Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1969 Deluxe Project....A New England Bay.

Vehicles
      83 Rabbit, 82 caddy, 92 GTI, 1969 Bay Window.
      04-29-2012 02:26 PM #1
      Well I finally got an old bay that I have been chasing around for about a month. It doesn't run at the moment but it will very soon. Plans for now are going through the brakes and cleaning the interior. I have to get a parts list going for the motor.

This is where she has been sitting.

Me and my cousin flat towed it back to his house. It is on a trailer now. I just have to get a buddy with a pickup truck to tow it.

The hinges for the hood rusted off so the deck is inside it.

I can't wait to get this beast on the road. Stay tuned for updates.

Vehicles
      1965 type 1 chassis car,1971 super beetle,2006 GMC crew cab Duramax,'04 mustang GT
      04-29-2012 08:49 PM #2
      let me know if you need anything for the old dirty girl!!

dude i want that "deluxe" trim!!!....aint seen that it a while.
      www.401restos.com

Quit your complaining and do it right!!!

3. 04-29-2012 09:12 PM #3
      goooood luck. the owner of that bus wanted to put it back together. i drove out to see it and holy schit was it rusty. after seeing the abortion performed on the frame/torsion tube i told him to sell it. not an impossible fix, but you better bring your A game to that fight. i pulled my 70 single cab off the road because of the same issue that bus has. ask schell, i'm no stranger to rust, but that bus had some horrific repairs done to a very crucial area of a bus.

the gusset on the passenger side of the tube was the frosting on the cake.

honestly, good luck. i really liked the bus. john was a super cool guy too. here is what you have to look forward to

seeing i have been down that road before, i would be willing to bet the tube is paper thin....

if you are in need, i have a 78 bus that is super clean in the frame area, its a rolling shell, but i would be willing to sell the whole bus to you cheap if you need it for the rear frame section
      Last edited by skills@eurocarsplus; 04-29-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 07:01 AM #4
      Thanks for the replies. I saw those rusted areas. I have a welder and went to NEIT for auto body. It will be a challenge but it can be done. This isn't half as rusty as my rabbit pickup was. I will have it back at my house tonight. I have to borrow a big truck to tow it. I'll take some more pictures once it is back here. The main reason I wanted this was because it is very complete.

Vehicles
      1965 type 1 chassis car,1971 super beetle,2006 GMC crew cab Duramax,'04 mustang GT
      04-30-2012 08:30 AM #5
      ...dude just blast those sections and box em in with frame stock from Kozella's in Coventry...yeah it won't be stock for the *** vw purist but it'll get you rollin...but like skill's says...you better go inn big or go home...blast it with a prota blaster dude and this will let you know where your at.
      www.401restos.com

6. 04-30-2012 08:40 AM #6
      cut out those rear sections and go narrow. really narrow

the outside looks fantastic, i really hope you can get the rust underneath taken care of

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 09:41 AM #7
      Thanks Schell and Steaksauce! I am super pumped to get on this thing. That spot will be one of the first things to get addressed. I was already thinking of boxing it up. I'll have to go through your thread again Saucy to check out this narrowedness.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      mk2 gti,mk3 jetta, mk1 cabriolet, 68 bay window
      04-30-2012 01:18 PM #8
      rad another new england early bay owner!

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 01:55 PM #9
      Hell yeah! I saw your thread last week. New England likes to take our VW's, chew them up, and spit them out.

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 06:24 PM #10
      not to mention the previous owners who butcher the s--t pout of em and and still want big money when they go to sell em.

now try and get a guy to spend what it takes to do it right,on time and oh he want it at a lower cost than the other guy.

saw another bus today in richmond on some dudes trailer looked like this one too!!
      www.401restos.com

11. 04-30-2012 07:00 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by DurtyDaily View Post
      Thanks Schell and Steaksauce! I am super pumped to get on this thing. That spot will be one of the first things to get addressed. I was already thinking of boxing it up. I'll have to go through your thread again Saucy to check out this narrowedness.
      feel free to hit me up with questions

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 08:54 PM #12
      HAHA Schell it was my bus on that trailer. It was at my cousins house till I could get a trailer tonight. Now she is tucked away in the garage. I will start work on it tomorrow night.

