamide (an absorbing fibre).The nature of this yarn is that it is an absorbent; the reason polyester appears to absorb liquids is the many thousands of micro fibres that collectively encapsulate, this is what makes them so good at cleaning. These are some of the reasons I like the concept of microfiber, but I’ve yet to see a consistency in their quality as most are produced to a price not a quality specification.

Microfiber towel - made from polyester/polyamide will remove product (wax and polymer sealant, etc) as they actually lift the wax from the surface you are cleaning and then store the particle or liquid in the towel. They hold these foreign materials in their web of hooks until they are washed in warm water where the fibres relax and release these materials (that’s why they are so good at cleaning without the use of chemicals). The polyester and polyamide are combined during weaving to create microscopic loops, which form a network of tiny hooks, scrubbing away dirt and grime while trapping it within the weave.

Conversely the same attributes that make Microfiber so good at cleaning have an adverse affect when applying wax. A polymer sealant forms a molecular bond with the paint surface, so when you remove it, you are removing excess product. An organic wax however, doesn’t form a bond with the paint surface but merely adheres to it, forming a chain-link type coating.

Cotton Towel - high thread count, 100% cotton lint-free, with limited absorption so saves on product These detailing towels with a terrycloth weave are spun with long staple cotton and then woven into 100% natural looped terrycloth or velour, the larger fibre loop size that makes up the towels nap are trimmed to produce a fine nap, ideal for buffing. A 100% cotton towel will leave enough of the wax behind to enable it to form a surface coating.

Note - a terry weave towel has slight abrasive ability, which may be useful with some cleaning products

Be cognizant of the material (s) used to bind the edges of the towel (Microfiber or 100% cotton) These are much more likely to cause surface marring than the towel itself, the solution is to ensure they are paint friendly or remove the edge binding
      ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog -TOGWT

04-29-2012 09:54 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post

Conversely the same attributes that make Microfiber so good at cleaning have an adverse affect when applying wax. A polymer sealant forms a molecular bond with the paint surface, so when you remove it, you are removing excess product. An organic wax however, doesn’t form a bond with the paint surface but merely adheres to it, forming a chain-link type coating.

You might want to rewrite this .. doesn't make any sense , Whats the adverse effect when applying v/s removing? Also when removing either aren't you removing excess product?

Also not relevent to the OPs question.

8. 05-03-2012 07:23 AM #8
      We can always count on you to start an argument when someone disagrees with you, keep up the good work as you are an invaluable asset to this or any other detailing forum

[No one knows everything, but then there are the people who don't even know enough to realize that some people know more than they do] Anon
      Last edited by TOGWT; 05-03-2012 at 07:27 AM.
      ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog -TOGWT

05-03-2012 09:26 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
      We can always count on you to start an argument when someone disagrees with you, keep up the good work as you are an invaluable asset to this or any other detailing forum

[No one knows everything, but then there are the people who don't even know enough to realize that some people know more than they do] Anon
      I wasn't disagreeing .. I was asking for clarification.

The bold quote above apply to you?

10. 05-09-2012 01:22 PM #10
      I think what he was saying is that when you apply a sealant/wax with a microfiber you are essentially losing excess product because of its more absorbent nature and cleaning ability as compared to terry. I could see that making sense, but at the same time I can't. So, I'm curious about clarification as well, if TOGWT would care to do so.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1992 Corrado SLC; 1974 Porsche 914 2.0
      05-19-2012 10:20 PM #11
      Put a very small dab of the wax on your fingers and rub into your palms creating friction. You'll heat the wax by doing so. I use both hands when applying. Now using your palm and fingers, rub the wax onto the car in a small area. Two foot square section at a time. Do not let it dry. Immediatley buff/wipe it off with your choice of towels. I use the Uber no name super plush towel from Detailer's Domain. Results are fantastic with no clouding or streaking. The key is to get the wax warm. Wax removal is very easy. Hope that helps.