Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: bad shifting

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2000 VW Beetle GLX 1.8t automatic, 2005 Ford F-150 Super Duty 5.4 xlt
      04-27-2012 09:00 PM #1
      hey all, I have a 2000 beetle 1.8t with an auto trans. I just rebuilt the engine. I put it all back together and now the transmission is giving me problems. the linkage seems really loose on teh gear selector in the cab and i have to go down to 3 then back up to D to get it into drive. also while in drive it doesn't shift, just stays in 1st gear. Please help. It sat for like 5 years but I changed out all the fluid

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-17-2012 07:05 PM #2
      Can anyone help please?!?! This rebuild is a gift to my baby sister and she will be home from College soon

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2003/VW/1.8T Jetta 5sp Automatic
      05-17-2012 08:36 PM #3
      What type of transmission does your beetle has, is it a 5 speed tiptronic? do you know the code of the transmission, can you provide it?

If it sat for 5 years maybe the VB needs to be cleaned to say the least, I could be wrong.

Start by checking ATF level and scanning the TCM and post what you find.

Good Luck

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      05-18-2012 03:47 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by chip102 View Post
      hey all, I have a 2000 beetle 1.8t with an auto trans. I just rebuilt the engine. I put it all back together and now the transmission is giving me problems. the linkage seems really loose on teh gear selector in the cab and i have to go down to 3 then back up to D to get it into drive. also while in drive it doesn't shift, just stays in 1st gear. Please help. It sat for like 5 years but I changed out all the fluid

Have a helper move the shifter while you look at the cable where it connects on the top of the trans. Do you see any slop?
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-18-2012 05:10 PM #5
      I am going to check to see if its gunked up. But there is also slop cus the linkage connecter is twice the diameter of the pit in seats on. I just figured thats how it was, no matter how bizarre cus I could find no info on any retainer clip or bushing that was supposed to be there.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-30-2012 04:29 PM #6
      anyone know what part I am talking about??

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      05-30-2012 04:37 PM #7
      If you removed the trans during the engine swap or even removed the shifter cable for whatever reason you might have broken the end of the shifter cable. I've done this before. Just find someone who did a 5 speed swap and buy the "end" of the shifter cable. Or just head down to your local pick and pull and find an end. You take out the adjustment bolt and then take a clip off if I remember correctly.

you kinda have to figure out how to change the end but it is changeable. I did it just a few months ago when I broke one.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com