Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Trade in value question.

1. 04-28-2012 10:40 PM #1
      In February I just leased a 2012 TDi Golf, 2dr 6 speed manual. After only 2000 miles I can't stand to drive the car anymore, the seat bolsters dig into my legs and sides, the lumbar "support" is killing my back. I've had the dealership try to adjust the seats and I've spent hours messing with them trying to get them to stop causing me pain but it isn't working. There's other things I don't like about the car but the bottom line is, it causes me pain to drive it for more than 1 hour at a time. VW customer service isn't willing to do anything for me, so I'm left to figure something out on my own. My only solution is to trade it in and here's where the steaerlships want to royally screw me.

There aren't any published trade values for the car yet so the few places I've taken it for a possible trade, they want to low ball me to death. I can show them the value of a 2011 TDi Golf equipped like mine and the published "value" is more than I'm being offered. Does anyone have any ideas on how to figure out a reasonable value for this car? If I had the extra cash to make up a payoff difference I'd just sell the car outright myself but I don't have that kind of cash available right now so a trade is my only real option right now.

Vehicles
      2011 VW TDI, DSG, Xenon, Dynaudio
      04-28-2012 10:48 PM #2
      Strange seat complain...How fat are you?

Vehicles
      2011 Golf TDI
      04-28-2012 10:54 PM #3
      TDIs in good shape are in super high demand and selling for over invoice in many markets still

Try not acting so desperate, fatty

Vehicles
      2011 GTI / RWD S10 / 2008 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/Navi
      04-28-2012 11:38 PM #4
      Change the seats. What are they other things that you don't like? Also being a lease I think your ****ed for a while.
      OEM+ l ORT

5. 04-29-2012 01:02 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by 2011VWTDI View Post
      you make the assumption that I'm fat, which is not a good assumption to make. I never had any comfort issue w/ the Recaros in my MKII GLi which I drove for years.

Quote Originally Posted by phatz314 View Post
      TDIs in good shape are in super high demand and selling for over invoice in many markets still

Try not acting so desperate, fatty
      I don't think I'm acting desperate, if I were, would I be asking for opinions on a good course of action?

Quote Originally Posted by shankys_14 View Post
      Change the seats. What are they other things that you don't like? Also being a lease I think your ****ed for a while.
      Thanks for only mature response. The other things I'm not liking are the "feel" of the brakes, they just feel dead to me. There's already a few small rattles and squeaks coming from somewhere in the back, I don't have anything in the hatch area so it's not something that I rattling around. There are many things I like about the car, the overall economy is good, the motor feels as strong as the modded ALH I had in my old MKIV Jetta. The trans shifts very smoothly. It's nice to have a car that can be personalized w/ euro spec'd parts or many offerings from the aftermarket.

A seat change has crossed my mind, I'd need to find standard 2dr Golf seats to do it then store the original seats so I can put it back to stock at turn in time, I just don't know if it's worth the $$ and effort. I don't see myself wanting to buy this car once the lease is up, all in all this entire experience has been a complete let down.

The open end lease makes it possible to trade out of it, buy it or sell it myself. It's a matter of economics- what's the maximum amount of financial loss I can live with?

Vehicles
      static mk6 GTI/static mk2 Jetta Wolfie
      04-29-2012 01:52 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by 2011VWTDI View Post
      lol. this guy...

Umm, change the seats and deal with it. you should know from owning a mk4 that the rattles will come, its a VW for crying out loud

imo, thats the best way to go about the problem, you can sell the extra seats when you swap back for turn in.
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      I've seen hookers with less gap.
      Click here for lulz. ~
      mk6. | Instagram @fist_sluts | Chucktown Dubs.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI MT 2DR
      04-29-2012 02:00 PM #7
      These are all common faults with the GTI. Ive been told the brake feel can be fixed by better brake fluid, but I have yet to try them for myself.

As for the seats, the backrest/ lumbar are infinitely adjustable, so this is the first time i have ever heard of problems like this. I would say just change em but mkII seats are probably going to require substantial modification to fit the runners on the GTI, and any aftermarket seats are going to be 'sporty' and even worse. I would suggest seeing if you like any of the seats from the other golfs, and ordering OEM parts from a vendor

8. 04-29-2012 02:13 PM #8
      If you are intent on selling/trading the car, you should try to sell it private party to someone you trust. Once an agreement is inked, you can buy out your lease from VW and transfer it to the private party. It's not easy or clean (requires a degree of trust), but it's the best way not to get screwed on trade in (though you still are going to lose a few dollars due to high depreciation in the first year).

Good luck!

Vehicles
      2011 Golf TDI
      04-29-2012 02:23 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by wjbski View Post
      I don't think I'm acting desperate, if I were, would I be asking for opinions on a good course of action?
      No, tons of fun, I meant when you talk to the dealer. 2 months into a lease and you want a trade in, you reek of fresh meat to any comptetent salesman. Try pretending you're just looking you gotta make him earn it for petes sake

10. 04-29-2012 07:21 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by phatz314 View Post
      No, tons of fun, I meant when you talk to the dealer. 2 months into a lease and you want a trade in, you reek of fresh meat to any comptetent salesman. Try pretending you're just looking you gotta make him earn it for petes sake
      Oh, I understand ! Believe me, I'm not looking to jump at the first deal that can come together. I just want to be armed with as much knowledge as possible so I can take the minimal financial hit that I can. I still have the possibility of swapping in base model Golf seats, I wouldn't do any ghetto ass downgrades like slapping MKII seats or after market 'racing' seats. I like knowing that I'm surrounded by air bags in case something bad happens while driving.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI / RWD S10 / 2008 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/Navi
      04-29-2012 07:40 PM #11
      Maybe you can find MKV or MKVI autobahn seats those are nice.
      OEM+ l ORT

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI 2.0T 6spd, 2001 GTI 1.8T 5spd
      04-29-2012 11:16 PM #12
      car-part.com for seats.
      01 GTI 1.8T 195k
      06 Chevy Colorado 4x4 5spd 75k
      10 GTI 2.0T 6spd 60k

Vehicles
      More than you can afford pal. Ferrari.
      04-30-2012 01:11 AM #13
      Op i traded my CC in solely because of the seats. I spent countless hours trying different fixes. What a pos those were

6"2 190 lbs.

My point is that i understand.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'13 | 0311 | 0331| 0933 | '14- Soldier of Fortune
      Wagon Aficionado | Brodozer Brocionado | BMW Motorrad
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Wagon GTG SoWo '14

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI 4DR 6MT Tomato Red
      04-30-2012 11:57 AM #14
      After I bought my 2000 GTI, for the first couple of months, I hated the seats. I had the same thoughts about getting rid of the car, or changing the driver's seat.

I have a persistent pain in my lower back, and the seats were torture. I discovered that some padding at the bottom of the seat back (a wadded up hoodie) helped considerably. As time went on, either the seat adapted to me, or I adapted to the seat, or both. Whichever it was, after those first few months, I found the seats to be supremely comfortable for the remainder of the 10 years that I owned the car.

The only gripe I have with the seats in either car is the side bolsters on the seat bottom. I can't comfortably drive with a wallet in my back pocket because I typically have a lot of, uh, "stuff" in it.

Maybe you need to give it a little more time before you do something drastic.

Vehicles
      2007 GLI (SOLD) / 2010 Pressurized GTI
      04-30-2012 12:06 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      6"2 190 lbs.
      call me.

Vehicles
      87 T-Red GTI 16V, '12 Beetle Turbo, 04 .:R32 DBP, 2010 CW GTI (sold)
      04-30-2012 12:18 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Nuts View Post
      call me.
      lmao
      ---
      GTI

Vehicles
      2012 GTI 4-Door DSG / 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      04-30-2012 07:01 PM #17
      Here you go:

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2012/...onal-Equipment

I would be hesitant of a seat replacement due to airbags.