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 08:57 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by A1steaksauce View Post
      feel free to hit me up with questions
      I appreciate that offer and I will definatly take you up on it.

14. 04-30-2012 09:33 PM #14
      good luck with the bus. i was going to buy it for parts, but john seemed to think you were going to put some life back in her.

i am at a point in life where i would rather pay the big coin for minimal rust. i like doing rust work, but that bus was a little too ambitious for me.

i put the nose together on this turd for a friend

if you get in a jam, let me know. i'm the early bay king i have tons of cut away pix of how a early bay goes together.

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 10:29 PM #15
      Nice nose job! I have wanted a bay for a long time. I didn't have a ton of money to spend but it is very complete. Yes she is very crunchy and rusty but she will see the road again. I appreciate all the offering of help and I will be picking everyone's brain soon.
      Thanks again!

16. Member
      05-02-2012 11:42 PM #16
      http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/pts/2942263910.html That dude John is a nice guy. He's the dude that was gonna sell me a windshield 10 months after he posted it on Samba. I saw the ass end of a bay for sale somewhere!?!?...I'll see if I can find it for ya.

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 08:15 PM #17
      that's Dave F's house durty right? went to school with him and he used to be a niegbor (?) in ashaway when i lived there...he pretty much got me started in vw's way back in the early 90's...i had a tricked out cal look '55 rag back then in sea foam gmc green

s--t you should have bought that one i gave to Skills for that matter!!! that bus was a very very nice start.
      www.401restos.com

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 09:25 PM #18
      Yup Dave is my second cousin. We are getting together to go through the motor soon.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      mk2 gti,mk3 jetta, mk1 cabriolet, 68 bay window
      05-04-2012 11:50 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by DurtyDaily View Post
      Hell yeah! I saw your thread last week. New England likes to take our VW's, chew them up, and spit them out.
      yup so true.

and awesome job on the nose repair, im being taught to weld by a hot rod builder so im hoping eventually mine comes out as well.

Vehicles
      05-05-2012 08:36 AM #20
      I went through the whole interior yesterday. It was stinking up my garage. I'll post pics of the adventures when I get back from breakfast.

Mk3junk, that's not my nose job.

Vehicles
      05-05-2012 12:59 PM #21
      I put the bus in my garage on Monday. I worked over time on Tuesday and Wednesday. When I finally got in the garage on Thursday, the whole garage stank like the bus. It was BAD. I had to clean it out. So yesterday I dug in.
      Before....

During....

The first mouse house....not too bad...smells a little bit.

Then the mouse condo.....this was when it really started to stink.....a rain mouse poops.

Headliner gone.

I rolled it outside and took my power washer to it.

Next up is cleaning the seats and stripping down the middle bench, which is in the worst shape. I'm doing to clean any rust on the floor and get a good coat of paint on there. I know there are more important things to get to, but that interior was a health hazard for sure. Smells alot cleaner too.

22. 05-05-2012 01:44 PM #22
      i see he stole your ashtray. i have a pretty clean one if you need it. have you spoken to him at all? i emailed him for a couple parts he said he had, and he hasn't emailed back. i'm getting pretty pissed seeing i wasted about 3 hours of my life looking at all of his rusty busses

shame on me for trying to be a nice guy

Vehicles
      05-05-2012 07:19 PM #23
      Yeah the ashtray disappeared. I got a new one in the mail today. I saw him yesterday. He brought me the rest of the paperwork. It takes a while for email responses from him.

24. 05-05-2012 07:22 PM #24
      funny, when he needed me it was emails and text messages out the a.ss. i won't hold my breath

Vehicles
      05-06-2012 12:01 PM #25
      Yeah, thats how it works with alot of people. Only hear from them when they need something.

I started sanding the rear deck lid. It needs some serious attention. Pics to come.

