VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

g60 question/turbo

2K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  turtledub 
#1 ·
hey guys so i bought a 1990 corrado g60 a couple of months ago. when i picked it up it was beat to ****, and the person i got it from didnt know anything about it. but it was cheap i couldnt say no. so i cleaned it up fixed all the motor problems and so on. finally when i got it running right my supercharger blew :banghead:. anyways i rebuilt it and got it running again. during the rebuilt i noticed it has a 68mm pully, im pretty sure it has a cam(ill find out when i rip the head off) and a bunch of tectonics stickers. so im guessing its a stage 2 or 3. well i finally got tired of the supercharger and decided i was going to go turbo. i have almost everything i need (turbo, manifold, piping, ext). ive decided im going to run a turbonetics t3t4 that i had lying around ;).

my question:
is how can i tell what stage my car is, like is there a number on the chip, is there a number on the fuel pressure regulator?if so what fuel pressure regulator should i get?
what kinda psi could i run on a stage 2, or even stock setup?(mostly stock)
what belt should i get running with ac and without the supercharger?
how do i check the head bolts to see if they need replacing?
im not looking for an outrageous built im just looking for something reliable mostly stock as possible. all i want is a fun and safe daily driver. i already have a race car (84 gti aba swap turbo :D) i just want a little out of my daily :p

thanks any help will be appreciated.

See less See more
#8 ·
pg turbo is a pain in the ass to work on. after stripping a few crank keyways I still stuck with it. Finally after cracking piston 4 I finally got rid of the counterflow and built up an ABA. Much happier, although I liked the way my stock g60 was when it was a healthy motor. It was my daily driver through highschool and beyond...

#9 ·
I don't mean to sound like a dick or anything but I have like 3 g60 motors and 4 aba Im not trying to beat the crap out of it or anything I just want to go turbo mainly cuz of the maintenance . I think the supercharger on the g60 is a horrible piece of crap. It makes no power unless u bore it out and spend thousands of dollars on it and also an after market supercharger is out of the question. The maintenance on the oem supercharger is rediculous you have to spend hundreds of dollars every so often to rebuild the POS. As I said I have many motors in my despence so I'm not to worried I plan on keeping the car for ever so eventually it will be 20v turbo on a mega squirt. The reason I am asking for advice is because I never personally turboed one of these motors. I'm 100% sure it's more then possible and everyone says its in convinent but how convinent is it to rebuild ur supercharged every 20k. So you guys can either help me with tips and expirience on this or you can try to talk. Me out of it but it's not going to work my mind is made up. Thanks for any further help

#12 ·
... The reason I am asking for advice is because I never personally turboed one of these motors.
^^ :screwy:
And maybe some people who did (turbo'd a G60) already tried to told you politetly that a PG turbo is not that great but do you want to listen?.... :confused:

I'm out, good luck man :)

#14 ·
when I first turbo'd my pg it was great. I really loved it and it pulled hard. there is no harm done in turboing it, its quite nice. my problem was the crank keyways wouldnt stay put. I think the sudden boost was too harsh on them or I had bad luck. who knows.

I used a standard t3 and external wastegate. then that turbo went to **** and I threw on a t3/t4 and I had to do some grinding. I actually had to bolt the head on with the turbo and intake mounted it was hard to get back there. I had made special cut allens which took hours to get one bolt off.

Like I said,, I blew up cyl 4 and there was no way I was going to 'work' on that setup anymore, it wasnt worth the trouble...

#21 ·
#22 ·
You can run the OEM intercooler. It is not very efficent. A front mount or an upgraded side mount might be a better alternative. You can use the boost tube that goes from the cooler to your intake manifold. You will need to have a new tube from the turbo to the cooler. What are you doing for your boost pressure relief? BOV? I did mine by taking the boost return hose from the bottom of the throttle body and putting in an elbow going to the BOV. I have this peice for sale with the elbow I used. You can see a pic of it there.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5664548-FS-Turbo-XS-Blow-off-valve
That BOV is the right diameter to fit into the hose and be secured with a clamp. You will not have to weld anything to your existing pipes and thus keeping the sensors and everything else in their stock location.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.