Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Aprilia Scooter Info aka tell me what I bought

Vehicles
      2012 Subaru WRX, 2009 Aprilia SC125
      04-28-2012 03:22 PM #1
      I was in the market for a new car, but after some number crunching, ended up deciding a scooter for my daily commute would be a better idea. So I went to a local dealer and found a "new" 2009 Aprilia Sport City 125, with 1 mile on it, for essentially half off, so i pulled the trigger and bought it. I wanted a yamaha zuma 125, but out the door this saved me close to $2500-$3000, and I can appreciate the novelty of it being an Aprilia.

Aside from the basic info on the Aprilia website I don't know much about it, and there isn't much available online.

Does anyone have any info on these, if theres any sort of aftermarket, etc?

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      04-28-2012 03:49 PM #2
      I know nothing about your scoot, but it blows my mind that there are scooters nearly as expensive as motorcycles out there.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

3. 04-28-2012 05:27 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      I know nothing about your scoot, but it blows my mind that there are scooters nearly as expensive as motorcycles out there.
      there are scooters that are more expensive then some motorcycles. there are also scooters that are faster then some motorcycles.

4. 04-29-2012 07:33 AM #4
      I don't know much about them but cool choice. My commute is a little long for a scooter but if I lived within 10 miles or so I would definately do the scooter thing.

Vehicles
      AWD Wagon-ish thing
      04-29-2012 09:10 AM #5
      Go to apriliaforum.com and start nosing around there. All kinds of info about all Aprilia motorcycles and scooters. Also, the forum sponsor/owner is AF1 Racing...without a doubt the leading Aprilia source in the US.

I've ordered a ton of parts for my Dorsoduro through AF1, and I'm buying a Moto Guzzi through them as well. Great people to deal with.

And I'll add this too...sweet looking scooter! I've had two scooters in the past, and yours looks great!
      soldierguy

AWD wagon-ish thing

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 11:02 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
      I don't know much about them but cool choice. My commute is a little long for a scooter but if I lived within 10 miles or so I would definately do the scooter thing.
      Thanks, I commute 22 miles each way mostly flat, and it does fine. I actually save 10 minutes compared to driving and per the "road trip" app on my phone costing me 1/9 the price of driving my s2000

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 11:04 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
      Go to apriliaforum.com and start nosing around there. All kinds of info about all Aprilia motorcycles and scooters. Also, the forum sponsor/owner is AF1 Racing...without a doubt the leading Aprilia source in the US.

I've ordered a ton of parts for my Dorsoduro through AF1, and I'm buying a Moto Guzzi through them as well. Great people to deal with.

And I'll add this too...sweet looking scooter! I've had two scooters in the past, and yours looks great!
      Thanks for the info! How has the reliability been on yours? I was worried buying an Italian scooter at first but the salesman assured me it was good. And considering I was willing to pay twice as much for a Yamaha I trusted him

Vehicles
      AWD Wagon-ish thing
      04-29-2012 12:07 PM #8
      I haven't had anything go wrong on my Dorsoduro (yet). But I also haven't had it for very long. It's kind of an apples-to-oranges comparison...125cc single-cylinder air-cooled CVT scooter to a 750 v-twin water-cooled 6-speed motorcycle. Probably very few if any parts are shared between the two.

I have heard of sensors failing on Apes, and digital dashes going temporarily blank if they get wet, and there's someone here on the boards that had an engine failure. But again, that's all for the Dorsoduro/Shiver (mechanically & electrically almost identical).

I'd ride it, keep it maintained, and have fun with it. And prowl around the AF1 scooter forums...that'll probably be your best source for info on it.

All this scooter talk has me wanting one again!
      soldierguy

AWD wagon-ish thing