Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Who has shipped wheels before?

Vehicles
      Bagged MKVI Jetta
      04-28-2012 08:42 PM #1
      Dumb question but ive never done it before and im looking for the best place to use. Preferably around Tysons. the wheels have tires on them also so im assuming its around 150-200 for shipping? i think hes in NJ

Vehicles
      1990 JETTA VR6, 2003 JETTA 1.8T, 2010 TOUAREG TDI
      04-28-2012 09:34 PM #2
      if you have any place pack them for you they will charge you a lot just for packing job. do it yourself if you can, not that bad if the tires are on them. usually places ship wheels and tires mounted and put a thick foam on both sides with cardboard on the outside wrapped in tape or straps. tires will protect the barrel. or you can box two of the wheels together if they are not overly large.
      I do work on cars, anything short of engine and transmission rebuilding can be done. welding, custom and aftermarket as well as regular repairs. IM me for details, shop is in WOodbridge.

Vehicles
      Bagged MKVI Jetta
      04-28-2012 09:45 PM #3
      Awesome thanks I plan on packing them myself just so I know they are safer.

Vehicles
      1990 JETTA VR6, 2003 JETTA 1.8T, 2010 TOUAREG TDI
      04-28-2012 09:55 PM #4
      you have fedex office on rt7 in shopping center where panera bread and radio shack is. im sure there is a ups store somewhere too.

but you can ship with either online and save like 20% over the store pricing. most of the time both are about the same price. it takes few minutes to setup online account and ship with it.
      I do work on cars, anything short of engine and transmission rebuilding can be done. welding, custom and aftermarket as well as regular repairs. IM me for details, shop is in WOodbridge.

Vehicles
      Bagged MKVI Jetta
      04-28-2012 10:58 PM #5
      I appreciate the help

Vehicles
      a van
      05-03-2012 09:16 AM #6
      i've shipped wheels using fedex before (used the location on Rt.7 near Stohlman).
      i basically did what tirerack says: http://www.tirerack.com/about/return_tires_wheels.jsp

then i had shrink/packaging wrap and wrapped each wheel completely a couple of times.

$150 sounds about right, it all comes down to weight.
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

Vehicles
      Bagged MKVI Jetta
      05-03-2012 09:26 AM #7
      Thats an awesome diagram. Thanks!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      W123 230E Euro
      05-03-2012 11:47 AM #8
      Ive shipped a bunch of sets, mainly to california and that has run me exactly $199 every time. Use the Fed-ex in down town McLean they are good, also don't do the tire rack method its good for tires but not for rims. You can pick up cheap boxes from home depot for like $10.

Vehicles
      a van
      05-03-2012 11:50 AM #9
      oh yeah, bubble wrap is your friend.

also, i just got wheels/tires from TireRack yesterday shipped exactly how they described it there. no damage whatsoever. worked for me
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC, 2009 CC 2.0T Sport
      05-03-2012 12:52 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by evosky View Post
      i've shipped wheels using fedex before (used the location on Rt.7 near Stohlman).
      i basically did what tirerack says: http://www.tirerack.com/about/return_tires_wheels.jsp

then i had shrink/packaging wrap and wrapped each wheel completely a couple of times.

$150 sounds about right, it all comes down to weight.

As someone who has shipped countless sets of wheels, I approve this diagram and method.

Vehicles
      Bagged MKVI Jetta
      05-03-2012 01:35 PM #11
      I forgot to mention they have tires on them so the tire rack method will work for me

12. 05-06-2012 11:42 AM #12
      I use the same method as the diagram above, but then i put everything in a box. 4 Wheels, 4 boxes. The $200 seems average depending on the wheel specs. If your dealing with the stock wheels or something of the 8.5" area i see being about $200, wide 10" wheels with tires will probably set you back another $100. Weight is the big factor.
      Last edited by Señor BigJuts; 05-06-2012 at 11:45 AM.
      Formally : 05slvrstonegray1.8t
      PM me for services..
      Bodywork (molding/shaving)
      Coilover installs , Air installs
      Vag Com Scans