Vehicles
      05-07-2012 07:22 AM #26
      dude save your cash and bring as much as possible to Dave at coastal near chariho high school...he'll take care of you and he does a great job.

i have a 73 here,if you looking for misc bs your wlecome to take it...it was grabbed for the fromnt bumper clip and misc dash stuff....has a good trans and a non loacked type 4 motor too.
      www.401restos.com

Vehicles
      05-07-2012 08:05 PM #27
      Thanks on the offer on the 73. I'll have to swing up and see you.

28. Member
      05-07-2012 10:14 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by skills@eurocarsplus View Post
      i see he stole your ashtray. i have a pretty clean one if you need it. have you spoken to him at all? i emailed him for a couple parts he said he had, and he hasn't emailed back. i'm getting pretty pissed seeing i wasted about 3 hours of my life looking at all of his rusty busses

shame on me for trying to be a nice guy
      Took him 10 months to get back to me man....dont hold ya breath...

29. 05-08-2012 10:35 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
      Took him 10 months to get back to me man....dont hold ya breath...
      Yea...he found me on the samba and chased me around like a groupie till I looked at all 3 of his disaster busses. I told him I would do the work but when he got a price his as.s puckered up. I wasted 3+ hours of my time and gas and the prick can't return a email? I won't hunt him down and will find parts elsewhere. Can't wait till my phone rings again cuz I'm done with ol johnny boy.

Besides, he needs me more than I need him

Vehicles
      05-08-2012 11:09 AM #30
      Lets give old Johnny boy a rest. Or at least give him his own thread. I had a short vacation over the past few days. I got her all cleaned up, well as clean as you can get a turd I guess. Atleast the smell is gone. I sanded down the hood last night. Someone at some point used filler to patch rust and it bubbled through. I am waiting on some brake parts, so I can go though them so she can stop. I have been kicking around the idea of a beam raise in the front and probably going to box up the rear beam section since that is the worst spot on the bus. I'll get some pics up tonight when I get out of work.

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 08:14 PM #31
      I worked late tonight and didn't get anything big accomplished on the bus. I did run out and snap a few pics of the problem spot near the rear beam. Someone got in there between Skills picture and my purchase. They welded a steel plate to the inside of both frame rails. It is UGLY but it is surprisingly strong. I have tomorrow night to myself so I'm going out there to blast it and see what is left when I'm done. I will probably be able to square it up and box it in. Here is some nasty pics for you guys..........

This is the passenger side.

and a lousy one of the drivers side.

behind the drivers side wheel..

and passenger side..

32. 05-10-2012 08:43 AM #32
      The pic I posted was of my old single cab....not your bus. In order to fix your bus right you have tons and tons of work ahead of you.....trust me I have been there. You could cobble it together to be "safe" but when I saw that I told john to walk away. Don't feel bad all 3 of his busses looked like that.. You ended up with that bus cuz I gave him a quote to fix it and section in a whole frame piece and he about passed out.

Having done this repair 3 times now I can about guarantee the torsion tube is paper thin...rusted like an hour glass now is the time to either gear up for the long haul or bail. This is such an important piece you better bring your A game. Not trying to be Donny Downer just realistic. It is a ton of work for a bus that you can buy for 2-2500 all day long and drive home.

I decided to walk away from a single cab because of the same issue

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 10:43 AM #33
      You had me confused with that pic I got under there late last night and blasted alot of the rust off. Its actually very solid. The beam looks fine too. Who ever did the patch repair never put any kind of protective coating on it. All the rust in the pics is surface rust. The piece of metal they welded in is thicker than frame stock. I know its not a full on frame section and its ugly, but it works. Tonight I'm gonna get under there with a grinder and smooth it up. I was very surprised at how solid it was. I'll get more pics up tonight after work. It was very late when I was done so I crashed out.

Skills, thanks for all the insight. Nothing beats experience. I know I could go crazy and weld in a whole new frame section and make it all pretty, but this bus will never be a show winner or museum piece. It will be safe.

34. 05-10-2012 07:47 PM #34
      thats cool i just can't (or won't) 'patch things up' for people. i am only a stock nazi to a degree. that bus has potential for sure and i hope you get her down the road again

35. 07-06-2012 09:35 PM #35
      any updates? i have been looking for it on craigslist. yea, i'm a dick like that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast