Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So I picked up this tasty nugget today...

Vehicles
      1981 Scirocco S, 1983 Scirocco 8v (RIP), 1968 Buick Skylark, Chevrolet Caprice Police Issue
      05-03-2012 10:13 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Rannoch View Post
      Does the car crank over?
      I found the problem, under the dash was a spaghetti mess of wiring all poorly taped together, so I did some investigating and unwrapped everything and found that an ignition wire ground was exposed and would bump against a red ignition wire, causing a short. So I freshly re wrapped it all and now no more problems! well, other that still having no marker lights...

Vehicles
      1981 Scirocco S, 1983 Scirocco 8v (RIP), 1968 Buick Skylark, Chevrolet Caprice Police Issue
      05-03-2012 10:15 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by scotttu View Post
      If you don't get the bulb thing figured out let me know and I'll go ph otograph mine.

I've been down all week with a sinus infection but I'll be back up tomorrow.

Nice find.
      That would be awesome, thanks!

3. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S 84 Jetta 83 Rabbit Pickup
      05-05-2012 04:32 PM #38
      I strongly suspect the plastic half of your ignition switch since I have experienced your symtoms before. But you will have to do some methodical testing of power and grounds at different points.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S 84 Jetta 83 Rabbit Pickup
      05-05-2012 04:45 PM #39
      If you know anyone who has a copy of the book "How to keep you Volkswagen Rabbit Alive" by Richard Sealey there are instructions in there on bypassing the switch temporarily while putting the key in ignition to keep it unlocked. Didn't see a copy of the book online anywhere though.

Vehicles
      05-08-2012 11:06 PM #40
      Ok so I haven't posted in a while, and to start off I want to apologize to everyone for not being able to stick to one subject, as soon as I ask the problem seems to sort itself out...

So here we go, this last weekend my car became much more enjoyable to look at! Picked up a Xenon front airdam from OorsciroccO (sorry, haven't gotten the chance to paint it Cosmic Silver yet ) And picked up a set of snowflakes with pretty nice tires! Total cost, 204 dollars and a six pack of Corona!

Pictures soon to come!

Vehicles
      1987 Scirocco 16V
      05-09-2012 08:03 PM #41
      did you check the hazard switch wiring yet?

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 02:55 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by SciroccoPowered View Post
      did you check the hazard switch wiring yet?
      First thing on my list to do tomorrow

So today I ran into some more troubles. Before the bad men take away my mk2, I've been swapping as many parts as I can. And my mk1 needed a fuel pump, as it was very audible (from what I've heard, an audible fuel pump is a bad fuel pump, except for race pumps) so I decided to swap them out. In the process, I found out they are very different in size... I wasn't able to fully install it tonight, as a couple hoses still need to be attached, but I did hook up the wires (loosely) and bumped the starter, and heard no fuel pump. So my question, will a mk2 fuel pump work on a mk1? I need to know soon, as my mk2 is leaving us for good on Friday I believe..

Vehicles
      84 Jetta GLI, 86 Scirocco 16v, 89 GTI
      05-10-2012 01:52 PM #43

Vehicles
      05-11-2012 02:38 AM #44
      Gotta love the fun stuff.. So this fuel pump which should have taken a half an hour tops has turned into a 3 day project. All of the nuts were very corroded, especially for one.. Which decided it wanted to round off.. Which is an accumulator hose we cut because we had a spare... So here's my question, will an s2's fuel line (from pump to engine bay) swap over to an s1? Yes, I do have to change my fuel lines, either that or I can re flare my existing corroded ones... Sighhh, the consequences of trying to have nice things...

Vehicles
      '89 Fox GLS, '89 Fox wagon, '73 914, '72 'vert.
      05-11-2012 11:56 AM #45
      Yes, this car is obviously going to be a money pit. You need to just send it to me and quit worrying your pretty lil' head over it.

Seriously, nice find, it'll be worth the effort to fix all the DAPO stuff. Stiff upper lip and all that.

Vehicles
      84 Jetta GLI, 86 Scirocco 16v, 89 GTI
      05-11-2012 12:50 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by VWsciroccoWV View Post
      Gotta love the fun stuff.. So this fuel pump which should have taken a half an hour tops has turned into a 3 day project. All of the nuts were very corroded, especially for one.. Which decided it wanted to round off.. Which is an accumulator hose we cut because we had a spare... So here's my question, will an s2's fuel line (from pump to engine bay) swap over to an s1? Yes, I do have to change my fuel lines, either that or I can re flare my existing corroded ones... Sighhh, the consequences of trying to have nice things...
      i have a scirocco 2 set here you can have if you need them. i don't know if its a direct swap though.

Vehicles
      1987 Scirocco 16V
      05-11-2012 09:34 PM #47
      if you aren't cleaning the tank in the process, install a carburetor clear style fuel filter inline before the fuel pump.

Vehicles
      05-12-2012 06:35 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by VWsEatRice View Post
      i have a scirocco 2 set here you can have if you need them. i don't know if its a direct swap though.
      Awesome! What condition and when are you available for pick up? Pm me.

Vehicles
      05-20-2012 01:53 PM #49
      Some pictures during my down time.

New snowflakes and Xenon airdam.

The night I got the rims and airdam on.

Just havin' some fun

And finally, my two babies.

And I'll keep you guys posted once the mk1's back up again.

Vehicles
      05-28-2012 05:12 PM #50
      Quick update, got a multimeter and found my Bentley book and both of my Haynes manuals! Going to attack my electrical once I get her running again which should be soon, just had to do some JB welding on my fuel lines, if this works then I'm back on the road!

Before...

After...
      Last edited by VWsciroccoWV; 05-28-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Vehicles
      81 S Cirrus
      05-29-2012 04:34 PM #51
      If that works, I will be a monkey's uncle. By working, I mean 20000 miles or more.

Probably have a better chance adding a mechanical splice an inch and a half in from the end.

Good luck.
      A Scirocco is a toy. If it is all perfect, you don't get to play - Doug T.

Essex/Warwickshire/Hertfordshire Uni, UK.
      Vehicles
      2001 Golf GTI 1.8T
      05-29-2012 05:41 PM #52
      never used jb.. but i would cut it flare it and use an extension! i know that way thay this jb stuff will never break down.. whats the chance of fuel breaking it down?

Vehicles
      05-29-2012 08:11 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by lewp91 View Post
      whats the chance of fuel breaking it down?
      JB claims it holds up against fuel nicely, and I read that a guy accidentally drilled a hole in his gas tank and put some on there and claimed it held up for the rest of the trucks life, 10 years I think it said.

Vehicles
      05-29-2012 08:12 PM #54
      Well, it worked.. A little bit.. Still leaking gas, now I can't get the thing off.. On the bright side I got to hear my car run again! So here's my plans, (prepare your faces for the eminent facepalms) being as I need my car running, today, I'm going to go pick up some jb weld stick putty and place it around the nut (where the gas is leaking). This is strictly a last ditch effort, and later on I will do a full fuel line replacement. But this is just an immediate fix, just to get me driving again.

No more driveway jobs for me after this fuel pump swap.

Essex/Warwickshire/Hertfordshire Uni, UK.
      Vehicles
      2001 Golf GTI 1.8T
      05-29-2012 08:41 PM #55
      gotta say i take it back about the jb weld stuff then if its cool with fuel!

Vehicles
      06-02-2012 11:37 PM #56
      It's alive! Finally, back on the road with a proper fix!

So here's the fix, I got rid of my JB weld mess and old, ruined accumulator line. What I did instead was get a new accumulator line and section of steel hose and attached the new line/hose to the old hose via rubber tubing and hose clamps. It made a very good seal and is double clamped at both ends and it holding great! Drove around for a solid hour with no problems (apart from my radiator cap failing )

Here's the fix. (kind of hard to see)

And just a couple shots for fun

Took the airdam off until I can get it painted.
      Last edited by VWsciroccoWV; 06-02-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Vehicles
      88 golf gt, 92 gti, 83 rocco
      06-03-2012 10:01 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by VWsciroccoWV View Post
      It's alive! Finally, back on the road with a proper fix!

So here's the fix, I got rid of my JB weld mess and old, ruined accumulator line. What I did instead was get a new accumulator line and section of steel hose and attached the new line/hose to the old hose via rubber tubing and hose clamps. It made a very good seal and is double clamped at both ends and it holding great! Drove around for a solid hour with no problems (apart from my radiator cap failing )

Here's the fix. (kind of hard to see)

And just a couple shots for fun

Took the airdam off until I can get it painted.
      i have a similar rigging back by my fuel accumulator. it seems to work fine. its been that way since ive had the car. (2 years as my daily)
      chevy runs derp.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12