Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 69

    Thread: Where have the CVT's gone?

    1. 04-28-2012 01:26 AM #1
      What cars still offer CVT's? My GF's 08 Sentra has one and it feels fine to drive; works well. I've driven a number of Calibers with them, and they work really well in there. It seems like OEM's are going to even more multi-geared automatics and abandoning CVT's; what has them? Am I nuts?
      22691
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

    2. Member adrew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 14th, 2003
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      13,562
      Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      04-28-2012 01:29 AM #2
      Subarus and Nissans have them, as do Honda hybrids and the Mitsubishi Lancer/Outlander Sport. Toyota hybrids aren't CVTs but act like one.

      I didn't care for the one I had in a Sentra rental -- but I've heard they're better in the V6 Nissans.
      Last edited by adrew; 04-28-2012 at 01:31 AM.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

    3. Member IridiumB6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 29th, 2010
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      2,408
      Vehicles
      2014 Rogue SL, 2008 XC90 3.2
      04-28-2012 01:30 AM #3
      I don't care, I'm incredibly glad they're gone...
      Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

    4. 04-28-2012 01:30 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      I don't care, I'm incredibly glad they're gone...
      Great
      22691
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

    5. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      66,864
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      04-28-2012 01:43 AM #5
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

    6. Member TangoRed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2005
      Location
      Cincinnati, OH
      Posts
      6,215
      Vehicles
      2010 BMW 528i
      04-28-2012 02:17 AM #6
      I haven't liked the CVT in any car I've driven outside of the Nissan Maxima. I feel as though the Nissan CVT + V6 is great in any application it's in.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

    7. Member IridiumB6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 29th, 2010
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      2,408
      Vehicles
      2014 Rogue SL, 2008 XC90 3.2
      04-28-2012 02:18 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      Great
      I don't mean to sound like an ass or anything, I've driven some Nissans with the CVT and I REALLY didn't like the fact that it felt like I was behind the wheel of a boat with that engine noise..
      Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

    8. 04-28-2012 02:32 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      I don't mean to sound like an ass or anything, I've driven some Nissans with the CVT and I REALLY didn't like the fact that it felt like I was behind the wheel of a boat with that engine noise..
      Does it help to think of it as a snowmobile?

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2006
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      7,707
      Vehicles
      M44/40F20CS65
      04-28-2012 02:59 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      I haven't liked the CVT in any car I've driven outside of the Nissan Maxima. I feel as though the Nissan CVT + V6 is great in any application it's in.
      I respect your opinion, but I beg to differ. The rental Maxima I had on an interstate drive was horrible with the CVT. It made what was otherwise a very good car feel horrible to drive.

    10. Member atomicalex's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2001
      Location
      Detroit and Düsseldorf
      Posts
      14,277
      Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      04-28-2012 06:04 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      What cars still suffer from CVT's?
      FTFY.

      The new 7-speed autos are so much better than the CVTs were that they took over.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, Den Mother - Team Emmett

    11. Member MCTB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 29th, 2005
      Location
      The Northern of Virginia
      Posts
      10,522
      Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '15 Outback Limited
      04-28-2012 06:08 AM #11
      Having spent some good time behind one in a new Subaru Outback, its a fine transmission that works very well with that motor. The problem with them is a combination of bad motor choice and people just not being used to them. I would rather a CVT than a 7 or an 8 speed automatic that has to constantly jump around. Ive read some reviews of multispeed automatics in the RR Sport and they say that, like many others, it just cannot figure out what gear to be in.

    12. Member zhenya00's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2003
      Location
      Ithaca, NY
      Posts
      6,916
      04-28-2012 06:50 AM #12
      I recently had a rental Legacy that had one that was pretty decent. It had no discernible negatives to me for normal driving, and even had paddle 'shifters'. If it was partially responsible for the 32mpg I saw, I'm good with that.
      1987 Mercedes 190E 16v Cosworth
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

    13. Member Ghost85's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 11th, 2006
      Location
      Wareham, MA
      Posts
      1,982
      Vehicles
      04 Chevy Blazer, 84 Chevy Monte Carlo
      04-28-2012 07:00 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by sethgood View Post
      Does it help to think of it as a snowmobile?
      At least some else knows where they originated.

      Actually I'd rather have CVT's as automatic transmissions, than the traditional gear or clutch pack driven ones. Less moving parts which equals less failure.
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

    14. Member VAB5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 20th, 2000
      Posts
      1,909
      Vehicles
      05 330ci ZHP conv; 15 BMW 328i; 12 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
      04-28-2012 07:20 AM #14
      Audi still uses the Multitronic CVT, and it works fine.

    15. 04-28-2012 08:59 AM #15
      I have a Freestyle with the CVT. I hate it.

    16. Senior Member Hostile's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 29th, 2002
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      31,029
      Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      04-28-2012 09:29 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by zhenya00 View Post
      I recently had a rental Legacy that had one that was pretty decent. It had no discernible negatives to me for normal driving, and even had paddle 'shifters'. If it was partially responsible for the 32mpg I saw, I'm good with that.
      It was.

      To be honest I like the CVT in our Outback, but it does take some getting used to and it doesn't drive like a traditional automatic.

    17. Senior Member Lwize's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2000
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      24,296
      Vehicles
      09 Rabbit
      04-28-2012 09:33 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      I respect your opinion, but I beg to differ. The rental Maxima I had on an interstate drive was horrible with the CVT. It made what was otherwise a very good car feel horrible to drive.
      Although I wouldn't say "horrible", I too didn't like the Maxima CVT rental I had a few years ago.
      The lack of gear changes is just unnatural sounding behind the wheel.
      It feels like the transmission is in a constant state of slipping.
      :gift:

    18. Member 01tj's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2005
      Location
      WV
      Posts
      4,816
      Vehicles
      12 Ecoboosted Flex, 11 6-speed quad cab Frontier, recently sold02 330i, 09 Flex, 01 Wrangler
      04-28-2012 09:36 AM #18
      We had a Freestyle with a CVT before our Flex and I absolutely hated it. My wife also hated it enough to trade for the Flex so I guess in a way I'm glade it had a CVT. The only thing worse than driving a vehicle without a clutch pedal is driving one with a CVT IMO

    19. Member Toaster29's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2000
      Location
      Birmingham, Al
      Posts
      4,826
      Vehicles
      997TT, F80 M3
      04-28-2012 09:48 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Ghost85 View Post
      At least some else knows where they originated.

      Actually I'd rather have CVT's as automatic transmissions, than the traditional gear or clutch pack driven ones. Less moving parts which equals less failure.
      Reliability on CVTs across the market has been significantly worse than any other transmission type. Just because there are less parts does not mean less failure, especially when you are relying on a steel belt being gripped by the sides by two "pulleys" of changing diameter to transfer up to 280 hp.
      '07 997.1 TT 6MT: Arctic Silver / Sea Blue. AWE exhaust, PTF custom 93/E85, BBS CH-R in widebody fitment, 5.9 60-130 E85, platform record
      '15 F80 M3 6MT: Alpine White / Sakhir: Exec pkg, LEDs, carbon roof, Harman Kardon, black 19s, etc
      Past: 300 hp B5 A4, 500 hp Evo 8, 2 450 hp E92 335s, 520hp C6 Z06, and a 750 hp CBA GT-R

    20. Member eweu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 22nd, 2001
      Location
      Silicon Valley, CA
      Posts
      2,533
      Vehicles
      2008 Audi TT VR6, 2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI, 2002 Ford F-250 SuperCrew V10, 2001 Audi A4 1.8TQM
      04-28-2012 10:23 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by VAB5 View Post
      Audi still uses the Multitronic CVT, and it works fine.
      Really? You like it? I think it is one of the worst transmissions I've ever used. It has a mind of its own. Do not want.

    21. 04-28-2012 10:51 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by eweu View Post
      Really? You like it? I think it is one of the worst transmissions I've ever used. It has a mind of its own. Do not want.

      All auto's have a mind of their own, that's kind of the point.

    22. Member VeeDubDriver's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 1st, 2001
      Location
      Boynton Beach, FL
      Posts
      9,837
      Vehicles
      '14 Audi S4 / '13 Infiniti G37
      04-28-2012 10:58 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      What cars still offer CVT's? My GF's 08 Sentra has one and it feels fine to drive; works well. I've driven a number of Calibers with them, and they work really well in there. It seems like OEM's are going to even more multi-geared automatics and abandoning CVT's; what has them? Am I nuts?
      Nissan, Subaru and Audi seem to embrace them vs other OE's. I have extensive experience with Nissan's and I prefer it to a traditional automatic.

    23. Banned Fritz27's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2003
      Location
      Brickell
      Posts
      26,435
      Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      04-28-2012 11:45 AM #23
      FWD Nissans
      Real hybrids

      Nissan is the only company that can make a normal car with a CVT not seem like a POS. Everyone else seems to prefer 6+speed autos or DSGs.

    24. Member randy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 18th, 1999
      Location
      The Orange Curtain- CA
      Posts
      4,449
      04-28-2012 11:54 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubDriver View Post
      Nissan, Subaru and Audi seem to embrace them vs other OE's. I have extensive experience with Nissan's and I prefer it to a traditional automatic.
      Which Audi models have CVT?

    25. Member VeeDubDriver's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 1st, 2001
      Location
      Boynton Beach, FL
      Posts
      9,837
      Vehicles
      '14 Audi S4 / '13 Infiniti G37
      04-28-2012 11:56 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by randy View Post
      Which Audi models have CVT?
      Any with FWD.

    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •