Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2001 auto tranny questions

Vehicles
      88 Triple white cabby,87 16v gti,91 jetta auto, 96 jetta 2.0l, 97 jetta 2.0, 99.5 jetta 2.0
      04-29-2012 12:58 AM #1
      My cousins car is throwing 2 codes
      00652 gear monitoring
      01192 torque converter mechanical malfunction.

I am not familiar with these codes, has anyone else had them. If so did you just replace the torque converter and did that fix it?

When she is going 70mph it will drop down to 40 with the gas still applied.
      Last edited by SenorBrandon; 04-29-2012 at 01:01 AM.

2. 04-29-2012 10:26 AM #2
      I'm haven't had the pleasure of working on one of these transmissions (yet ), but torque converters are very simple.

There are only a couple things that can go wrong with them.

1) There isn't enough oil pressure (low fluid/plugged filter usually, but internal leakage/bad pump are possible as well)
      2) The TCC solenoid isn't working (This will generate alot of heat at highway speeds, heat kills autos)
      3) There really is a mechanical issue (broken/bent vanes inside tc, completely worn out clutches in tranny etc)

If it drives fine to begin with, and loses power over time, which is resolved by turning the car off for a couple minutes, its likely a filter plugging when the tranny oil pump is on.

Looking at mine I don't see any way you could easily check the fluid level. Someone that knows more about these cars would have to help you there.

If the TCC solenoid isn't working, its easy to tell. Overdrive won't be able to engage. And you will likely see some pretty bad fuel economy.

If a torque converter itself fails, its not unusual to need a full transmission rebuild as well. They tend to throw out metal shavings as they fail which damage other components, and plug the filter starving the transmission of fluid (and lubrication). By the time the average person has it looked at (usually when the car stops moving), far too much damage has been done just to replace the torque converter.

Vehicles
      88 Triple white cabby,87 16v gti,91 jetta auto, 96 jetta 2.0l, 97 jetta 2.0, 99.5 jetta 2.0
      05-14-2012 02:21 AM #3
      Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I appreciate all that! Her overdrive still works. I think im going to pick her up a new transmission and get a new torque converter. Maybe just for the piece of mind. I hope. That was alot of great information and very easy to understand. Thank you again!