Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: bank offering financial education for children ?

04-27-2012 08:04 PM #1
      saw a commercial for a bank offering free financial education for children not to long ago and the name of the bank seems to have slipped my mind ... anyone know the name ? thanks in advance

2. Member
      Vehicles
      22b STI, F10 M5
      04-28-2012 11:20 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by guap07 View Post
      saw a commercial for a bank offering free financial education for children not to long ago and the name of the bank seems to have slipped my mind ... anyone know the name ? thanks in advance
      Doubt this helps you, but almost every single FCU offers children banking nowadays. When I was a kid I was in the 'Moolah Money' program at my local FCU and they had a couple classes I took that taught me about savings, etc. They even have debit cards with $10 daily limits. Just check with your local credit unions, 99% of them offer such programs for kids

Vehicles
      '00 XJ, '08 N* SRX4 (hers), '70 Beetle (rusty and parked)
      04-29-2012 03:50 PM #3
      Fwiw, Dave Ramsey offers educational materials for kids as well; it's going to be biased the opposite direction from what any bank/CU offers. If kids are taught what he teaches from a young age, they'll be less likely to borrow money for things that can wait, they'll never live paycheck-to-paycheck, and they'll give generously to charitable causes. (I have yet to see anyone who can assemble a solid argument against doing the things he teaches...)

His publications, etc., aren't free, but then again, information from someone with a vested interest in creating a long-term relationship in which they provide services for pay (mortgages, car loans, etc.) in an amount that exceeds the amount they pay for the use of your money (savings accounts, CDs, etc.) is arguably not free either.

4. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      05-07-2012 01:01 PM #4
      Unless the bank teaches your kids how to start a business by borrowing then it's the same crapshoot that teaches kids to save money by opening little piggybank accts.

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      05-10-2012 07:25 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by blue70beetle View Post
      Fwiw, Dave Ramsey offers educational materials for kids as well; it's going to be biased the opposite direction from what any bank/CU offers. If kids are taught what he teaches from a young age, they'll be less likely to borrow money for things that can wait, they'll never live paycheck-to-paycheck, and they'll give generously to charitable causes. (I have yet to see anyone who can assemble a solid argument against doing the things he teaches...)

His publications, etc., aren't free, but then again, information from someone with a vested interest in creating a long-term relationship in which they provide services for pay (mortgages, car loans, etc.) in an amount that exceeds the amount they pay for the use of your money (savings accounts, CDs, etc.) is arguably not free either.
      What? I don't work for a cu or Dave Ramsey, but I'd imagine teaching any child about banking isn't about roping a child into buying a house and use XYZ cu's mortgage unit. What's with bad mouthing a bank/cu trying to teach a kid how to save?

Vehicles
      '05 Sequoia 4WD, '12 Odyssey EX-L
      05-22-2012 01:54 PM #6
      Here are some decent materials

http://www.handsonbanking.org/en/
      '05 Sequoia Limited 4WD
      '12 Odyssey EX-L
      History - '09 Odyssey EX-L, '02 A4 Avant 3.0Q, '01 UZJ100 LX470, '01.5 VW Passat wagon, '04 RX-8, '03 TJ Sport, '01 TJ Sport, '99 Miata, '00 Contour SVT, '97 GTI VR6, '95 YJ Wrangler, '97 XJ Cherokee Sport, '97 Integra GSR, '89 Civic Si, '93 YJ Wrangler, '87 Jetta GL