Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long term frankenturbo users chime in

Vehicles
      02 jetta 1.8t
      04-28-2012 07:40 PM #1
      I'm about to pull the trigger on an f23 kit for my 02 jetta I'm looking to see how they hold up and issues if any also solutions for heater hose interference
      Thanks Tom T
      i wish my grass was emo so it would cut it's self

2. 04-28-2012 10:23 PM #2
      I have had the FrankenTurbo F4 (Mk1 original model) in my car since February of 2010.

I have about 35,000 miles on it and no issues. I had the turbo off a months ago when I was changing out my cv joints. (SO much easier to get the turbo out with the CV's out of the way). There was no play in the shaft at all, the compressor still looked brand new with no noticeable wear, and the turbine looked as you would expect from all the exhaust.

I have it tuned with Motoza tuning and it easily holds 20psi to redline. I was one of the originals to get an EGT probe as well and the temps were well within safe range from what I remember (Its been removed for sometime now)

The only thing negative I could mention, there is a lot more oil in my intercooler system then there ever was with my K03s, but it does not seem to be an issue at all.

Customer service is great. I could never say enough about Doug. To this day, I will email him with a concern and he will respond quicker then any other company I have ordered from.

Just as a story of how great my experience was with Doug, when I was installing the turbo, I snapped a bolt for the exhaust manifold to turbo and could not back it out of the turbine side. Doug overnighted me a new turbine housing to get my car back on the road ASAP.

If you have any specific questions, ask.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrickvr6
      I suppose the Germans would have just set the perfectly fitting panel in place and used soul to attach it to the car.

Vehicles
      02 jetta 1.8t
      04-28-2012 10:54 PM #3
      thanks i have been emailing back and forth with doug i feel like he goes above and beyond to help

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Jetta 2.0
      04-28-2012 11:16 PM #4
      I'm stock right now but i'm planning to go with the F23 and Motonza.

Vehicles
      '03 GTI 1.8FT, '88 Jetta Coupe.
      04-29-2012 01:04 AM #5
      Doug really does go above and beyond to help his customers. i believe hes a 1 man operation and hes got FAR better customer service that any'all of the big companies i've delt with. he replies to you at 2-3 AM, Weekends, Holidays, doesnt matter. Doug is there for his costumers.

I have the F4H, been in since last July 2011. just crossed 10K miles with it. no issues... yet, (knock on wood).
      I have HEX-CAN VAGCOM. PM me if you want me to come out to you.
      The Apartment Build
      Just another SoCal build/progress thread
      Look what I brought home today! (sitting in SoCal)
      Quote Originally Posted by 87vr6 View Post
      Stop. Sell your VW, get off vortex.

6. 04-29-2012 07:54 AM #6
      Still very pleased... No issues....pull the trigger!

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 92 Honda Prelude Si JDM H22 Swapped
      04-29-2012 09:26 AM #7
      Doug @ Frankenturbo is the man! I don't have one, but a buddy of mine is about to purchase an F4, I can't wait to see one of those turbo's in person. It almost feels like i'm gettin a new turbo
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, GodSpeed Aluminum Radiator, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

8. 04-29-2012 10:13 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post
      Doug @ Frankenturbo is the man! I don't have one, but a buddy of mine is about to purchase an F4, I can't wait to see one of those turbo's in person. It almost feels like i'm gettin a new turbo
      Your hommie is gonna be stoked
      I would also highly recommend the Unitronic stage 2+ 440cc file written for the FT(not the stage 2+on the Uni website). Unless he is going Maestro of course...
      Last edited by Twopnt016v; 04-29-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Southern Michigan / Raleigh, North Carolina
      Vehicles
      Jazz Blue #0802
      04-29-2012 11:12 AM #9
      Hes shipping my F23 set up monday! I cannot wait!!!!

I might post a thread about it, but it there but it doesnt seem like he needs more kudos! (jp)

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 92 Honda Prelude Si JDM H22 Swapped
      04-29-2012 02:45 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Twopnt016v View Post
      Your hommie is gonna be stoked
      I would also highly recommend the Unitronic stage 2+ 440cc file written for the FT(not the stage 2+on the Uni website). Unless he is going Maestro of course...
      oh ok. I'll tell him about the Uni FT file. He currently has revo, I don't know what software he wants to go with. It for sure won't be that muppet tuner tho lol
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, GodSpeed Aluminum Radiator, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 05:23 PM #11
      my buddy has the Revo 2+. they claimed it would work for the FT F4h. he hates it. cant get it to idle smoothly, misfires, ect, ect. i believe he is going to get the Uni file.
      The Apartment Build

04-29-2012 06:11 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by MÄDDNESSS View Post
      my buddy has the Revo 2+. they claimed it would work for the FT F4h. he hates it. cant get it to idle smoothly, misfires, ect, ect. i believe he is going to get the Uni file.
      Ran my F4 on the stock tune for 3 months before getting flashed uni 2+ at waterfest. now being almost a full year all I can say is top notch product. Only problems I have are the excessive pcv moisture, but that is a given for the ~23psi boost it's moving. And I have been getting a lot more backfires coming out of winter weather. Not sure what its related too but I have no investigated either. But holy heck this thing moves when its under 40F outside! Need W/M next.
      GrimWater2012

Vehicles
      02 jetta 1.8t
      04-29-2012 06:26 PM #13
      Sweet I'm ordering after I post this my bottom end is built with ie rods snow progressive w/m front mount and peliquins LSD I'm running giac k04 100 octane tune on a **** rp turbo

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 RSI Cup Kitted 18T BUG
      04-30-2012 08:56 AM #14
      (Your hommie is gonna be stoked
      I would also highly recommend the Unitronic stage 2+ 440cc file written for the FT(not the stage 2+on the Uni website). Unless he is going Maestro of course...) QUOTE from above !!!

What sort of RR figures BHP and torque are you seeing guys with this tune, with or without
      water/meth, please

Regards Lenny

Im running the FT4h with 386cc, 4 bar fpr, 3" MAF, JBS exhaust mani, forge 007 dv.
      I cannot seem to get above 250/258 BHP at 5,100 rpm, and at that stage IATs
      go toooooo high. Also running this with a charge cooler. Has been in the car now for nearly a full year. This is with a local tuner, with a personal written file for my cars spec
      Last edited by leonardodecappiccuno; 04-30-2012 at 09:00 AM.

15. 04-30-2012 09:30 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by leonardodecappiccuno View Post
      (Your hommie is gonna be stoked
      I would also highly recommend the Unitronic stage 2+ 440cc file written for the FT(not the stage 2+on the Uni website). Unless he is going Maestro of course...) QUOTE from above !!!

What sort of RR figures BHP and torque are you seeing guys with this tune, with or without
      water/meth, please

Regards Lenny

Im running the FT4h with 386cc, 4 bar fpr, 3" MAF, JBS exhaust mani, forge 007 dv.
      go toooooo high. Also running this with a charge cooler. Has been in the car now for nearly a full year. This is with a local tuner, with a personal written file for my cars spec
      Around 280hp/300tq with upgraded sidemount IC, Water/meth and timing advance.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8T
      04-30-2012 09:42 AM #16

I have the F4 on my car, so far I love it!

I have noticed the excessive PCV though

I'm interested on hearing your guys numbers with this turbo.

I don't have meth, but meth is in the near future.

I'm on Uni's F4 tune. What psi are you guys making?

Edit: Forgot to add my Southbend stage II clutch is slipping
      Last edited by MrAkalin; 04-30-2012 at 09:46 AM.
      2002 F21 GTI Sold
      2005 CTS-V Best decision I've made
      Contact Mike P. @ Stevebilt for anything you need.

17. Member
      04-30-2012 12:21 PM #17
      I have the f23 on my car for about 6 days right now. Running it on GIAC ko40-23 file with TT225 injectors. Car has 75k on the clock with the timing belt and water pump done. Holds 25 psi no problem im just concerned that the spikes are going to eventually bend a rod i know the turbo can put out much more i have the over boost valve set on the conservative side since i just installed the set up. As far as the quality of the turbo goes, im sure its just as good as most of the other stuff on the market, its way way better than a chinese ebay turbo. Im not a long term user but as far as my short term experience im very very happy. I didnt want to deal with daily driving a big turbo and this is a way better upgrade than a normal K04. Pull the trigger you wont be disappointed.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 Jetta, '68 912
      04-30-2012 12:48 PM #18
      The F23 fit the exact bill I was looking for. I didn't know it at first as I was just looking to replace my K03, but I'm very glad I went the F23 route for a bit more money. Seems to be a perfect fit for a FWD daily driver.

As far as Frankenturbo as a company, it's be wonderful dealing with Doug. Nothing but praise here.

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 01:49 PM #19

no FMIC?
      The Apartment Build

20. Member
      Vehicles
      04-30-2012 02:21 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by MÄDDNESSS View Post
      no FMIC?
      NO FMIC, running converted tyrol sport SMIC with water jacket, frozen boost rad and 12" fan,
      and meziere pump.

Regards Lenny

ps running this setup on my 18t Bug

Vehicles
      05' VW GLI
      04-30-2012 02:43 PM #21
      NO FMIC, running converted tyrol sport SMIC with water jacket, frozen boost rad and 12" fan,
      and meziere pump.

Regards Lenny

ps running this setup on my 18t Bug
      Sounds interesting Can you share details / post pics?
      KO3 @ 30psi...

22. Member
      Vehicles
      04-30-2012 05:11 PM #22
      A few pics of my install

23. 04-30-2012 05:40 PM #23
      ^^Nice set-up

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      04-30-2012 06:44 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by forcefedjetta View Post
      I'm about to pull the trigger on an f23 kit for my 02 jetta I'm looking to see how they hold up and issues if any also solutions for heater hose interference
      Thanks Tom T
      There's an f23 install thread going on right now. I'd follow that for some more details.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

25. Banner Advertiser doug@frankenturbo.com's Avatar
      05-01-2012 12:22 AM #25
      Lenny -- that intercooler is nasty! I've never seen that done before on a Mk4. Nice stuff.
      www.frankenturbo.com
      Let's Do This

26. Member
      Vehicles
      05-02-2012 04:10 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by doug@frankenturbo.com View Post
      Lenny -- that intercooler is nasty! I've never seen that done before on a Mk4. Nice stuff.
      Thanks Doug, its still only holds about 5 litres of fluid without a header tank, so I'm
      looking at having some sort of tank fitted to increase the capacity, and hence cooling.
      Seems better than air/air that I have been running for several years (tyrolsport smic)
      which is a super intercooler to start with.

Regards Lenny

Vehicles
      2002 golf gti
      05-02-2012 05:00 PM #27
      Finally nearing my $ amount goal for a substantial upgrade.

Should be there in a month or so, still deciding between a f23 and e2 eliminator gt30

I believe both kits would produce the same amount of power, maybe more-so out of the elim.

I guess it depends where I want the power, low or high.

Yeah ive heard atp horror stories, but I think that was their original design,
      50 trim'd up!
      http://ctsturbo.com-/thread

28. 05-02-2012 05:18 PM #28
      stay away from eliminators. Terrible at best!!! You will regret it. I did. I am super happy with my F23!

Vehicles
      2002 golf gti
      05-02-2012 05:27 PM #29
      Did you have the original version or the e2?

Saw some videos and reviews making 20psi by 4000. Not horrible, 320 hp easily made

But yes, ive heard the horrible things but I thought they may have turned it around a bit with the e2

I guess using the stock flange should probably stick with a stock-ish framed turbo.
      50 trim'd up!
      http://ctsturbo.com-/thread

30. 05-02-2012 05:58 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by 20VCanuck View Post
      Did you have the original version or the e2?

Saw some videos and reviews making 20psi by 4000. Not horrible, 320 hp easily made

But yes, ive heard the horrible things but I thought they may have turned it around a bit with the e2

I guess using the stock flange should probably stick with a stock-ish framed turbo.
      I had the original which was a nightmare to install. I needed to extend my shift linkage to get it to fit, grind part of the transmission for clearance .... Just a nightmare I would never want to experience!

I had a friend with an e2. always plagued with exhaust leaks, blown gaskets, bolts backing out and terrible spool. He made 280whp with the 2871r kit.

31. 05-02-2012 07:27 PM #31
      Im downgrading from a GT30R setup and Im going with the F23 Kit. Since day 1 that I talked to Doug, he has been very helpful.

I will be doing an install thread as well with my mods and maestro.

In my opinion, going "Big Turbo" (GT30R) is no fun, unless you are always on the highway and driving 60mph +.

From what I have read and seen, the F23 gives you power when you need it, and still gives you that OEM feel.

His threads are always active and you find help everywhere, "spartiati" one of the forum members from here has been very helpful and knows quite a lot from this setup, He has helped me answer some questions regarding this setup.

In my honest opinion, I think you should pull the trigger on the F23

Vehicles
      bagged 01 Golf 1.8t, 03 malone tuned Jetta wagon tdi, 97 Cabrio, 09 hayabusa
      05-02-2012 08:55 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by spartiati View Post
      stay away from eliminators. Terrible at best!!! You will regret it. I did. I am super happy with my F23!
      How much power are you making with the F23?

33. Banner Advertiser doug@frankenturbo.com's Avatar
      05-02-2012 09:13 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by asylum View Post
      How much power are you making with the F23?

Boy, did you open a Pantera's Box with that one...
      www.frankenturbo.com
      Let's Do This

Vehicles
      2001 jetta wolfsburg, 1989 jetta gli
      05-02-2012 09:14 PM #34
      with the f23 you can have 25psi by 3300 rpms and hold it til redline why would you go eliminator
      Quote Originally Posted by G3T3I7 View Post
      because race springs
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      i love sacks
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      TCL isn't car enthusiasts. It's a forum for 40 year old guys to brag about their 2007 Hyundai Sonata. And to talk meaningless sh*t on anything VW

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-02-2012 09:18 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by doug@frankenturbo.com View Post
      Boy, did you open a Pantera's Box with that one...
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast