Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 14x6.5 ET30 fitment... final offset needed!

Vehicles
      81 Caddy 1.9TD AAZ, 84 rabbit diesel, 95 jeep cherokee.
      04-29-2012 12:00 AM #1
      Ok so I'm trying to specs to order adapters.

does anyone have a similar wheel, or at least the same width and offset that fits on a mk1 just right? Or anyone have a low offset 6.5 that fits just right? Need to figure out my final offset!

I could measure off my hubs but I dont have my rabbit present.
      I'm on here way too much

Vehicles
      88 fox RIP 86 jetta RIP 81 rabbit RIP, 1984 GTI RIP, 03Ranger RIP, (03 Legacy, 03 Allroad, 86 Jetta)
      04-29-2012 12:02 AM #2
      stock 5.5-6" is usually ET 35 IIRC.
      1% defined: Lone wolf, no club. Duct tape it yourself. It is broken down 1% of the time, and work is always 1% completed.
      2% defined: I'm too old to drive broken sh*t and VW people are cool. DBVW!
      Quote Originally Posted by nsindel View Post
      May I introduce Senor SGLoki -
      the man, the myth, the slamdancer...

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 12:38 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by SGLoki View Post
      stock 5.5-6" is usually ET 35 IIRC.
      their not stock wheels. I'm trying to figure out how thick the adapter will need to be to push the outer lip to meet the fender. Hoping that the minimum adapter thickness is not too thick, making the outer lip go past the fender.
      I'm on here way too much

Vehicles
      88 fox RIP 86 jetta RIP 81 rabbit RIP, 1984 GTI RIP, 03Ranger RIP, (03 Legacy, 03 Allroad, 86 Jetta)
      04-29-2012 02:30 AM #4
      they're*

I give you stock specs so you can do the math..

if my numbers were right, and a 6" wide wheel has an ET of 35, and your 6.5" wide wheels have and et of 30, your wheels will be 11mm closer to the outside, with 1mm extra on the inside... no spacers needed.
      1% defined: Lone wolf, no club. Duct tape it yourself. It is broken down 1% of the time, and work is always 1% completed.

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 03:09 AM #5
      they're*

I give you stock specs so you can do the math..

if my numbers were right, and a 6" wide wheel has an ET of 35, and your 6.5" wide wheels have and et of 30, your wheels will be 11mm closer to the outside, with 1mm extra on the inside... no spacers needed.
      No I had basket weeve's on my cabriolet with 10mm spacers and they still had room to come out. They too were 14x6.5 but offset of like 35?

I guess I will just have to test fit one when I go down to work on my rabbit. I have a caddy I can use to measure the front but im sure the rear would be different.
      I'm on here way too much

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 01:20 PM #6
      So you have a specific goal in mind rather than just being sure that they fit without rubbing?

It would be good to share that goal.

In a nutshell, measure what you have, see how far you have to go to where you want the outside, then subtract 11mm, there is the amount of spacer you want/need to add.

So far a s minimum thickness, there really isn't a minimum thickness, as long as you can deal with the spacer not having a hub centric ring.

7. 04-29-2012 02:20 PM #7
      So you have a specific goal in mind rather than just being sure that they fit without rubbing?

It would be good to share that goal.

In a nutshell, measure what you have, see how far you have to go to where you want the outside, then subtract 11mm, there is the amount of spacer you want/need to add.

So far a s minimum thickness, there really isn't a minimum thickness, as long as you can deal with the spacer not having a hub centric ring.

He said he wants them to fit flush with the fenders in an above post.

I don't know why you're subtracting anything. The easy way to do it is to mount the wheel with one bolt then measure how far you want to come out. It's pretty simple. He's not trying to crunch offsets.

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 02:57 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ChopitupBuryit View Post

I don't know why you're subtracting anything. The easy way to do it is to mount the wheel with one bolt then measure how far you want to come out. It's pretty simple. He's not trying to crunch offsets.

I just dont have my car to mount them up to or at lest hold it up to. or else I would.
      I'm on here way too much

9. 04-29-2012 11:13 PM #9
      you'd be amazed how many people actually do basic arithmetics before spending thousands of dollars on wheels/tires that they have actually never seen or test fitted.

stock size is 185/60r14 with a 14x6 et 38 wheel

The offset is 8 lower, so the wheel sticks out another 8mm. The wheels are half an inch wider so they stick out another 1/4 inch and stick in a 1/4 inch. Thus you are 1.65mm further out on the inside, and 14.35mm out on the outside.

Buy 185/55 tires and lower it.

Don't bother spacing it, waste of money and if you have flairs you may run into fitment problems.

Sitting flush with the fenders means you either look
      A) Like a monster truck
      B) Like a Mexican

To my knowledge there are no tires around for the money you'll spend that will fit with a flush 14" wheel of that width.
      Last edited by etta gli; 04-29-2012 at 11:17 PM.

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 11:33 PM #10
      Actually 155/55's are in my future. Like I said before.. I had bmw basket weeves(14x6.5 et 35) with toyo 195/45 on a cabriolet with a clipper. I had 10mm spacers and it was just enough for the tire to barely rub on th inside of the flare. My rabbit does not have flares of any kind.

Also a fact that you may have looked over.. I'm running 5x112 wheels, and therefore need adapters. Trying to figure out exactly how thick they need to be.

flush.. monster truck? Mexican? No no that's POKE... and if they poke a few mm that's fine. Easily fixed with a bit of camber. I don't think these will be my daily wheels anyway so..
      Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
      I'm on here way too much

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 01:05 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by ChopitupBuryit View Post

Don't you facepalm me boy. I'm not there to mount and measure his crap for him, I was offering the guy some free help over the internet, not offering to come to his shop and teach him how to read a tape measure. he can compare what he has to what he wants and do basic math as etta GLI so wisely said... People tend to do these things before spending thousands on wheels.

"crunching" offsets is basic math dude, and I am not shocked that you "don't know why" I am subtracting anything. The easiest way to do things is to shut your mouth when men are talking.

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 01:13 AM #12
      Don't you facepalm me boy. I'm not there to mount and measure his crap for him, I was offering the guy some free help over the internet, not offering to come to his shop and teach him how to read a tape measure. he can compare what he has to what he wants and do basic math as etta GLI so wisely said... People tend to do these things before spending thousands on wheels.

"crunching" offsets is basic math dude, and I am not shocked that you "don't know why" I am subtracting anything. The easiest way to do things is to shut your mouth when men are talking.
      calm down broski, lol. I bought the rims because I liked them a-lot. And I got them for a deal. I could measure but I have not had the time to drive an hour to my car to do so.. But tomorrow I am test fitting them on a buddies mk1. I will keep you all updated!
      I'm on here way too much

13. 04-30-2012 02:15 PM #13
      camber means you'll eat tires, and you'd probably spend a lot for 4x100 to 5x112 adapters that thin since they're uncommon.

I'd recommend having them redrilled, because your current offset with that width will be prime.

Stretch on wheels that small looks off, OEM looking fitment IMO is best for wheels of this stature. 185/55, or maybe 1cm narrower. I have 165/50 on a 15x7 and almost regret it, narrow tires look cheap no matter what you do.
      Last edited by etta gli; 04-30-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Vehicles
      '11 Golf TDI
      04-30-2012 02:54 PM #14
      14x6.5 et6, the front lip is flush, maybe a couple mm poke (if that), but with my 185/60s it's hard to see the lips. And I have flares.

Our mk6

oldskoolvw.com

DIY Garage needs funding... CLICK HERE!!

15. 04-30-2012 03:01 PM #15
      Trucks are different. That would look like ass on a rabbit.

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 03:04 PM #16
      Well adapters aregoing to need to be super thin. Looked at redrilling the hubs but they themselves would have to be enlarged to fit the 5x112. After that what about the rotors... enlarging them might interfere with the brakes...

Rear drums would be easy. Have to fill one of the holes then end up drilling 5 new ones one of which would be partially where the one was welded.

Easiest option is 5 lug swap,2.0 brakes up front. With adapters or re-drilled hubs and rotors.

Maybe mk6 jetta rear drums if the rear spindles bolt the same, and those are already 5x112.

Its a lot and I'm doubting these rims. But I'm going to look into adapters still and see if they will work.

If your runing an offset of +6 on a 14x6.5 and it only barely pokes, and your not lowered a lot(the wheels camber automatically when it gets lower) then I should have 24mm to get where you are. If I can get 20mm adapters then I might give it a shot.

I'm on here way too much

17. 04-30-2012 03:06 PM #17
      nothing above mk3 will clear 14s

remember truck fitment is different. Tires flush with flairs means you need a lot of clearance.

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 03:15 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by etta gli View Post
      nothing above mk3 will clear 14s

remember truck fitment is different. Tires flush with flairs means you need a lot of clearance.
      tru that.. not looking good for the rims lol. 2.0 brakes should clear 14's plenty of mk3 rims are 14"
      I'm on here way too much

Vehicles
      '11 Golf TDI
      04-30-2012 03:15 PM #19
      What's so different on the front of a truck?
      Our mk6

oldskoolvw.com

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 03:17 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by GTrabbIt View Post
      nothing the rear is im sure
      I'm on here way too much

Vehicles
      '11 Golf TDI
      04-30-2012 03:17 PM #21
      Same wheels with 155/50s on a rabbit - no flares

Our mk6

oldskoolvw.com

Vehicles
      '11 Golf TDI
      04-30-2012 03:19 PM #22
      More pics here
      Our mk6

oldskoolvw.com

Vehicles
      '11 Golf TDI
      04-30-2012 03:28 PM #23
      14x6.5 et6, the front lip is flush, maybe a couple mm poke (if that), but with my 185/60s it's hard to see the lips. And I have flares.
      Trucks are different. That would look like ass on a rabbit.
      remember truck fitment is different.
      Quote Originally Posted by jagerauto View Post
      nothing the rear is im sure
      Exactly. I'm only talking about the front.
      Our mk6

oldskoolvw.com

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 03:34 PM #24
      Called motorsport tech (adapt tec) and they have a 1pc plug style adapter that accomodates for the overlapping of the one lug hole. $375 shipped all 4. 18mm thick. I think it might do.

I'm on here way too much

Vehicles
      '11 Golf TDI
      05-01-2012 12:45 AM #25
      Sounds like it would work for what you're after Just need to space the rear 10-15mm depending on measurements
      Our mk6

oldskoolvw.com