Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: My GIAC ECU flash attempt...

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 CC Sport DSG in White Gold and 1972 MB 280SEL
      04-29-2012 02:16 PM #1
      So I finally have the time to get my car flashed. After much reading, debate, hymming and hawing, I decided to go with GIAC a while back. I live in the Pheonix area, and there is only 1 dealer in the state.

Friday, I make the appointment and leave work early. During the phone conversation, the guy (I think hes one of the owners) says he would like to be paid in cash....The money takes a while to get into his account if its from a card...not to mention his fees. I told him I would see what I could do.
      I left work early and arrived. I had a chance to get 300 cash from the ATM at work and told him I would pay the rest on the card. He kind of frowned on that a little, and made it clear that cash is preferred. He was never rude or anything, but it just made me feel like he wasnt in a good position from a business standpoint.
      I had a few minutes till the car before me was complete, so I went to the bank a few miles away. On my way back to the shop, he called me and said they dont have some sort of adapter to flash my car. He could have it shipped overnight, and maybe I could have it flashed on Monday (last day of sale). At this point I have to admit I was both disappointed, and relieved. Little red flags were popping up throughout this process, but this last one was big. I guess it just makes me feel like they are somewhat of a fly-by-night operation.

My question is, would any one else feel like I shouldnt go back? My other option is APR, and as I have learned...is probably a lateral move....
      So as of now, I feel like I should just pre-pay the APR dealer for the sale that ends on Monday and have it done. I know they are somewhat reputable, and have always been very nice on the phone...and in person a year ago when I went in to have them check my ECU numbers.

Just like to hear what you guys think...THANKS!

Vehicles
      14 Lexus GS350 F-Sport, 11 Touareg Sport, 11 328i
      04-29-2012 02:23 PM #2
      Any reputable shop should take credit no questions asked. I would not go back to that shop. What if you have issues? Doesn't sound like they would step up to the plate if anything happens. I would get the APR.

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Sport 2.0T 6M
      04-29-2012 03:41 PM #3
      take your money and run to the nearest apr dealer.
      Island Gray Metallic 2010 CC Sport 2.0T 6M, APR Stage1, R-Line Sport Pedals, HTTRS-256-MA:M
      235/35/19 Hankook Ventus V12 K110's, Borla CBE, Koni ss coilover kit, Adams slotted/drilled rotors, with Stop Tech pads.

Vehicles
      C7 A6 2.0T, C5 A6 Avant 3.0
      04-29-2012 04:27 PM #4
      ^^ This! Too many red flags IMHO.
      2013 A7 3.0T Quattro
      2007 A6 Avant 3.2 Quattro (For Sale) |

Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line Black 6MT
      04-29-2012 06:24 PM #5
      Run - honestly that is why I went APR. Called a couple GIAC dealers and they all gave me the willies. The APR dealer was awesome...day and night difference.

The the potential 2-5 extra HP you MIGHT get with GIAC it is not worth it...GO APR!
      MODS: APR Stage 1 Flash | APR Carbonio Stage 1 CAI | 35% Tint All Around | EuroSwitch | 4,550K Hi/Lo Beams | Nokya Hyper Yellow Fog Bulbs | Blacked Out Front Turns | H&K 24MM RSB | BFI Torque Arm Insert Stage 1
      FUTURE MODS: Rear Fog | Lots of Vag-Com Work (DRL, FOB Windows, Auto Rain Up) | Forge Short Shift Kit | Coil Overs | Stage III or K04

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC R-line, 2012 GLI Autobahn
      04-29-2012 06:29 PM #6
      Is this tunning gruppe? I think they are the only GIAC dealer in the phoenix area or the state for that matter. As far as the experience if your unhappy with the way you are treated your not obligated to take your car there.

Ill just leave this here for some reading if it is. Below that is a quote from nick on here from audizine. He's the one with the read S4 now. Given the experience with this topic above me, lack of insurance, and the way you were treated thus far i'd probably look to goodspeed or a revo dealer.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t-help-WARNING!!

"Does TuningGruppe carry insurance now? I remember they used to not, and a horror story involving a Jim's big turbo TT blowing an engine while supposedly under their watch."
      2010 CC R-line. 5% tint, Euro Clear Corners,ST Coilovers, Whiteline Adjustable Endlinks, Led interior lights, Apr Stage 1 Carbonio Intake, R8 Coilpacks, Hoen lights, BrakePerformance Rotors, EBC Red Pads
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn- APR Stage Intake, Cree LED DRL, Hoen lights, ST Coilovers,AWE TOP, VMR V710 Wheels, Gloss Black Roof Wrap

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 CC Lux, B8 S4
      04-29-2012 06:32 PM #7
      That sounds shady as hell.

Give Goodspeed in Scottsdale a call, I had them flash my wife's CC. They were nothing less than professional.

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Sport (MT)
      04-29-2012 08:59 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk878 View Post
      That sounds shady as hell.

Give Goodspeed in Scottsdale a call, I had them flash my wife's CC. They were nothing less than professional.
      +1 and I shipped my ecu to them

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
      2010 VW CC Sport (Manual) | Stage 1 APR Tune | St Coil-overs | VW 19" Concept Wheels | Neuspeed SSK

Vehicles
      Stage 2 CC
      04-29-2012 09:04 PM #9
      " says he would like to be paid in cash....The money takes a while to get into his account if its from a card...not to mention his fees. I told him I would see what I could do."

Right there I would be outty.

I love giac.. Maybe bc I have a great dealer in my area. It's been dead reliable for me.
      And a total beast on the road.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      04-29-2012 11:04 PM #10
      Ugh, I hear you guys. I felt like I should run too, but was battling the WANT to get the tune done. I was actually wierdly relieved when he called saying the tune couldnt be done that day. Part of me was really annoyed too....I took time off work, and ran around getting him cash.

So thanks for all the advice! Im taking my money to Goodspeed for APR (since there is only 1 GIAC dealer in AZ ). It will cost a little more, but well worth it for Piece of mind...

Goodbye Tuning Gruppe.....Hellooooooo Goodspeed!

Thanks again guys!

11. Member
      Vehicles
      04-29-2012 11:06 PM #11
      Thanks DJ for the good info....Im not surprised at all!

Quote Originally Posted by dj_cronic_metal View Post
      Is this tunning gruppe? I think they are the only GIAC dealer in the phoenix area or the state for that matter. As far as the experience if your unhappy with the way you are treated your not obligated to take your car there.

Ill just leave this here for some reading if it is. Below that is a quote from nick on here from audizine. He's the one with the read S4 now. Given the experience with this topic above me, lack of insurance, and the way you were treated thus far i'd probably look to goodspeed or a revo dealer.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t-help-WARNING!!

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 11:07 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by jkeith72 View Post
      Thanks DJ for the good info....Im not surprised at all!
      Just looking out for ya man Let me know how it goes with getting your reflash done and how the power is. I know Rob loves it enough he wants me to drive his car so I get the bug.
      2010 CC R-line. 5% tint, Euro Clear Corners,ST Coilovers, Whiteline Adjustable Endlinks, Led interior lights, Apr Stage 1 Carbonio Intake, R8 Coilpacks, Hoen lights, BrakePerformance Rotors, EBC Red Pads
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn- APR Stage Intake, Cree LED DRL, Hoen lights, ST Coilovers,AWE TOP, VMR V710 Wheels, Gloss Black Roof Wrap

13. Member
      Vehicles
      04-29-2012 11:21 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by dj_cronic_metal View Post
      Just looking out for ya man Let me know how it goes with getting your reflash done and how the power is. I know Rob loves it enough he wants me to drive his car so I get the bug.

I will do that! I will me paying for the tune tomorrow, just so I can get the sale. Probably schedule it for later in the week if they have an opening. I have heard only good things about them, so I feel relatively safe letting them do the work.

So does the APR tune take some time to "adjust" to your driving before it delivers full power? Maybe I will spring for a before and after dyno pull if it would be appropriate...

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 12:10 AM #14
      I will do that! I will me paying for the tune tomorrow, just so I can get the sale. Probably schedule it for later in the week if they have an opening. I have heard only good things about them, so I feel relatively safe letting them do the work.

So does the APR tune take some time to "adjust" to your driving before it delivers full power? Maybe I will spring for a before and after dyno pull if it would be appropriate...
      I can tell you they build some monster cars as i've experienced first hand driving down the road. That being said I think even myself would feel more comfortable there than at tg. As far as the power adjustment you'll have to ask someone i'm honestly not to sure. Also while you are there even though i'm sure they will do it make sure you mention for them to reseal your ecm with the oem glue that vw uses to prevent moisture issues not that we would have any of those problems out here.

Vehicles
      Stage 2 CC
      04-30-2012 06:22 AM #15
      All tunes take some time to adapt all depending on your driving habits.
      Pushing the car a bit after the flash will help it adapt more quickly.. But roughly speaking anywhere from the 30-50 miles is when you'll feel the new adaptation.

For me.. I drove home about 10 miles.. Next day drove 25 to work.. 25 back... But the 2nd full day on the ride into work is when I was really taken back.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      05-04-2012 12:48 PM #16
      I'm at Goodspeed waiting for my car now. Hoping it goes well!!

Vehicles
      2013 GLI Autobahn - APR K04
      05-04-2012 01:04 PM #17
      I'm at Goodspeed waiting for my car now. Hoping it goes well!!
      Are you meeting up with DJ and myself at Cars and Coffee tomorrow morning?
      Ich habe nur hochwertige Teile für mein Auto!

Vehicles
      05-04-2012 01:42 PM #18
      You know you want to before you go back to cali

19. Member
      Vehicles
      05-04-2012 08:12 PM #19
      I'm actually back in AZ full time again...finally. 3 long years away from home n family really sucked!!

So the flash went well! Goodspeed was top notch, as advertised. Mason was very friendly and helpful. His M3 was soooo sweet. 2012 with a Vortech blower....I need to win the lottery!

So my first Impressions of the flash are good. The increase in power was felt immediately, but I look forward to more as it adjusts. As Mason mentioned, my DSG is a bit more quirky while it adjusts as well. Next week will be telling for sure. I have not really done a full throttle start yet. Too much traffic at lights, and I don't wanna be that douchebag who lights up tires...only to get the stink eye at the next light. I did gass it at around 45-50 and the power is VERY strong! I was at 80 in no time,and that's not good in a 45 zone. More fun to come with time and less traffic!

As for meeting up, I would love to...but my son has flag football that takes up my whole Saturday morning. Maybe another time? Would love to meet you guys!

Vehicles
      2013 GLI Autobahn - APR K04
      05-04-2012 08:22 PM #20
      I'm actually back in AZ full time again...finally. 3 long years away from home n family really sucked!!

So the flash went well! Goodspeed was top notch, as advertised. Mason was very friendly and helpful. His M3 was soooo sweet. 2012 with a Vortech blower....I need to win the lottery!

So my first Impressions of the flash are good. The increase in power was felt immediately, but I look forward to more as it adjusts. As Mason mentioned, my DSG is a bit more quirky while it adjusts as well. Next week will be telling for sure. I have not really done a full throttle start yet. Too much traffic at lights, and I don't wanna be that douchebag who lights up tires...only to get the stink eye at the next light. I did gass it at around 45-50 and the power is VERY strong! I was at 80 in no time,and that's not good in a 45 zone. More fun to come with time and less traffic!

As for meeting up, I would love to...but my son has flag football that takes up my whole Saturday morning. Maybe another time? Would love to meet you guys!
      You'll really enjoy it and Mason is so knowledgeable and his M is sooo bad! The GS guys are top notch all the way!

We’ll have to meet up some other time.
      Ich habe nur hochwertige Teile für mein Auto!