Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 55

    Thread: Raw Deal from VW

    1. Junior Member EsqR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2012
      Location
      Redneck Riviera
      Posts
      90
      04-27-2012 03:01 PM #1
      A good friend of mine took his MKV R into a dealership because he was noticing noise and a problem with his transmission two months ago. They told him nothing was wrong. He went to Wookies this past weekend, his transmission is now destroyed from a bolt backing out of it. VWoa and the dealership are telling him tough luck and putting him on the hook for $9k in parts and labor for a fix. There is a comment thread on VWoA's facebook page, and I think all enthusiasts should chime in to back another one up to try and get them to take responsibility for what happened. the link is here for your ease:

      https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...4&notif_t=like

    2. Member peruski's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 28th, 2006
      Location
      SE MI
      Posts
      1,184
      Vehicles
      Golf R
      04-27-2012 03:04 PM #2
      What is their reason for denying warranty repairs? Is the car modified?

    3. Member Time for a GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 25th, 2006
      Location
      NH
      Posts
      9,169
      Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      04-27-2012 03:05 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by EsqR View Post
      MKV R
      MkV? How many miles on it? Mods?
      Scotch. It's time.

      Quote Originally Posted by Chockomon
      2 Emmetts = Pi * sqrt(cockerpunk)

    4. Junior Member EsqR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2012
      Location
      Redneck Riviera
      Posts
      90
      04-27-2012 03:06 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by peruski View Post
      What is their reason for denying warranty repairs? Is the car modified?
      yes, the car is modified, not sure if the transmission is flashed though. regardless, in a situation like this the modifications don't matter, as he as a paying customer went to a VW dealership, asked for an inspection of the transmission because he thought there was a problem and they did not adequately inspect the transmission and find the issue.

    5. Junior Member EsqR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2012
      Location
      Redneck Riviera
      Posts
      90
      04-27-2012 03:07 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      MkV? How many miles on it? Mods?
      I'll get him to chime in on here and he can tell you more about the specifics.

    6. Member pierovw's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 11th, 2011
      Posts
      645
      Vehicles
      2012 Rising Blue Golf R
      04-27-2012 03:16 PM #6
      There I submitted a comment hopefully they'll chime in...

    7. Member climbingcue's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2001
      Location
      Morristown NJ
      Posts
      9,756
      Vehicles
      2012 VW GOLF R, 2012 RZR 900 XP
      04-27-2012 03:33 PM #7
      Drive the car in the lake or ocean and collect insurance money. Do not give the dealership $9k

      Good luck
      United Motorsport 12.311@112 mph on 93 octane
      Georgia 1/2 mile 2014 135.78 mph

    8. 04-27-2012 03:42 PM #8
      Did a VW engineer at any point address the situation? I would call VW to arrange a meeting at your local VW dealer with your service department. Good luck! I hate hearing about experiences like this.

    9. Banned BetaOp9's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 4th, 2006
      Posts
      5,408
      Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 [TR #2392]
      04-27-2012 03:46 PM #9
      I'm the owner of the MKV R. Now I need to clarify a many things...

      The car is currently at 83k miles, and is outside the warranty of the powertrain. The DSG is still covered under a 10yr/100k warranty...however the problem is NOT related to the DSG. The flywheel is part of the engine as it bolts directly onto the crankshaft. So, I understand that is not under warranty and is my responsibility....what isn't my fault is their laxidasical attitude toward my problem when I took it in and their oversight resulted in the failure of my flywheel. I gave them a full rundown of what I had done (replaced coilpacks/swapped spark plugs)...they did the same things I did and charged me for it.

      Below is my initial thread regarding the problem. I was having weird phantom misfires with some DSG jerkiness as well. I did not correlate the two during my diagnostics and could not solve the problem...so I took it to VW for them to find out what the deal is. $130 later I'm told I just need fuel injector cleaner and that they "couldn't replicate the problem" and that the jerkiness is from the stiffer bushings on the new mechatronics unit...of course the DSG did just I complained about on the way out from the dealer. I cleaned the injectors, the severity of the problem lessened but I still got sporadic misfires with no loss of power and jerky DSG symptoms that I was now told "was normal" which is why they "couldn't replicate the problem" but they did tell me the tech noticed knocking in the engine.

