Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: MK5 GTI Headlight question

Vehicles
      2009 VW GTI TSI
      04-27-2012 06:07 PM #1
      Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows how i can turn on my inner headlights. The outter HID bulbs come on as running lights and high beams but the two bulbs that are closest to the middle, never come on.

Its like there is no use for them?

Thanks,
      GTI-M
      GTI Machine

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 Revo Ko4d Gti
      04-27-2012 06:53 PM #2
      those are the flash to pass lights and i could be completely wrong but i think in order to get those lights to come on you need to buy a euro switch and program it

Vehicles
      2009 VW GTI TSI
      04-27-2012 07:03 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave12147 View Post
      those are the flash to pass lights and i could be completely wrong but i think in order to get those lights to come on you need to buy a euro switch and program it
      Thanks Dave. I have been reading more and more and it seems like thats the case. Ill look into buying a Euro headlight switch- ECS has some I see on their website.

Thanks again!
      GTI Machine

04-27-2012 07:39 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIMachine View Post
      Thanks Dave. I have been reading more and more and it seems like thats the case. Ill look into buying a Euro headlight switch- ECS has some I see on their website.

Thanks again!
      Inner lights are the high beams/flash to pass (correct)

push the stalk for high beams (shutter opens) - Pull the stalk for flash to pass (inner bulbs) --- i might have this backwards haha i'll have to look again when i get in the car.

Vehicles
      2007 BMP GTI, 2002 S10 Crew cab
      04-27-2012 10:15 PM #5
      FTP on the inner bulbs only works with the headlight switch off. Euro or non euro. I have a euro switch in my GTI and that did not change the function of these lights. Lights on pull back or push forward stalk flaps go up and down. Headlight switch off push forward nothing pull back FTP and inner lights will come on.

There was something on here to change a setting to make them come on with the high beams when the headlights are switched on. I tried this with zero success so far. I would really like this feature so when i try to FTP people at night they can really get the darn point! It seems they ignore the HIDs.

Vehicles
      2013 CW Passat 08 APR tuned BMP GTI.... B4 Passat VR Wagon... MK3 2.9 Sold.... MK4 1.8t Sold
      04-28-2012 07:44 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by xk1llxy0urselfx View Post
      FTP on the inner bulbs only works with the headlight switch off. Euro or non euro. I have a euro switch in my GTI and that did not change the function of these lights. Lights on pull back or push forward stalk flaps go up and down. Headlight switch off push forward nothing pull back FTP and inner lights will come on.

There was something on here to change a setting to make them come on with the high beams when the headlights are switched on. I tried this with zero success so far. I would really like this feature so when i try to FTP people at night they can really get the darn point! It seems they ignore the HIDs.

You need a VAG and program it to the Great Britain setting. Then your FTP lights will come on with your high beams and you can also have your fogs on has well. You will enjoy it.
      I My MKV

I Root

InstaGram: euro_addiction

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 03:39 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by fatboyvw View Post
      You need a VAG and program it to the Great Britain setting. Then your FTP lights will come on with your high beams and you can also have your fogs on has well. You will enjoy it.
      Ah nice. In NJ we cant have the fogs on with the high beams? At least there was an issue before with a previous vehicle I had owned. Anyhow great britian, will try that setting next time!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 GLI 6sp; 2009 Jetta 2.5 5sp; 1997 Jetta 2.0 5sp
      04-28-2012 06:02 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by xk1llxy0urselfx View Post
      Ah nice. In NJ we cant have the fogs on with the high beams?
      Why in the world would you need to have the fog lights on with high beams??

And yes, you can enable the FTP lights as (additional) high beams, but you need VAG-COM coding.

And no, you don't need a Euro switch.
      Last edited by Marek K; 04-28-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 06:37 PM #9
      LOL I have no idea. I dont have any need for the fogs to be on with high beams. Fog lights are designed to go low and light up under the fog. High beams are high, its kinda silly and not practical in my opinion to have them all work at once. The only application i have for them to all stay on at once is in my S10. They function like fog lights but they are driving lights. When your off road, the driving lights help greatly with lighting up terrain in the dark so they are set to stay on all the time.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2008 b6 Passat 4-Motion
      04-28-2012 10:36 PM #10
      Actually, to enable Flash To Pass lights with high-beams changes must be made in two places.
      1. Instrument Cluster Control Module (J285)
      2. Vehicle Electrical System Controller (J519)

Instrument Cluster Control Module country setting must be non-US,
      GB will work, so will EU.

Instrument Cluster Control Module J285
      5th digit sets country, EU is set in the example below

You must specifically enable FTP with high beam in
      Vehicle Electrical System Controller J519 — Byte 17
      bit 1 to off to enable FTP with hi-beam (requires non-US instruments country setting),
      bit 5 off permits fogs with hi-beam

There are other side effects of the non-US instrument setting.

Good thing all HID equipped US market cars have hi-line MFD. After setting EU or UK instruments, the odometer and MFD (and Climatronic if equipped) will be set to metric units. MFD lets you set them back to US standard units.

---- side effects of instrument country change
      There are other things affected by the non-US instrument setting.
      Door open chime operation is changed (no key in ignition chime anymore - I like, ymmv).
      Seat belt chime operation is changed (MFD nag screen still there, but no chime until you hit 10 mph without seat belt fastened, and then it chimes forever until belt fastened, no time out).
      Single side parking light via turn signal stalk is enabled.
      FM RDS display is added to MFD.
      Factory Nav (MFD2 DVD, 2006-2008) completely disables nag screen
      Factory Nav (MFD2 DVD, 2006-2008) radio frequency divisions are adjusted, screws with AM pretty bad, FM not so much, sat not at all.
      Factory Nav (MFD2 DVD, 2006-2008) AM and FM presets are lost when the country is changed.
      There is no effect on Premium 7
      There is no effect on RNS-500 (2009+ factory Nav)

Country setting changes DRL interaction with a euro headlight switch set to the parking / city light position.
      With DRL enabled + euro switch in the city position +
      Country = US results in DRL ON
      Country = EU results in DRL OFF

Last edited by JetTurbo; 04-28-2012 at 10:41 PM.
      2102 Golf R, 2008 US b6 Passat 4-motion - sold 2006 US Mk V bmp GTI mt (230,000 miles/ 7 yrs)