Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: What do you use to clean and protect dashboard?

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Luxury
      04-27-2012 08:41 PM #1
      I hope this isn't one of those questions with 200 different answers but I need "protect" my dash with something like Armor All. Is there a good product you recommend?

Thanks!
      PaulQ

2010 Volkswagen CC Luxury, DSG Transmission, Technology & Appearance Packages
      ...formerly 2008 Touareg 2

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC R-line, 2012 GLI Autobahn
      04-27-2012 08:48 PM #2
      Paul i'm out here with you. All i've been using is a orange wipe, and then armor all wipe on the dash. Nothing super fancy. During the day make sure if your car is parked outside that you use a sunshade to reduce the exposure of the sun to the dash. Other than that i'm not too sure of what else you could do.
      2010 CC R-line. 5% tint, Euro Clear Corners,ST Coilovers, Whiteline Adjustable Endlinks, Led interior lights, BSH Race Intake, R8 Coilpacks, Hoen lights, BrakePerformance Rotors, EBC Red Pads
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn- BSH Race Intake,R8 coilpacks, Cree LED DRL, Hoen lights, ST Coilovers,AWE TOP, VMR V710 Wheels, Gloss Black Roof Wrap, GIAC Stage 2 coming soon!!

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Luxury
      04-27-2012 09:05 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by dj_cronic_metal View Post
      Paul i'm out here with you. All i've been using is a orange wipe, and then armor all wipe on the dash.
      Thanks... what is an orange wipe?
      PaulQ

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 09:08 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by PaulQ View Post
      Thanks... what is an orange wipe?
      Armor all has an orange cleaning wipe. I use that to get the dust off and clean and then the protectant afterwards. Sorry for the lack of clarity.
      2010 CC R-line. 5% tint, Euro Clear Corners,ST Coilovers, Whiteline Adjustable Endlinks, Led interior lights, BSH Race Intake, R8 Coilpacks, Hoen lights, BrakePerformance Rotors, EBC Red Pads
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn- BSH Race Intake,R8 coilpacks, Cree LED DRL, Hoen lights, ST Coilovers,AWE TOP, VMR V710 Wheels, Gloss Black Roof Wrap, GIAC Stage 2 coming soon!!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW CC-R
      04-27-2012 10:08 PM #5
      Damp micro fiber cloth.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 R-Line
      04-27-2012 10:15 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
      Damp micro fiber cloth.
      This. Maybe with a very mild soap.

A brand new interior doesn't look like someone set off a Vaseline bomb in there, why would someone bathe it in Armor All? It is an interior's instant death in my opinion.

Remember, when detailing a car, one it trying to make it look new, not detailed.

7. 04-27-2012 10:43 PM #7
      I use Armor All's multi-purpose wipes, been doing that for years. I would wipe followed by a dry microfiber towel.
      | Mark | 2011 CC R-Line DSG |

8. n00b
      Vehicles
      09 VW CC 4Motion
      04-28-2012 12:36 AM #8

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC and 2009 Eos
      04-28-2012 01:33 AM #9
      Paul, your question begs for many more questions before a proper answer, or answers, can be given to you.

Do you normally park in a garage at home? Is your vehicle in the sun all day while you are at work? Do you want your dash to be protected 24 hours a day, regardless of whether it is undercover or outside?

There few products that can accomplish everthing listed above unless you use the "Dash Mate".

It has been around, probably more years than you have been alive. It looks like crud and doesn't look very good after a couple years of sun fading.

The "greasy kid stuff" such as Armor All, etc., has been around for a very long time also. It definitely attracts dirt and dust. The jury is still out as to whether it really protects from the sun's rays over an extended period of time.

If you want something that protects your dash completely, but only if parked, and never goes bad over time, is a "Windshield Sunscreen". Here is the caviat. In most cases, it must be custom made, or else the sun will manage to get into the sides, top or bottom while parked, thusly not protecting the entire dash.

I was able to solve the latter problem by custom making my own windshield sunscreen. A picture of the one for my Eos is attached.

Sorry for the long rant but this is a somewhat complicated problem with many varied answers, depending on the specific needs.
      13 CC Sport Plus/K@N Air Filter/Complete LED Interior Lighting/18" Interlagos/Cooper tires/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Chrome Mirrors & Door Handles.
      09 Eos/Tech Package/RNS510/K&N Filter/Silver & Black Leather Seats/Sherwood Dash Kit/LED Interior Lighting/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Under Seat Drawer/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L Bluetooth/Dash Cubby/BackUp Cam

10. Member
      Vehicles
      03 A4 1.8TQM / 09 CC VR6 Sport
      04-28-2012 08:47 AM #10
      Clicky click Great stuff! Doesn't leave a shiny finish. Isn't greasy. Doesn't attract dust.

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Luxury
      04-28-2012 01:21 PM #11
      Wow... thanks for all the thoughts. To answer some of the questions, I do park in a garage at home and get partial coverage at work. I usually use a sun shade that covers most of the window. I just noticed that the dash looked "dry" now on its two year anniversary hence the question. I am in Phoenix and the sun is brutal.
      PaulQ

12. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line; 1997 BMW M3; 1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
      04-28-2012 04:36 PM #12
      I have always used Lexol Vinylex on each of my cars. It works great and protects with a very mild shine. Also it does not leave a greasy finish and does not attract dust.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Saab 93 2.0T
      04-28-2012 09:42 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by CC RReflex View Post
      I have always used Lexol Vinylex on each of my cars. It works great and protects with a very mild shine. Also it does not leave a greasy finish and does not attract dust.
      I was just about to recommend the same thing. I have used it on my last 3 cars with great results

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

14. 04-28-2012 10:47 PM #14
      I've used 303 Aerospace Cleaner for years and it has never failed me. Works great on leather too.

Vehicles
      '06 GTI, '12 CC VR6
      04-29-2012 12:35 AM #15
      Do not use armorall, ever. Might as well rub grease all over your interior.
      Get yourself a car, drive it all alone...
      Get yourself a car, ride it on the wind.

lliilillililliill ¤ The Endless Pursuit ¤

Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      04-29-2012 10:03 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
      Damp micro fiber cloth.
      ^This with the VW cleaner. That stuff is the cats meow!

Daily | Weekend | Project

Vehicles
      2008 Passat VR6
      04-29-2012 11:54 AM #17
      Don't ever use Armor-all products.

A clean damp chamois is all you need to clean your dash. Protect? These dashes are made to last, we are not driving 1983 Fords.
      ================================================== ==================================
      2008 Candy White/Black Passat VR6 OEM+
      H&R Sport Springs, Custom Borla Muffler, R36 Lip Spoiler, Plasti-Dipped Front Grille, RNS-510 Retro, GLI MFSW, Makassar Wood Dash Trim w/ Telephone Pad, Euro Chrome Headlight Switch, Windows Switches, and Mirror Knob, Windows down/up VAG-COM.

Vehicles
      TDI Golf
      04-29-2012 07:10 PM #18
      303 aero space protectant is the Jam! I have used this for 8 years, non greasy and low shine 1 bottle will last a long time too. You can buy it at any boat place or online.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC and 2009 Eos
      04-30-2012 02:25 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by b6lear View Post
      Don't ever use Armor-all products.

A clean damp chamois is all you need to clean your dash. Protect? These dashes are made to last, we are not driving 1983 Fords.
      Or............mid seventies GM vehicles.

Couldn't agree with you more.

I use the same stuff I just happen to be cleaning the inside of the windshield with.............water.....Windex.....Stoner Invisible Glass.......etc, etc.

Interior vinyls have come a long way over the years.
      13 CC Sport Plus/K@N Air Filter/Complete LED Interior Lighting/18" Interlagos/Cooper tires/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Chrome Mirrors & Door Handles.
      09 Eos/Tech Package/RNS510/K&N Filter/Silver & Black Leather Seats/Sherwood Dash Kit/LED Interior Lighting/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Under Seat Drawer/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L Bluetooth/Dash Cubby/BackUp Cam

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CC R line, 61 Merc. 220b
      04-30-2012 10:42 AM #20
      when i bought my car, I also got the interior thingy where they guarantee your interior to look brand new for 5 years, or else they will replace/do all they can to make it look brand new.

they told me (i didnt even ask) that i should never use the armor all stuff on the interior, as it would cause more damage than good, and I should just stick with a damp cloth. so far so good!

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC and 2009 Eos
      04-30-2012 05:28 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Lucian1988 View Post
      when i bought my car, I also got the interior thingy where they guarantee your interior to look brand new for 5 years, or else they will replace/do all they can to make it look brand new.

they told me (i didnt even ask) that i should never use the armor all stuff on the interior, as it would cause more damage than good, and I should just stick with a damp cloth. so far so good!
      A damp cloth works just fine, with or without the "Thingy", what ever that is.

As Rick Ricardo used to say, "Pleez Esplayn"

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 06:17 PM #22
      Going to give the 303 aerospace protectant a try. Can someone recommend where to get it and where i can get the best price on it? I know people say boating stores, but considering i'm in the desert and i've never seen a boating supply place out here, i'm probably going to need to stick with internet suppliers.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      Mocha Anthracite Metallic 2010 CC Sport 2.0T 6MT (RIP), Reflex Silver 2010 CC Sport 2.0T 6MT
      04-30-2012 06:28 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by DavidPaul View Post
      A damp cloth works just fine, with or without the "Thingy", what ever that is.

As Rick Ricardo used to say, "Pleez Esplayn"
      I think he's talking about the "interior protection package" a lot of dealerships upsell at time of purchase.

24. n00b
      Vehicles
      2010 CC Lux
      04-30-2012 07:52 PM #24
      I bought my first bottle of 303 at a RV parts store in Prescott. Because I liked it so much, I ordered a gallon on line.
      It's great on everything; vinyl, leather ( I have a Lux), tires. Cleans, protects without the Armor All slickness and shine.

Vehicles
      TDI Golf
      04-30-2012 09:41 PM #25
      Yes 303 is Great on Tires and the Leatherette seats as well. I use other stuff for leather but you can use 303 on that as well.

AutoGeek.net is a Great site for all your detailing needs. If you google autogeek coupon you can usually find free shipping or 10% off promos as well.

26. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '09 VW CC Sport
      05-01-2012 09:40 AM #26
      I'm using Meguiar's Supreme Shine Protectant for dash, doors, etc on the interior.