Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Is anybody regularly using a scissorlift on their R?

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 :: 2000 MBZ ML55 AMG :: 2006 Mini Cooper S :: 2003 Aprilia Atlantic 500 :: Yam. Morphous
      04-28-2012 03:55 PM #1
      I was following "Frank The Car Guy"s sig link to his smugmug account:
      http://amoroso.smugmug.com/Cars/Oper...0790&k=8RHdRKJ

...when I had one of those Steve Martin moments:
      "What the hell *is* that!?"
      "How'd that dang thing get there!?"

So I googled scissor lift, and came up with this review:
      http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-scissor-lift/

So, anybody here using one? Is it a godsend? Or does it inevitably obscure whatever you want to work on?
      Last edited by Mr_Peach; 04-28-2012 at 03:57 PM.
      "If the car feels like it's on rails, you are probably driving too slowly." - Ross Bentley, Ultimate Speed Secrets

Vehicles
      2008 CW R32, 2003 1.8T GTI, 1974 2002 tii
      04-28-2012 05:20 PM #2
      Racing Brake has one that I used to put rotors on my MKIV GTI. It worked decent for brakes having all four corners off the ground.
      Rigi Cola.

"The VR6 was an orchestra of well-tuned cylindrical delights." - jalopnik.com

Vehicles
      08 .:R32 DBP, 01 Jetta GLS GB
      04-28-2012 10:24 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Peach View Post
      I was following "Frank The Car Guy"s sig link to his smugmug account:
      http://amoroso.smugmug.com/Cars/Oper...0790&k=8RHdRKJ

...when I had one of those Steve Martin moments:
      "What the hell *is* that!?"
      "How'd that dang thing get there!?"

So I googled scissor lift, and came up with this review:
      http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-scissor-lift/

So, anybody here using one? Is it a godsend? Or does it inevitably obscure whatever you want to work on?
      "hey you! Get the heck away from that! I dont know what the heck that is!"

Looks unstable left to right, like i wouldnt trust it. Looks like it would be in the way for exhaust work or abnything in the center .
      Last edited by Ripdubski; 04-28-2012 at 10:27 PM.
      Thx!
      Ripdubski
      08 .:R32 DBP, 01 Jetta GLS 2.Slow AutoTragic GB
      Flickr

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      MKV R32 #4565
      04-28-2012 11:52 PM #4
      Funny you should ask...

This was today. My friends and I (mostly my friends) installed the HPA hockey puck and replacement subframe bolts. It was our first time using a scissor lift but it definitely made the job easier. I wish it would have gone a couple of feet higher but everything we needed to get to under the car was easily accessible. but as Ripdubski said above anything that's close to the center of the car will be blocked by the lift arms. Our only problem is we accidently bent one of the plastic underbody piece a bit. You just have to be REALLY careful not the touch those side skirts.

Vehicles
      2008 TR .:R32
      04-29-2012 12:09 AM #5
      I love these, they are perfect for the average joe like me. They lift the car a couple of feet, which is a lot better then jack stands!

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Lotus Elise, 2008 VW R32, 2013 Audi A3
      04-29-2012 07:29 AM #6
      I like the idea of flush mounting this...

http://www.mohawklifts.com/wp/consum...ifts/usl-6000/

I think you'd just need to be careful that the vehicle's center of gravity stays within the base of the scissor points.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      MKV R32
      04-29-2012 09:58 AM #7
      this will absolutely kill you... be careful. there are plenty of stories about these things failing or falling. still maintain proper safety precautions and buy a **** ton of jackstands to at least save it from crushing you if you are silly enough to get under the car.

other than that these are a cheap way to get the car high off the ground.

Vehicles
      MkV DBP R32 #462
      04-30-2012 04:18 PM #8
      I always wanted to go this route:

http://www.gesusa.com/Dannmar-MaxJax...-p/1375659.htm

Then again, it is likely much more expensive.
      Quote Originally Posted by dubnick32 View Post
      That guy shouldn't own an R32. I bet he goes out dancing at least twice a week.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      UG MkV R32; 4.2 Q7 Daytona Grey
      04-30-2012 04:41 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by skaven-R32 View Post

I've seen them for around $2200-2300 shipped. Pricey, but I couldn't live with a scissor lift on my garage floor all of the time. I would save my pennies and go this route. Compared to scissor designs, it looks safer, provides better access, and rolls away when not in use.

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      04-30-2012 05:03 PM #10
      group buy on the 2 post lift!!
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '08 R32
      04-30-2012 05:06 PM #11
      I really don't think I'd trust my life to anything sold by Harbor Freight.

Vehicles
      Mk5 3.2 / Mk5 1.9
      04-30-2012 05:46 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by rainmn View Post
      I really don't think I'd trust my life to anything sold by Harbor Freight.

insert cheap credibility statement here...

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 :: 2000 MBZ ML55 AMG :: 2006 Mini Cooper S :: 2003 Aprilia Atlantic 500 :: Yam. Morphous
      04-30-2012 06:00 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by ryeboy View Post
      I've seen them for around $2200-2300 shipped. Pricey, but I couldn't live with a scissor lift on my garage floor all of the time. I would save my pennies and go this route. Compared to scissor designs, it looks safer, provides better access, and rolls away when not in use.
      Yeah, I was trying to figure out the "How do you live with it?" aspects. I don't plan on having a dedicated service bay.

It looks like it's possible with lumber to just leave the scissor jack down and park on top of it daily.