      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...High-RPMs-only

      I did some VAG-COM logs and noticed my timing was exremely aggressive. I an UM flashed and spoke to Jeff and we both agreed this was not caused by the flash and that something was triggering the timing to be extremely aggressive. Yet, what could it be?

      Now I know. Flywheel bolts had begun to back out, this caused vibrations from a now wobbling flywheel to be sent throughout the engine. At higher RPMs these mimicked the vibrations that triggered the knock sensors into thinking there was a misfire. The engine then tried to compensate for these pseudo "knocks" by making the timing more aggressive resulting in engine knock. That is why I had no loss of power during "misfires". It took from then to now to completely fail...and it didn't get gradually worse...it went from weird uncomfortable shifting to loud ass noise in one moment. There was no scrapping or rattling noise as other have expressed happened.

      Sorry if this isn't very clear, I'm on my cell so it's difficult to keep track of what I type, lol.

      If you have questions. Shoot. Thanks for all of the help guys.

    10. Member smd3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2001
      Posts
      4,393
      Vehicles
      Golf R, Routan, GMC Astro
      04-27-2012 04:08 PM #10
      I think this is the first time I've ever heard someone suggest that timing would get more aggressive, ie advanced, due to detected knock.

      Did you log the knock sensors, or just the timing?

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 23rd, 2006
      Posts
      1,848
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      04-27-2012 11:28 PM #11
      So it's their fault because they couldn't diagnose the issue correctly and the part failed? Did you go to another shop for a second opinion? Did you stop driving the car and ask that they dig in to the issue further at your cost? I'm guessing no. And even if you did a repair shop isn't any more responsible for not being able to diagnose a problem than a doctor is. It's your car and your responsibility to make sure it's taken care of to your satisfaction. Take some responsibility. This is a prime example why our country is in the crapper.

    12. Banned BetaOp9's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 4th, 2006
      Posts
      5,408
      Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 [TR #2392]
      04-28-2012 01:47 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by webcrawlr View Post
      So it's their fault because they couldn't diagnose the issue correctly and the part failed? Did you go to another shop for a second opinion? Did you stop driving the car and ask that they dig in to the issue further at your cost? I'm guessing no. And even if you did a repair shop isn't any more responsible for not being able to diagnose a problem than a doctor is. It's your car and your responsibility to make sure it's taken care of to your satisfaction. Take some responsibility. This is a prime example why our country is in the crapper.
      This country is in the crapper for far more nefarious reasons. I appreciate your position and opinion on the matter, and I'm not asking for VW to foot the entire bill. However, I am expecting some responsibility on their part. Unless it's normal for these bolts to back out of the flywheel and I'm wrong in thinking this shouldn't happen in the first place. Regardless, I don't agree with your position in this case and I hope it tickles you pink to know I'll likely be force to foot the entire bill. I'm hopeful you're never put in such a position to have to deal with something like this regarding your car or your person. It has a way of making one reevaluate such idealogies.




      Quote Originally Posted by brownchicken/browncow View Post
      X2

      Gotta pay to play!
      If knew anything about me, you'd know that I pay plenty and play properly.

    13. Member Sarpedon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2011
      Location
      Long Beach CA
      Posts
      154
      Vehicles
      '08 R32 112/5000
      04-28-2012 03:24 AM #13
      I can understand how much this situation sucks for you, Beta, but what do you honestly expect?

      You yourself said that the car was running a dozen times better after your seafoam treatment, and earlier in that same thread mentioned that you were doing a lot of the work yourself ("I don't plan on running to a tech everytime my car has a problem, and the way to do that is through hands on experience, gusto, and reading documentation").

      You know your car is not 100%, yet you decide to drive it up to WiTW anyway?

      Is this forum and facebook-bombing what you meant when you said "They refused to warranty the car. Time for my alternative plan."? Basically shame VW into footing part of the bill?

      Sorry man, I know it sucks to look at thousands of dollars to fix the car, but still, that's kinda low.

    14. Member zevion's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Newport Beach, CA and Minneapolis, MN
      Posts
      1,110
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R
      04-28-2012 03:54 AM #14
      A $35K VW should not destroy its motor because of a flywheel issue at 83K miles. And a software tune would have nothing to do with it. Something was wrong with this car and IMO that's that. VWoA should step up and make it right or meet half way. Warranty or not.

    15. Banned BetaOp9's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 4th, 2006
      Posts
      5,408
      Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 [TR #2392]
      04-28-2012 04:07 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Sarpedon View Post
      I can understand how much this situation sucks for you, Beta, but what do you honestly expect?

      You know your car is not 100%, yet you decide to drive it up to WiTW anyway?
      What are you expecting from your post? The opportunity to be heard. That is all I am asking for from Volkswagen and through great effort I have finally achieved that.

      As for driving up to WiTW's, after being expressed by Professionals who I trusted that my concerns were not valid and part of the normal operation of the car I took that into consideration. The car ran strong, felt solid, there was no reason not to take it other than my self doubt.

      Quote Originally Posted by Sarpedon View Post
      Is this forum and facebook-bombing what you meant when you said "They refused to warranty the car. Time for my alternative plan."? Basically shame VW into footing part of the bill?
      No, actually it's not. My alternative plan has nothing to do with Volkswagen and everything to do with sending my car to IMS Tuning for an engine swap. Out of context, anything can be made to sound treturous.

      As for "forum/facebook bombing" them...I've done no such thing. I post ONE legitimate post on their Facebook page about how rude one of their customer care reps were to me and how I wanted an opportunity to talk to someone higher up MYSELF and I'm being labeled as conniving and low? Forget that. I can't help it if the people I know are supportive and feel that my situation might be cause to rally and post their thoughts and support. To show how supportive these people have been, I've had NUMEROUS financial donation offers totaling well over $1k to help with the sitation and I've refused every single one. Why? Because I AM taking responsibility for my sitation.

      I didn't even post this in this forum, but was asked to chime in so I did only to be looked at as if I'm cheapskate who wants a free ride on the corporate dollar. I would imagine in all of your reading regarding what I've posted, you've read some of the positive posts regarding my character and think "well these two things don't match up".

      Does anyone else want to allude to my being dishonest and conniving while shirking my responsibility?

    16. Banned
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2012
      Posts
      2,798
      04-28-2012 04:32 AM #16
      at some of these responses in here.

    17. 04-28-2012 05:03 AM #17
      hmm sounds like deja vu, wait, it is! but why make 2 posts about it I suppose the OP wasn't aware of the thread beta made.

      I think it's just a case of ****ty luck. Personally I don't know what role the dealer played in this, but I wouldn't want to put too much faith in them unless you know a tech personally.

      either way hopefully things work out.

    18. Member Sarpedon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2011
      Location
      Long Beach CA
      Posts
      154
      Vehicles
      '08 R32 112/5000
      04-28-2012 07:22 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by BetaOp9 View Post
      What are you expecting from your post? The opportunity to be heard. That is all I am asking for from Volkswagen and through great effort I have finally achieved that.
      Fair enough.

      As for driving up to WiTW's, after being expressed by Professionals who I trusted that my concerns were not valid and part of the normal operation of the car I took that into consideration. The car ran strong, felt solid, there was no reason not to take it other than my self doubt.
      Also, fair enough.

      No, actually it's not. My alternative plan has nothing to do with Volkswagen and everything to do with sending my car to IMS Tuning for an engine swap. Out of context, anything can be made to sound treturous.
      It was not my intention to imply that you're being 'treacherous'. As an outsider looking in (as I imagine some of the other folks here may be), I can only go by what I'm reading in the forums.
      What I read had no mention of sending the car to IMS Tuning, but you did ask people to like/comment/whatever on the Facebook thread.
      Not 'treacherous', but not exactly very forthcoming either.

      As for "forum/facebook bombing" them...I've done no such thing. I post ONE legitimate post on their Facebook page about how rude one of their customer care reps were to me and how I wanted an opportunity to talk to someone higher up MYSELF and I'm being labeled as conniving and low? Forget that. I can't help it if the people I know are supportive and feel that my situation might be cause to rally and post their thoughts and support.
      You asked yesterday in one thread to help you get noticed by VW on Facebook by liking/commenting on your post. I read all of them, and everyone is pretty much going "shame on you, VW".

      To show how supportive these people have been, I've had NUMEROUS financial donation offers totaling well over $1k to help with the sitation and I've refused every single one. Why? Because I AM taking responsibility for my sitation.
      What people do with their money is not my business, and I am not saying they should or shouldn't help you out. What happened to you sucks, and if people want to help, more power to them.

      I didn't even post this in this forum, but was asked to chime in so I did only to be looked at as if I'm cheapskate who wants a free ride on the corporate dollar. I would imagine in all of your reading regarding what I've posted, you've read some of the positive posts regarding my character and think "well these two things don't match up".

      Yesterday 08:49 AM -
      I posted on Volkswagen USA's facebook page my situation, and you can help get it noticed.

      Like it. Comment on it. Show your support/disappointment. Keep it smart and respectful. I'm asking for my voice to be heard, not shut down an empire.


      All I am asking is for assitance with the bill, as it was not my oversight that allowed this to get so far.
      I don't know you, so I don't know your 'character'. You seem like a nice guy, who's very helpful with your guides and howtos, and based on the FB comments, a 'stand-up guy' who's 'big in the FL VW scene'. That's pretty cool, and I have no reason to doubt any of that.
      However, I don't know you or dealt with you, you're just another forum poster, just like I am just another poster, that's all. And the post I quoted above is telling me that you want a 'partially-corporate-sponsored ride'.

      Does anyone else want to allude to my being dishonest and conniving while shirking my responsibility?
      No one is saying you're dishonest or conniving. What I am saying is that if you want help dealing with VW, then let's be clear about it rather than just have everyone on FB pile up like VW are the bad guys.

      1) Car develops strange issue a month or so ago
      2) You try to troubleshoot it, take it to a dealer, dealer tells you car is ok.
      3) You perform some repairs and maintenance as reported that improved the issue (athough it's still present to some extent)
      4) Car seems in decent shape for trip. Off you go, then *really bad things* happen.
      5) You try to get in touch with VW to see why the dealer you took it for a checkup missed original issue, resulting in a even bigger problem. VW are 'less-than-thrilled' to help.

      Is that about correct?

      Let's be fair here. You have a car out of warranty, with number of aftermarket modifications that may cause a (less-than-competent or helpful) dealer to have issues getting to the root cause of the issue (particularly the ECU/DSG tunes).
      Incidentally, you make no mention whether or not VW and the dealer are/were fully aware of the extent of the modifications.
      You continue to drive the car, and (as far as I can tell) opt not to take it to another mechanic/dealer/whatever because you may not have had the time, money, etc.

      Where exactly is VW at fault?

      I hope you get things sorted out one way or another, but IMHO, I don't think VW itself is doing anything wrong here.

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2011
      Location
      RI
      Posts
      959
      Vehicles
      MKV R32, MKII GLI
      04-28-2012 09:31 AM #19
      Who brought the douche?

      In al seriousness. Your looking at it too hard. Beta brought it a dealership to get a problem checked out. They said its good. He drives it and it breaks on him. How is VW not responsible for this? I dot understand your argument to Beta. He caught something wrong, brought it in, they told him it was fine, and so he drove his car like any other normal person would do. Car breaks and it's not VW's problem?

      The fact that he caught something wrong, dealership waived it off and then something breaks soon after he brought it to the dealership is too much of a coincidence of you ask me.

      Be real dude, look at the facts and stop trying to be a douchebag.

    20. Banned
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2008
      Location
      Bronx
      Posts
      1,640
      Vehicles
      R32 MK V
      04-28-2012 09:43 AM #20
      Not so much VW problem but the dealerships

    21. Member OUG13's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 28th, 2011
      Location
      Middle of Dayton & Cincinnati, Ohio
      Posts
      288
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi S5
      04-28-2012 10:11 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Sdubs View Post
      Who brought the douche?

      In al seriousness. Your looking at it too hard. Beta brought it a dealership to get a problem checked out. They said its good. He drives it and it breaks on him. How is VW not responsible for this? I dot understand your argument to Beta. He caught something wrong, brought it in, they told him it was fine, and so he drove his car like any other normal person would do. Car breaks and it's not VW's problem?

      The fact that he caught something wrong, dealership waived it off and then something breaks soon after he brought it to the dealership is too much of a coincidence of you ask me.

      Be real dude, look at the facts and stop trying to be a douchebag.
      R.I.P. MKV R32 #2327 United Gray Metallic

    22. Member milk4brains's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 1st, 2007
      Location
      RI
      Posts
      1,316
      Vehicles
      98 colorado red 1.8t passat,2008 R32 #3800 CW (SOLD) :(
      04-28-2012 10:12 AM #22
      yeah i would say its more the dealer ships problem all dealerships work flat rate and sometimes things get over looked they jump to standard problems. I had had a problem with a local dealer ship with another car myself. it is always a good idea to take it to a few different shops the more oppions you can get onthe issue. you should look for some other shops that work on vw audi often. i think at this point you might be stuck paying it unless you get a hole in your oil pan and call it an insurance job


      good luck with your situation are they replacing the engine? what is the $9,000 for i may have missed it i am reading from a cell phone

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2009
      Location
      Orlando...for now
      Posts
      519
      Vehicles
      2008 VW R32
      04-28-2012 11:31 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by webcrawlr View Post
      So it's their fault because they couldn't diagnose the issue correctly and the part failed? Did you go to another shop for a second opinion? Did you stop driving the car and ask that they dig in to the issue further at your cost? I'm guessing no. And even if you did a repair shop isn't any more responsible for not being able to diagnose a problem than a doctor is. It's your car and your responsibility to make sure it's taken care of to your satisfaction. Take some responsibility. This is a prime example why our country is in the crapper.
      Really!? Your comments are foolish at best...

    24. 04-28-2012 11:47 AM #24
      Rarely does a company as big as VW bow to the court of public opinion when there is only one victim. Just a basic premise.

      Does VW or the dealership have any legal responsibility is the question. VW provide a warranty that is reasonable. Can failures occur outside the warrant? Yep. Is VW liable when that happens? Only if it's such a widespread problem that a recall is ordered.

      Would VW be interested in this failure as the first of a widespread problem? With less than 5000 of these units in the USA it won't ever be "widespread".

      The dealership could have made a difference. Were they negligent in their diagnosis of the problem? That's the question for an arbitrator, if that's even an option. Prior to spending $9K on repairs it might be worth $1K to contact a lawyer to see if there's a legal option. Of course they'll tell you it'll cost you $10K to answer that question by taking it to court, but a letter from "your" lawyer to the dealership using a few good legal phrases will make the dealership negotiate in good faith.

      Bottom line, you need to use effective means to negotiate this local issue. It's not a VW issue unless the dealership, once committed to helping you, will state that the factory failed to install the bolts properly resulting in their inevitable failure.

      Good luck. It sucks when you lose confidence in the folks who are supposed to help.

      C97

    25. Member strausj22's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 16th, 2008
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      795
      Vehicles
      MKV .:R
      04-28-2012 11:48 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by kidplatinum View Post
      Really!? Your comments are foolish at best...
      2nd that...

      Chimed in on the facebook post. I think VWoA needs to pay more attention to the face of their business, these lousy dealerships. It's terrible that the service portion of these businesses are so brutal. I could go on for days on how much I dread bringing my car to a dealership for any type of work. It's almost a guarantee that my car comes back with a new issue or with the original issue ("we could not recreate the issue...") ... I think VWoA should do a "secret shopper" survey of some of their notoriously bad dealerships. Although, by the sounds of it, that may prove to be rediculously expensive as these issues are so common.

      I've even heard of some dealerships using the workshop mop to clean the cars!?!?! WHATT!?!?!
      MKV .:R - Bilstein PSS10 & Nuespeed 25mm Rear Sway

    26. Member strausj22's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 16th, 2008
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      795
      Vehicles
      MKV .:R
      04-28-2012 11:50 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by centauro97 View Post
      Rarely does a company as big as VW bow to the court of public opinion when there is only one victim. Just a basic premise.

      Does VW or the dealership have any legal responsibility is the question. VW provide a warranty that is reasonable. Can failures occur outside the warrant? Yep. Is VW liable when that happens? Only if it's such a widespread problem that a recall is ordered.

      Would VW be interested in this failure as the first of a widespread problem? With less than 5000 of these units in the USA it won't ever be "widespread".

      The dealership could have made a difference. Were they negligent in their diagnosis of the problem? That's the question for an arbitrator, if that's even an option. Prior to spending $9K on repairs it might be worth $1K to contact a lawyer to see if there's a legal option. Of course they'll tell you it'll cost you $10K to answer that question by taking it to court, but a letter from "your" lawyer to the dealership using a few good legal phrases will make the dealership negotiate in good faith.

      Bottom line, you need to use effective means to negotiate this local issue. It's not a VW issue unless the dealership, once committed to helping you, will state that the factory failed to install the bolts properly resulting in their inevitable failure.

      Good luck. It sucks when you lose confidence in the folks who are supposed to help.

      C97
      I agree with you on this, but I do think that we're in an age of accountability. Social media and forums like these force larger business to make ammends, even with individual issues like these.
      MKV .:R - Bilstein PSS10 & Nuespeed 25mm Rear Sway

    27. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2009
      Location
      Orlando...for now
      Posts
      519
      Vehicles
      2008 VW R32
      04-28-2012 11:51 AM #27
      First I would like to say that if the initial failed part was not touched by the owner...then the "pay to play" comments appear to have no validity. If the initial part that failed was not influenced by the modifications the owner made…then VW would be responsible if under warranty. A bolt backing out is crazy…that is wrong…VERY WRONG. If the correct type of bolt is being used in the application it was designed for and is installed properly it should NEVER back out. Two exceptions... unless specifically designed to do so or something is wrong. I have the feeling the flywheel bolts are not designed to back out...so I am going to go with something is wrong...final answer. Something has caused this and that is what the dealership needs to identify. The failure of other parts and/or systems after the bolt backed out is secondary at this point. Those failures were caused by the bolt. I would hate for anyone to pay $9k and have the same problem later due to the real problem not being resolved.

      So if we are getting the complete story from the owner...I would think VW and the VW dealership needs to resolve the issue.

      It appears to me that the owner attempted to get this issue resolved. He went to the dealer and also spoke with the manufacture for the software upgrade. I am not really sure what other measures could have been taken that would have yielded different results. The dealership is responsible for diagnostics of the car, no? So if the issue was not diagnosed properly by the very entity who exist to do just that...makes me think the dealer is at fault (just my opinion).

      Hopefully this will be resolved in a manner where VW and the owner will be happy.

    28. Member 10Ten's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 29th, 2007
      Location
      Dave's not here.
      Posts
      6,405
      Vehicles
      heavy understeer and snap oversteer. PQ35 perfect.
      04-28-2012 11:51 AM #28
      wow Beta, i haven't been keeping up with most posts on our forum... sorry to hear about this.

      i agree that VW should take no less than half the responsibility. no less. more is better for continued healthy consumer relations.
      function/form

    29. Member Uncle Wiggley's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2007
      Location
      San Diego
      Posts
      2,474
      Vehicles
      2008 TR R32, 2013 S4
      04-28-2012 01:12 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by BlixaBargeld View Post
      Not so much VW problem but the dealerships
      Disagree, agree, but in a friendly way. It is a VW problem, VW needs to watch and hold themselves just as accountable as the dealerships/service centers that sell and maintain the product.

      VW service is just terrible, and the fact I hear stuff from my neighbors who own VW's and suffer the same issues similar to Beta and others on the Tex is ridiculous, these people are not even close to the modification market and still getting the shaft.

    30. 04-28-2012 02:20 PM #30
      VW would only be liable through negligence or through malice.

      Not sure if that's the case here, but from this rather lengthy Google search it seems that they have a bit of a problem with their dual mass flywheels.

      There's even numerous YouTube videos of failing/failed flywheels on DSG and manual tranny cars.



      Even if VW doesn't consider it a recall-worthy problem, it's hard to believe VW mechanics don't know about it and aren't aware of the symptoms.
      ____

      No 3,222, tornado red, Borla cat back, Haldex sport controller, S2T paddles, Velocity Sport CAI

    31. Member oldracer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 15th, 2005
      Location
      Oviedo, Florida
      Posts
      1,617
      Vehicles
      2008 DBM R32 # 3783, 2009 GLI
      04-28-2012 02:43 PM #31
      Fact : 7 out of 10 flywheel bolts sheared of after a dealer checked the car and claimed everything was normal.

      VW's biggest roadblock to success and atgaining #1 in the world is it's mostly shiity dealer network.....
      My dealer is exceptional, however, far from the norm for most people.

      I am a former Service manger and shopowner and treating customers well is th key to success.

      I have dealt with Shawn and he is a true enthusiast and VW lover, maybe not after this though.....
      He maintains his car exceptionally ell and deeply cares about keeping it pristine.......

      In my 50 years of fabricating, building cars from scratch, (Street Rods & racecars), none of the mods to Shawn's car would cause a defect like flywheel bolts back out and then shear off.
      It's a defect plain and simple - VW like other Mfrs don't want to spend the $$ or even admit it's their fault because with todays propensity to sue it would leave then exposed for every issue that ever happens.

      Some of you morons took an accusatory tone towards Shawn, as if he could cause defective flywheels bolts, without them ever being touched.
      When ignorant of the facts and apparently mechanical problems it's best to just not comment until you know the situation fully.

      I personally think VW bears some responsibility here and it would be a great public relations move to assist Shawn, their actions could solidify their customer's loyalty and do them world of good.

      My family bought a 1957 VW Kombi new as our first VW, We presently have 5 in the family and in 55 years our experience has been almost always positive, not a bad record.
      I have VCDS
      Old Geezer addicted to cars, bikes, racing and my Grandkids and The Dragon
      oldracer = used to race 911's and many other cars for 25 years, owned a race/fabrication shop for 11 years
      UM Combo tune, PSS Michelins, garage queen at his point

    32. Member VWNDAHS's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 20th, 2002
      Location
      San Diego
      Posts
      7,943
      Vehicles
      911 turbo, SQ5, beetle turbos, gti
      04-28-2012 03:22 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post

      I have dealt with Shawn and he is a true enthusiast and VW lover, maybe not after this though.....
      He maintains his car exceptionally ell and deeply cares about keeping it pristine.......

      In my 50 years of fabricating, building cars from scratch, (Street Rods & racecars), none of the mods to Shawn's car would cause a defect like flywheel bolts back out and then shear off.
      It's a defect plain and simple - VW like other Mfrs don't want to spend the $$ or even admit it's their fault because with todays propensity to sue it would leave then exposed for every issue that ever happens.

    33. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2009
      Location
      Orlando...for now
      Posts
      519
      Vehicles
      2008 VW R32
      04-28-2012 04:08 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by nobodylikesmilhouse View Post
      VW would only be liable through negligence or through malice.

      Not sure if that's the case here, but from this rather lengthy Google search it seems that they have a bit of a problem with their dual mass flywheels.

      There's even numerous YouTube videos of failing/failed flywheels on DSG and manual tranny cars.



      Even if VW doesn't consider it a recall-worthy problem, it's hard to believe VW mechanics don't know about it and aren't aware of the symptoms.
      Funny you should mention that because I read another thread right after I posted here with a FLYWHEEL problem. Now I hear of more...this is starting to make me wonder. My car will be out of warranty soon. I thinking I should check into the extended warranty.

    34. Member Sarpedon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2011
      Location
      Long Beach CA
      Posts
      154
      Vehicles
      '08 R32 112/5000
      04-28-2012 04:24 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
      Fact : 7 out of 10 flywheel bolts sheared of after a dealer checked the car and claimed everything was normal.

      VW's biggest roadblock to success and atgaining #1 in the world is it's mostly shiity dealer network.....
      My dealer is exceptional, however, far from the norm for most people.

      I am a former Service manger and shopowner and treating customers well is th key to success.

      I have dealt with Shawn and he is a true enthusiast and VW lover, maybe not after this though.....
      He maintains his car exceptionally ell and deeply cares about keeping it pristine.......
      No argument whatsoever with any of the above.

      Quote Originally Posted by oldracer
      Some of you morons took an accusatory tone towards Shawn, as if he could cause defective flywheels bolts, without them ever being touched.
      I don't think anyone said any such thing (at least I didn't).
      What I did say, based on what I've read in the different threads so far (summed up for the reading-comprehension impaired):

      1) Car has issues.
      2) Car is taken to dealer, dealer can't find anything wrong
      3) Beta notices the issue is still to some extent there even after blessing from dealer, doesn't take it to other mechanic/dealer/etc for a second opinion for whatever reason
      4) Hell breaks loose during trip

      I am not saying Beta did anything wrong or bad to his car. What I am saying is that from VW's perspective, he has a out-of-warranty car with modifications that (they could claim) could/would hinder the diagnostic process.
      I am *NOT* saying the mods did cause any issues or were the cause for the issue.
      I AM saying that a dealer will use this as an excuse for why they couldn't properly diagnose any issues, if needed.

      Quote Originally Posted by oldracer
      When ignorant of the facts and apparently mechanical problems it's best to just not comment until you know the situation fully.
      We were asked go and like/comment on the post on VW's FB page.
      Using this standard, why should anyone like/comment on the FB wall-post?

      Quote Originally Posted by oldracer
      I personally think VW bears some responsibility here and it would be a great public relations move to assist Shawn, their actions could solidify their customer's loyalty and do them world of good.
      Maybe the dealer should get some of the blame for not performing a more thorough check, sure, specially if they were negligent in doing a thorough check in any way. Maybe Beta should have taken the car to another dealer or a mechanic to have it checked again, since the problem was still there.
      Yes, maybe it would be good PR, but I don't think VW bears any responsibility. They haven't done anything wrong as far as I can tell from what I've read.

      It's a crappy situation, and I do hope it works out for Beta, but you can't expect a manufacturer to accept responsibility for products that are out-of-warranty or services that aren't provided directly by them.

    35. Member zevion's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Newport Beach, CA and Minneapolis, MN
      Posts
      1,110
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R
      04-28-2012 04:37 PM #35
      Reminds me of when the DSG mechatronic issue came up. Some people walked into their dealer and got a new mech no issue. Some walked in and were told everything was as normal, go away.

      I'm learning not to trust VW. I should check my flywheel bolts.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •