VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you recycle?

Vehicles
      2004.5 GLI
      04-28-2012 11:46 PM #36
      As much as I can.
      Add me on FB and follow me on Instagram! | #TPG | #FLOSSfilthy | #V2LAB |

Always looking for cars in the NC/VA area for feature shoots! PM me!

Vehicles
      a '98 [on life support] and a '07
      04-29-2012 01:17 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by pentaxshooter View Post
      As much as I can.
      Yep. I really try to recycle as much as I can. Stuff like plastic bags are hard on the recycling sorting machines but you can bring them (and some other tough to recycle things) to New Seasons stores here and drop them off in different bins.

Beer & soda cans go back for deposit. Tough sometimes to time your visit to avoid the Mexicans or the homeless dudes with 3 black bags of cans . Oh well.
      Where is Kyron ??? http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
      Support our troops, bless the fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      Yes, there is a high chance that the tractor trailer was the one going 160MPH, not the Porsche GT2 RS.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 Caliber SRT4, 1989 Mazda B2200, 2010 RAV4
      04-29-2012 02:09 AM #38
      We easily recycle more than we throw away. Probably 2-3 times more.

I keep the cans for myself and sell them for scrap. Scrap aluminum isn't worth much these days but it's usually 15 bucks the wife doesn't know about.

Vehicles
      '07 Mini Cooper S, '91 318is Frankenstien With a built eta swap.
      04-29-2012 02:17 AM #39
      Always. One bin for trash, one for recyclables.

Except during undergrad, because the city didn't do it.
      Last edited by Robstr; 04-29-2012 at 02:21 AM.
      All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      04-29-2012 03:51 AM #40
      We're forced too...

They make the trash bin so small and only pick it up every two weeks you pretty much have to recycle.

We have:

General garbage
      Compost
      Paper
      Other stuff like plastics

I also take glass to a bin not to far from the house and return bottles (glass and plastic) for the deposit.

04-29-2012 05:37 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      That's the thing with you NWers. You get big recycle bins and they make it easy on you. We checked with numerous trash companies and we get these 5 gallon baskets that don't hold crap.

It's weird, you'd think CO would be all over this.
      That is odd, anymore. I use the old 15gallon bin as a temporary bin right outside the garagte door before dumping it into the big bin outside. Just as big as the trashcan, but they only pickup every other week.

04-29-2012 05:41 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by 09vdubgti View Post
      Wait, some of you pay for garbage removal?
      You're paying one way or the other unless you don't pay your taxes. Here they call it a "fee". Yeah, okay...

8. 04-29-2012 10:07 AM #43
      We have a 96 gallon recycling container and a 21 gallon trash container.
      We rarely fill the trash up but even with taking out 2 liters and other useful containers(gf is a sci teacher) we over fill the recycling.

Vehicles
      metropass
      04-29-2012 01:12 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by 09vdubgti View Post
      Wait, some of you pay for garbage removal?
      Unless you take it to the dump yourself, you are paying for garbage removal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Property_tax

10. 04-29-2012 01:20 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by O_o View Post

My property taxes don't cover trash service. I pay $67.50 every 3 months to an independent contractor to pick up my trash, and I live in town.

Vehicles
      2003 Ford Focus 2.3, 2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2014 Fiesta SE 1.0T
      04-29-2012 01:27 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      My property taxes don't cover trash service. I pay $67.50 every 3 months to an independent contractor to pick up my trash, and I live in town.
      Which makes me feel like I'm getting ripped off.

$31 a month, and I'm a single person making 1 person amounts of trash.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      that really comes down to a safety issue too. i mean if you do ANY kind of development, even the most basic stuff, you should at least be closed toe shoe.
      Quote Originally Posted by z0d
      You can't drop a SQL table on your foot.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      04-29-2012 01:31 PM #47
      Yeah. We have a huge Ikea shopping bag that we fill with our recyclables then take those to the big recycle thing in our complex every week or so.

Vehicles
      04 Toyota Tacoma/98 Subaru Legacy
      04-29-2012 01:40 PM #48
      Yep. The last place I lived we paid a fee every few months for garbage. The town I am in now includes it in city taxes.

I recycle everything I can. I save non-twist off beer bottles for refilling with home brew. Unfortunately my room mate that has trash and recycle duty is lazy as **** and sometimes forgets to take both out for a week, sometimes more, at a time. He is also wasteful so the garbage fills up fast.

Vehicles
      6 Tap Kegerator
      04-29-2012 02:29 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by White Jetta View Post
      I'm a recycling Nazi, and I'm always yelling at my wife and kids about it.
      Same here!
      It is crazy what Waste Management has done to me!
      I cringe when I see someone put a can into the garbage can!

We have 1 20 gallon can for garbage, 1 96 gallon cart for recyclables and 1 96 gallon cart for yard/food waste. With the yard/food waste cart we are able to chuck most of our kitchen waste into it so we barely have any garbage. I can go close to 2 months without putting the garbage can out!

Our WM drivers are awesome and even put my cans/carts back up next to the house after they empty them!
      I really wish everyone would update their location in their profile!

Someone buy my car already!!

Always looking for free firewood to feed my hungry wood stove!

Vehicles
      (OoO)
      04-29-2012 02:46 PM #50
      People pick metal stuff out of my trash bins.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Focus ST and lots of bicycles
      04-29-2012 03:52 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Oh and our recycling is single stream, all in one bin. They take almost all plastics too- if it has a triangle it for in.
      We recycle, but it is free. Also all in one bin.
      I guess I still would, if we had to pay, just never had to think about it.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      04-29-2012 04:24 PM #52
      I recycle everything I possibly can. I keep a ~10gallon bucket in my room, fill it up with crushed cans (I'm a soda fiend) and plastic bottles, plus old school papers and magazines and such, then it all gets dumped into a duffel and taken to university with me. Quick stop at the recycling center on campus and I have an empty bag, come back again in a week.

Really wish that our local WM contractors or the city (though we're outside city limits) would offer the three-can solution: Organic, recycling and garbage. We'd rarely need the garbage picked up.

The university has been steadily improving its half-assed attempt to promote recycling on campus. Four years ago, it was next to impossible to find a recycle bin, but the signs asking you to recycle and trash bins were EVERYWHERE.

Now, virtually every hallway in the class buildings has a set of four identically sized bins: Paper, Plastic, Aluminum in blue and a black "trash" bin. Some high traffic hallways have two or three sets spaced along the length. They've gone a LONG way toward making it as easy to throw something in the recycle bins as it is to throw it in a trash can; around that same time they also stopped putting small individual trash cans in classrooms, so if you want to throw something away you're going to the same place as the recycle bins anyway.

Some of this I know is driven by economics; the university has to pay to get rid of garbage but gets paid for recyclables. Removing the trash cans from classrooms encourages recycling (by equalizing access) and also cuts down on the amount of work the janitorial staff has to do (fewer cans to empty) allowing them to reduce the staff by a small percentage. There is talk of a program next year to roll out organic waste bins in the dining halls and cafeterias on campus to try further cutting down on the actual garbage generated; our agricultural department wants to set up a hot-compost setup and a digester for ag students to get experience with each. They're also in negotiations with Aramark to get the plates and plastic silverware used in the cafeterias replaced with compostable or biodegradable versions as part of their "Solid Green" initiative.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta GT, 1998 GTI 2.0, 2012 GLI, 2012 GTI
      04-29-2012 04:37 PM #53
      Yes, I do.

Vehicles
      MTA
      04-29-2012 04:40 PM #54
      Paper, cardboard and plastic shopping bags.

I just don't have the room-- or the recycling program provided by my trash removal provider-- to recycle everything.

It's better than nothing though, I suppose.

Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      04-29-2012 05:17 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by O_o View Post

Here the fee to enter the dump is steep enough that I never consider it unless I have a truck or trailer load.

Quote Originally Posted by GoRacers View Post
      We recycle, but it is free. Also all in one bin.
      I guess I still would, if we had to pay, just never had to think about it.
      I love not having to separate my recyclables. For some reason I dreaded garbage day as a child waaaay more then I should of for the simple task of having to separate my recyclables. When it was no longer required anything be separated here in Winnipeg it was a big deal around my mom's house. Then I moved out to an apartment that had separate bins for everything which was kind of funny.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You are in the land of rust and honey.

Vehicles
      a '98 [on life support] and a '07
      04-29-2012 05:35 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post

Yeah, I used to feel the same way when I was single.

I used to live in Worcester, MA. The system then was great. You paid for city trashbags and used your own can or no can at all; $5 for 5 large or 10 small. I got away with 1 small bag a week.
      Where is Kyron ??? http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
      Support our troops, bless the fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      Yes, there is a high chance that the tractor trailer was the one going 160MPH, not the Porsche GT2 RS.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      04-29-2012 06:10 PM #57
      Where I live, most municipalities fund trash pickup with property taxes. So.....technically it is free to us.
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

Vehicles
      2.0 for commuting, 5.0 for lolz
      04-29-2012 06:13 PM #58
      I live in an apartment complex that has a large dumpster at the end of the parking lot, plus a couple smaller wheeled "toters" next to it for recyclables. I made a point of separating everything for a while when I moved in...then one day I happened to be outside when they came to pick up the trash. They tipped the dumpster into the truck first, and then proceeded to empty the toters into the back of the truck, therefore just mixing it in with the trash anyway

Oddly enough, knowing that, I still keep plastic and glass separate and put them in the recycling toters, maybe hoping that one day, they will make it to the right place

Vehicles
      disco, new wave, rave era german iron...and a Japanese V8 with a tailgate
      04-29-2012 06:14 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by spoon! View Post
      I'll go if Paul goes.
      Rod Blagojevich - Team My Little Pony

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      04-29-2012 06:21 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by retro_rocket View Post
      They tipped the dumpster into the truck first, and then proceeded to empty the toters into the back of the truck, therefore just mixing it in with the trash anyway
      Waste Management? Ask me how I know.
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

26. Member
      Vehicles
      '11 GTI
      04-29-2012 06:34 PM #61
      We had WM when I was a kid in Ohio. They charged extra for recycling then dumped it in the same landfill as the garbage so we quit paying for it.

Where I live in Pittsburgh it's included in your garbage fee. You just have to get the bins which are a $10 refundable deposit and you can just put recyclables in plastic bags if you overfill the bin so no need to pay for more bins. They take plastic, glass, metals, and corrugated paper all together. Picked up every other week. Simple, and I do it.

When I lived at home in bfe we didn't pay for trash pickup at all. Tossed out food waste in the woods/weeds, took the recyclables to the large, public collection bins, burned everything else we could and then we were left with about a grocery bags worth of "garbage" that we tossed in a family friend's dumpster about every other week. It was amazing how little we sent to a landfill.

27. 04-29-2012 06:50 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post

I get 2 huge 100gallon rolling dumpsters for that too....which I have filled with everything known to man....including a bath tub I busted to **** with a hammer.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      04-29-2012 06:54 PM #63
      I get 2 huge 100gallon rolling dumpsters for that too....which I have filled with everything known to man....including a bath tub I busted to **** with a hammer.
      y u no update yer tumblr?

Vehicles
      2006 GLI, Bugatti Veyron SS
      04-29-2012 07:02 PM #64
      **** the enviroment
      A great man

Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      04-29-2012 07:04 PM #65
      Wish I could of done that with the old bath tub from my house. Stamp was 1949 and it was so heavy it broke bits off the concrete front steps of the house when we were carrying it out.
      We made up for that by kicking apart the old basement couches the same week.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You are in the land of rust and honey.

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.0T DSG
      04-29-2012 07:07 PM #66
      I sure do , its full every week, they come once a week to pick it up.
      Quote Originally Posted by boradie sucht View Post
      what good does searching do anymore? say in 2 years when new people come on and have questions and decide to search first. and then this thread pops up, when its all idiots like you telling him to search.
      whats the point of that, either contribute or STFU

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      04-29-2012 07:41 PM #67
      What was that quote from Fight Club? Something about recycling and speed limits...

Vehicles
      2004 VW Golf R32 DeepBluePerleffekt (B5R)
      04-29-2012 07:54 PM #68
      sure do.
      my township gives out those huge 65 gallon wheeled containers for trash and recyclables.
      i buy my beer in 1/4 kegs,no more bottles and cans (i can go through an alarming amount of bottles in a week,lol)
      if it weren't for my cat's weekly litterbox trash,i'd really only need to throw out my food trash once or twice a month.i love recycling
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!
      Mind-Blowing List of Mods: Dark Charcoal tinted front side markers & blinkers.Continental DWS A/S tires on stock Aristos w/ VW Racing center caps.Koni FSD shocks w/ OEM US R32 springs.EBC Redstuff pads.Gloss Black painted stock front grille & mirror caps.

Vehicles
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      04-29-2012 08:47 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      We have curbside recycling but I ****ing hate it. Every Tuesday morning the neighbors know how much I drank the past week because beer bottles are so ****ing LOUD We easily have the loudest recycling load on the entire block
      Can't you take the beer bottles to a Bottle Depot and get money for them? That's how homeless people make a living by going through the curbside recycling bins. I only put recyclables in there and take my drink containers to the Bottle Depot to pay for lottery tickets. So yeah, I recycle as much as I can at home.

Vehicles
      2.0 for commuting, 5.0 for lolz
      04-30-2012 03:13 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Waste Management? Ask me how I know.
      Nah, a small local company.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast