Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Scirocco fuel system Dialysis

Hybrid View

Vehicles
      84 Scirocco, 13 Prius C, 94 beige Camry!
      04-29-2012 01:51 PM #1
      A few weeks ago, I removed my car's transfer pump screen, cleaned it, and put it back into the tank.

As it turns out, the fell out when I put it back into the tank. The pump sucked all the rusty gook out of the tank and sent it into the fuel system. A few weeks later, my car started running on two cylinders.

A flow test of the injectors led me to discover that the injector's pickup screens were clogged with crap.

obviously, most Scirocco fuel injectors do not look like this, but CIS injectors are the same, they also have a screen in them. Note the clog.

So I removed the fuel filter. That bucket was white. All of the black stuff came out of the filter.

I cut it open, and saw bad things:

Time to flush the fuel system. First, I wanted to flush the feed side to clean all of the pumps. I put in a clear plastic 5/16" carburator fuel filter, and ran the hose back into the fuel tank. I ran the pump for more than an hour like this.

Here's the crap I collected:

Then I put a new fuel injection fuel filter in (not clear) and hooked the fuel rail back up. I pressurized the fuel system, and let that run for another hour. You can't use a clear plastic filter for this because the fuel pressure regulator runs the system at 43psi, more than the max 8psi of the fuel filter.

I soaked the fuel injectors in a tray full of SeaFoam overnight.

All is well now!

Moral of the story: CHANGE YOUR FUEL FILTERS!

Vehicles
      2013 Porsche Carrera 4S, 2004 Aprilia Scarabeo 500, 1988 VW Scirocco
      04-29-2012 02:14 PM #2
      need to change that tank out sooner or later.

Vehicles
      1992 GTI (Daily), 1977 Scirocco 16vT Hillclimb, 1979 Scirocco, 1988 Scirocco 16v, 1972 CB350
      04-29-2012 02:45 PM #3
      Nice write up! I will have to do that line flush system on all my cars!
      Quote Originally Posted by george.redinger View Post
      Brain stools are brain farts gone wrong.
      I clean CIS injectors
      Scirocco Build

Scirocco Trailer Build

Vehicles
      1984.5 Rocco, 1987 Rocco 16v
      04-29-2012 03:19 PM #4
      WOW!!!......I can only imagine if CIS, where all that crap would have packed in, in the fuel distributor..........
      My '84.5 hasn't run in a while, spark but no fuel, and this summer I've gotta check the transfer pump and syphon the tank, and flush like you did.....
      ....and I HATE BANJO FITTINGS!!!
      "If you're not the lead dog, the view is always the same...."

"Red Gloves Rule!!!".......99 Greg Moore

04-29-2012 04:03 PM #5
      Check the filler tube as well.

6. 04-29-2012 05:57 PM #6
      30 sec gestalt leads to the following TiMob Tip feedback:

- Kudos for not only finding solutions but documenting and sharing. <--My main point.

- Disclaimer about "this stuff likes to burn, be car-fuel".

- Jumpering around Fuel Pump Relay (w/ in-line fuse).

- Importance of not running a dry pump; (fuel is a cooling agent in it's design.)

- Q. When the system was Dialysis -izing, did you do any jumping up and down on the bumper, rocking or tilting of the car/tank to gather more debris to pick up tube?

I understand you already know most all of my recollects and brainstorming, so I've not spelled it out in detail- but I'm also thinking, while your audience includes old salts who can fill in the gaps, there are going to be folks who haven't yet gained a clue and rely on a bit more grout to go along w/ the tiles.

This is not a critical review, this is an suggestive and encouraging reply.

Peas.
      TBerk

Vehicles
      84 Scirocco, 13 Prius C, 94 beige Camry!
      04-30-2012 10:21 PM #7
      More different Dialysis now. The fuel system is clean, and all filters are new. The tank is still full of junk.

I bought a cheap carburator electric fuel pump, and more filters. I used the rubber fuel hose in the tank to go all around and suck up everything I could into the filters.

See the inside of the tank. it's pretty bad in this car:

You may recall that I did the transfer pump in Becky's car recently - look at her car's tank. CLEAN: http://www.timbox.net/Link/2012/03-2...p_fueltank.jpg

I ruined several fuel filters. Finally I let the pump run for about 5 hours, filtering and filtering the tank over and over again.

8. 05-01-2012 12:16 AM #8
      MuHAhahahaha....

Vehicles
      1983 Wolfsburg Scirocco [Luna], '70 GMC Pickup, '76 Mustang Cobra II, '92 SVX, '95 Millenia
      05-01-2012 02:10 AM #9
      Where did you get the pump? (link/price?)

I can always use cheap pumps.