Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: ODB1 and ODB2 differences

1. Member
      Vehicles
      03' Gt30r Evo- STM tuned-Sold,, 97' windsor Vr jetta and 2jz 240sx- my life savings
      04-29-2012 02:53 PM #1
      hey fella's i bought a longblock from someone and they told me it was a odb2 longblock converted to ob1. well after looking when i got the motor home its a complete Odb1 motor and it needs to go into a 97(odb2).

So what am i going to need to do to make it run correctly without check engine lights and whatnot? It appears the Od1 head doesn't have a port for a SAI pump? i suppose i can buy the chip to delete it for my Odb2 computer so i dont have inspection issues. any help would be great. thanks,kyle

2. Member
      04-29-2012 05:38 PM #2
      There's a post in this forum's FAQ thread (ahem) labeled "OBD1 vs OBD2" that might help you. Also, if you search thread titles in this forum (ahem again) for "obd1 difference", you will get dozens of threads, some of which will certainly be helpful.
      Kenji

Vehicles
      Mk2 GTI VR6... .......................Mk5 Rabbit 2.5
      04-29-2012 06:30 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Kenji View Post
      There's a post in this forum's FAQ thread (ahem) labeled "OBD1 vs OBD2" that might help you. Also, if you search thread titles in this forum (ahem again) for "obd1 difference", you will get dozens of threads, some of which will certainly be helpful.
      This. Not trying to be a smart ass, but this has been covered MANY times.
      /// VRSociety Member #298 /// bankrupt ///

4. 04-29-2012 07:32 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Kadams29 View Post
      hey fella's i bought a longblock from someone and they told me it was a odb2 longblock converted to ob1. well after looking when i got the motor home its a complete Odb1 motor and it needs to go into a 97(odb2).

So what am i going to need to do to make it run correctly without check engine lights and whatnot? It appears the Od1 head doesn't have a port for a SAI pump? i suppose i can buy the chip to delete it for my Odb2 computer so i dont have inspection issues. any help would be great. thanks,kyle
      If this is a distributor ignition system engine then there will not be a secondary air system. If this OBD 1 engine has a coil pack then it should have a secondary air port and passages ways in the cylinder head.

Vehicles
      New 04 pd100 Old setup 94 JTI Vrt 60-1 .58ar exh obd2 440 racefile 20psi/meth
      04-29-2012 09:07 PM #5
      Coming soon 4dr pd golf on air dipped blue with hitch racks and skid. Real work horse
      Automatic cause shifting short ratio sucks

Vehicles
      Mk2 GTI VR6... .......................Mk5 Rabbit 2.5
      04-29-2012 10:22 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Peter Badore View Post
      If this is a distributor ignition system engine then there will not be a secondary air system. If this OBD 1 engine has a coil pack then it should have a secondary air port and passages ways in the cylinder head.
      SAI is just one possible difference, but really has nothing to do with OBD1 vs 2 as SAI can be present on either

The guy needs to search, so please just stop posting.
      /// VRSociety Member #298 /// bankrupt ///

7. Member
      Vehicles
      03' Gt30r Evo- STM tuned-Sold,, 97' windsor Vr jetta and 2jz 240sx- my life savings
      04-30-2012 12:13 AM #7
      Yea i did enough research that i think i can make my motor work correctly. Also, the head thats on this motor i purchased DOES not have a SAI port.. So thats why i was so confused because i thought they all had the port in the head. But im going to throw a new set of cams in so i might as well run one of the c2 Files so it'll just delete the SAI so i dont have inspection issues.

Thanks fella's for the help.