Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: beginner RC

Vehicles
      99.5 VW Golf
      04-29-2012 02:40 PM #1
      looking to buy my first RC, anything specific i should be looking at?

Vehicles
      13 abarth//90 325iS//20-speed roadie
      04-30-2012 01:37 PM #2
      I love my traxxas slash VXL. it can take the abuse that a newbie like myself might put I through. whatever you decide to go with, there's probably plenty of YouTube videos that you can use as testimonials.

3. 04-30-2012 10:32 PM #3
      x2 (slash)
      They take a beating and are very simple to fix. They're also very upgradeable.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      B5 Audi A4 BT, B5.5 Passat, Mk1 sleeper, Goat
      05-01-2012 10:56 AM #4
      X3 for the slash.

My dads buddies all have them and I went over to talk about my car mods (my real one) and they all started racing their RC trucks. So Saturday I put up half the price with my dad for the slash. Drove it once, then the next day, talked my dad into giving me my money back and went out and bought myself one haha. And he also bought my brother one too! So in one weekend we dropped over a grand on 3 traxcas slash trucks. So much fun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      '01 Tahoe, '12 3, 92 jetta
      05-03-2012 12:09 AM #5
      x4 on the slash.

Upgradable enough to be fun for me, durable enough to survive my 5yo.

Vehicles
      99.5 VW Golf
      05-03-2012 04:25 AM #6
      haha just saw the price, pricey hobby ! maybe in the future, they all seem like solid RC's

Vehicles
      VW: Fox, Passat Trucks: f350, 2500hd Other: J body
      05-03-2012 10:21 AM #7
      The hobby can become expensive, but it does provide a ton of fun.

Ill jump in and vote for the 2wd Slash as well, but I am also a big fan of all the Traxxas variants of that platform with the Magnum 272 transmission: Grave Digger, Rustler, Bandit, Stampede, Slash. Differences between the trucks are limited to chassis, steering, suspension lengths, and wheel sizes, but are all virtually the same truck in design (you can come up with some cool rigs by swapping parts in this platform). Awesome trucks for the money. Huge aftermarket support, durability that is unbeatable, inexpensive and readily available replacement parts. Perfect first truck.

The slash is a great handling rig, but if you have plans on just all out bashing, the Stampede may be worth looking at as the larger tires and ground clearance will allow you to run in tall grass and negotiate rough terrain the slash can not handle. Stampede is very stable and forgiving in the handling department; asier to run but for that you give up the responsive, tight handling the slash offers… its all a trade off.

If you go this route at some point, (irrgardless of the truck) invest in Caster blocks, arms, shock towers, bumper, and bearing blocks from RPM products (and suspension pins from Lunsford) makes for an almost indestructible vehicle. Then down the road steel trans out drives, alu steering components, upgraded shocks, etc. Save the money; RC does not hold its value well, search the RC forums, Ebay, Craigslist etc and pick up a used truck. Most have extra batteries and some upgraded parts, just like a new car let the first owner take the hit.

The xl5 versions are great bang for the buck, just gear reasonably and watch motor temps.. 550 12t will loose its brushes when over heated. The VXL 3s with a lipo is where it’s at as far as performance is concerned.

Vehicles
      1996 VW GTI, 2005 Forester XT
      05-04-2012 08:12 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo_mk3 View Post
      haha just saw the price, pricey hobby ! maybe in the future, they all seem like solid RC's
      Craigslist. OR even better, RCtech.net

The slash is very straightforward, so easy to make sure you get a good used one. I've seen VXL ready to run go for under $150. Batteries from gens ace and the thunder AC6 charger and you're good to go.

But yeah, don't trick yourself into thinking its inexpensive, they're still cars. But, like a good car, once you get through the initial investment, they can be very cheap to run (with my slash, I probably average 4+ days before having to re-invest ~$7 in parts for another 4-10hours of fun).
      Shutup and drive yo cah'!

Vehicles
      2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited
      05-24-2012 04:53 PM #9
      How is it no one has asked the OP what he is hoping to do with his RC vehicle? I like the slash, but maybe the OP doesnt live anywhere near and dirt track and is limited to driving around in grass, the Slash sucks at that. Maybe he has no interest in driving off road and wants an on road car. Maybe he's one of those weirdo's that likes rock crawling... (just messing with you guys!)

So OP what is it your wanting out of an RC car? On-road or off, racing, bashing, speed, electric, nitro, big, small...?

10. Geriatric Member VegasJetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      89 Helios GLI, 01 XJ 4.0, 99 Forester Syncro, 87 Honda TRX250, 82 Honda UrbEx, 85 Honda ATC70
      06-07-2012 11:45 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by MRA3S View Post
      How is it no one has asked the OP what he is hoping to do with his RC vehicle? I like the slash, but maybe the OP doesnt live anywhere near and dirt track and is limited to driving around in grass, the Slash sucks at that. Maybe he has no interest in driving off road and wants an on road car. Maybe he's one of those weirdo's that likes rock crawling... (just messing with you guys!)

So OP what is it your wanting out of an RC car? On-road or off, racing, bashing, speed, electric, nitro, big, small...?
      Weirdo, eh?
      I have all kinds of cars and variations. 2 Slash 2wd, 1 Slash VXL 2wd (my fastest one, does around 65mph, hard to not break...), Slash 4x4, Stampede VXL, Nitro S-maxx, RC10T2, Rustler, MRC Ironman (never been run!), Gelande D90 Crawler, Blackfoot III, OG Frog, and now a brand new 1988 Kyosho Ultima. Also on the way is a Kyosho Maxxum FF (look that one up!) and an original Blackfoot.

I started out with a basic 2wd slash and have worked my way up to what you see listed above. It went from one car that was all new to me, to everyone in the area coming to me for parts, advice, and service, all within a year.
      Buy my Helios Jetta 16V GLi. Do it.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksSenseOfRejection
      Here's a fun fact: if someone is hitting you with a metal pipe, stay down.

Vehicles
      06-07-2012 01:48 PM #11
      hell of an addiction, Vegas! started wit the slash VXL 2WD, then had to have an axial SCX10 and just recently bought an associated T4.1. all within the last 2 months. I think I'll get a touring car and be done with it. I hope.

12. Geriatric Member VegasJetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      89 Helios GLI, 01 XJ 4.0, 99 Forester Syncro, 87 Honda TRX250, 82 Honda UrbEx, 85 Honda ATC70
      06-08-2012 11:09 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by bora.the.explora View Post
      hell of an addiction, Vegas! started wit the slash VXL 2WD, then had to have an axial SCX10 and just recently bought an associated T4.1. all within the last 2 months. I think I'll get a touring car and be done with it. I hope.
      No you won't. That's essentially how I started. I haven't finished yet, that's a FACT.
      Here's a link to all mine
      http://s1258.photobucket.com/albums/...eps/RC%20Cars/
      I just wanted one to bash around the yard. Then I got two, and my wife loved it. Then it spiraled out of control.
      I got two more cars yesterday, they are on the way here. So to the OP: BE CAREFUL. IT NEVER ENDS!

13. 06-08-2012 12:32 PM #13
      Vegas is right! I started with a Nitro. Got frustrated with it and sold it. Bought a short course truck with a brushless system and it was over. My current RC count is about 22. That includes 1/24 scale to 1/8 scale, tanks, planes, helis, etc. It's one *ell fo a drug! haha. But, it keeps me out of trouble. I've been building plastic models since I was 9 so building, tinkering and customizing is what I enjoy. RC just makes it that much more fun! My most current is a Tamiya Unimog. Crazy since I have like 5 other projects i'm in the middle of and about 6 new bodies I have yet to paint. So yeah, it never ends.

14. Geriatric Member VegasJetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      06-08-2012 02:10 PM #14
      ^^ This guy is worse than me.
      I just dug into my Slash 4x4, it's all foreign to me. Learning process: started

Vehicles
      06-08-2012 05:41 PM #15
      daredvl2b, CC01 or CR01? I was very tempted to pick one up a CR off Craig's but talked myself into putting some of that money into the SCX10 instead.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit S(low), 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium
      06-18-2012 07:37 PM #16
      I miss my T-Maxx and had just recently been thinking about getting back into it and picking up a Slash. Good to see so much praise for the truck.
      Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Vehicles
      06-19-2012 01:33 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by SAPJetta View Post
      I miss my T-Maxx and had just recently been thinking about getting back into it and picking up a Slash. Good to see so much praise for the truck.
      it's a great truck and i can beat the hell out of it and it asks for more...but it handles like crap in stock form. the thing is, i didn't know that it handled like crap until i bought an associated RC10T4.1. but, now that upgraded my springs to losi greens and blues and put heavier weight oil in my shocks, it handles pretty awesome for what it is and i love it that much more again.

18. 06-19-2012 02:54 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by bora.the.explora View Post
      daredvl2b, CC01 or CR01? I was very tempted to pick one up a CR off Craig's but talked myself into putting some of that money into the SCX10 instead.
      I bought the CC-01 version thru Tamiya USA site. They were actually clearing out the Touareg CC-01 for $107. I get an e-mail from them 2 days later stating the Touareg was out of stock. BUT, the very same day I got that e-mail, Tamiya sends me another e-mail saying they would offer the Unimog for the same deal. Umm, *ell yes!!!! that has been put on hold waiting for the upgrades coming in the mail. Middle of converting my TC-4 from a drifter back to a road car, converting an old Kyosho Ultima mid to a rally car, Finishing up building an e-revo brushless and painting a new body for it tonight along with a new body I have for my Stampede 4x4. Good times....

Vehicles
      06-19-2012 06:47 PM #19
      lucky! I saw that deal, too...after it was over.

really disappointed that I didn't pick it up. it's a really great looking kit.

20. 07-07-2012 07:50 AM #20
      I would rather like to say that as for a beginner there are too much options, even those in which he may get confused. There are two options. A beginner should always try out for the branded RC stuffs and secondly just Google out the best one of them. Too much options will be very overwhelming.