The "roll away" part of a two post seems like it's actually pretty involved. Maybe if I could install one in such a way that I could still open my doors with it installed, then just ease car forward for lifting....
      "If the car feels like it's on rails, you are probably driving too slowly." - Ross Bentley, Ultimate Speed Secrets

Vehicles
      04 VW R32 TRed, 05 Jetta Wagon Blk/Orange
      04-30-2012 07:01 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by abeR View Post
      group buy on the 2 post lift!!
      I'd love one of these 2 post lifts, although the Mohawk looks nice but for $6k DAMN!

Vehicles
      1984 SVO Mustang, 1997 Millenia S, 2006 X3, 2008 R32, 2010 Golf TDI
      04-30-2012 09:44 PM #15
      Scissors lifts have their place and their followers. Many are safe and convenient. Just not for me and my garage.

I feel safe and capable with my AC Hydraulics DK-20Q jack and Esco Jackstands (next door neighbor has two more and we share.)

If and when I move, I will probably have Steve from http://ultimategarage.com help me design a garage with a lift of some sort. No, I won't have a bat cave turn around platter, but it would be nice.

Not affiliated with him at all, but I did get the jack and stands from him. Esco jackstands are available at a lower price than in the recent past, if you need safe jackstands (he designed the flat top.)
      http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/p...afqc665m90fuv6
      Candy White 2008 .:R32 #532 and Shark Blue 2010 Golf TDI
      .:R you in? I'm in. You .:R what you drive.
      Seduced by the Da.:Rk side I am.
      The Golf R brings balance to the FoRce.

Vehicles
      08 .:R32 DBP, 01 Jetta GLS GB
      04-30-2012 10:13 PM #16

Looks thousands of times safer.
      Thx!
      Ripdubski
      08 .:R32 DBP, 01 Jetta GLS 2.Slow AutoTragic GB
      Flickr

17. Member
      Vehicles
      UG MkV R32; 4.2 Q7 Daytona Grey
      05-01-2012 11:11 AM #17
      Yeah, I was trying to figure out the "How do you live with it?" aspects. I don't plan on having a dedicated service bay.

It looks like it's possible with lumber to just leave the scissor jack down and park on top of it daily.

The "roll away" part of a two post seems like it's actually pretty involved. Maybe if I could install one in such a way that I could still open my doors with it installed, then just ease car forward for lifting....
      My plan (if I were to get the 2 post lift) was to leave the passenger side post in place, leaving just a single post to move.

Vehicles
      2007 focus SE, 65 vette sting ray, 00' S class
      05-02-2012 02:36 PM #18
      My plan (if I were to get the 2 post lift) was to leave the passenger side post in place, leaving just a single post to move.
      that would probably work out well.

hey OP, do you have a specific lift in mind or were you just wondering about scissor lifts?

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 02:58 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by torquepower85 View Post
      that would probably work out well.

hey OP, do you have a specific lift in mind or were you just wondering about scissor lifts?
      Nah, I was just unfamiliar with the concept. I wanted some input from folks on how useful they were. Then I can decide for myself if they're worth $X,000 to me or not.

I'm currently using a so-so Costco-sourced jack (happens to match the DBP R pretty well, setting off another round of, "How much did *that* cost?" spousal bingo) and the same cheezy stamped jackstands I've had for ages. I hardly ever use the jackstands, as the jack mostly gets used for tire/wheel/brake work, and I just let the jack carry it without putting my body under the car.

Most of my under-car work is done with the R on Rhino ramps that I bought at Schucks. The ramps seem to work fine, but they're a little short for mid-body work like the exhaust clamp or the HPA puck. Or I'm too "tall", laterally speaking. Take your pick.

Vehicles
      MkV DBP R32 #462
      05-02-2012 04:05 PM #20
      My understanding is it isn't that bad. The controls are already on a roll-around setup. The posts are just 4 bolts to undo and it has two wheels to help you move it around.

I could swing the price, but my concern is max height in my garage. I don't think I could realistically get it off the ground that far.
      Quote Originally Posted by dubnick32 View Post
      That guy shouldn't own an R32. I bet he goes out dancing at least twice a week.

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 05:07 PM #21
      I could swing the price, but my concern is max height in my garage. I don't think I could realistically get it off the ground that far.
      Well, that's another thing that's sort of hard to say until you've played with one, I guess.

I haven't got a tape out and played around yet, but I've got about 9' ceilings in there, with the garage door rails over 7' off the floor. I figure with the hood of the car on the garage door end, I should be able to hoist the car high enough to at least use something like a low wheeled stool under the car.

That wouldn't be as great as a "stand up" lift or grease pit, but I would think it would still be pretty advantageous.

Vehicles
      2007 focus SE, 65 vette sting ray, 00' S class
      05-02-2012 05:33 PM #22
      Well, that's another thing that's sort of hard to say until you've played with one, I guess.

I haven't got a tape out and played around yet, but I've got about 9' ceilings in there, with the garage door rails over 7' off the floor. I figure with the hood of the car on the garage door end, I should be able to hoist the car high enough to at least use something like a low wheeled stool under the car.

That wouldn't be as great as a "stand up" lift or grease pit, but I would think it would still be pretty advantageous.
      anything beats being on your back with the car 1' above you. I think scissor lifts are a great alternative, and the MaxJax is pretty much the best addition you can get to your garage if you have <9' ceiling.

but full size lifts are out of the question for most of us. if your garage motor is in the way i believe there's a wall mounted motor http://www.liftmaster.com/LMCV2/page....aspx?famid=53

but the rails being in the way is another problem entirely. if anyone has any solutions to that i'd love to hear em.