Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1969 Deluxe Project....A New England Bay.

Vehicles
      1965 type 1 chassis car,1971 super beetle,2006 GMC crew cab Duramax,'04 mustang GT
      05-07-2012 07:22 AM #26
      dude save your cash and bring as much as possible to Dave at coastal near chariho high school...he'll take care of you and he does a great job.

i have a 73 here,if you looking for misc bs your wlecome to take it...it was grabbed for the fromnt bumper clip and misc dash stuff....has a good trans and a non loacked type 4 motor too.
      www.401restos.com

Quit your complaining and do it right!!!

Vehicles
      83 Rabbit, 82 caddy, 92 GTI, 1969 Bay Window.
      05-07-2012 08:05 PM #27
      Thanks on the offer on the 73. I'll have to swing up and see you.

3. Member
      05-07-2012 10:14 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by skills@eurocarsplus View Post
      i see he stole your ashtray. i have a pretty clean one if you need it. have you spoken to him at all? i emailed him for a couple parts he said he had, and he hasn't emailed back. i'm getting pretty pissed seeing i wasted about 3 hours of my life looking at all of his rusty busses

shame on me for trying to be a nice guy
      Took him 10 months to get back to me man....dont hold ya breath...

4. 05-08-2012 10:35 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
      Took him 10 months to get back to me man....dont hold ya breath...
      Yea...he found me on the samba and chased me around like a groupie till I looked at all 3 of his disaster busses. I told him I would do the work but when he got a price his as.s puckered up. I wasted 3+ hours of my time and gas and the prick can't return a email? I won't hunt him down and will find parts elsewhere. Can't wait till my phone rings again cuz I'm done with ol johnny boy.

Besides, he needs me more than I need him

Vehicles
      05-08-2012 11:09 AM #30
      Lets give old Johnny boy a rest. Or at least give him his own thread. I had a short vacation over the past few days. I got her all cleaned up, well as clean as you can get a turd I guess. Atleast the smell is gone. I sanded down the hood last night. Someone at some point used filler to patch rust and it bubbled through. I am waiting on some brake parts, so I can go though them so she can stop. I have been kicking around the idea of a beam raise in the front and probably going to box up the rear beam section since that is the worst spot on the bus. I'll get some pics up tonight when I get out of work.

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 08:14 PM #31
      I worked late tonight and didn't get anything big accomplished on the bus. I did run out and snap a few pics of the problem spot near the rear beam. Someone got in there between Skills picture and my purchase. They welded a steel plate to the inside of both frame rails. It is UGLY but it is surprisingly strong. I have tomorrow night to myself so I'm going out there to blast it and see what is left when I'm done. I will probably be able to square it up and box it in. Here is some nasty pics for you guys..........

This is the passenger side.

and a lousy one of the drivers side.

behind the drivers side wheel..

and passenger side..

7. 05-10-2012 08:43 AM #32
      The pic I posted was of my old single cab....not your bus. In order to fix your bus right you have tons and tons of work ahead of you.....trust me I have been there. You could cobble it together to be "safe" but when I saw that I told john to walk away. Don't feel bad all 3 of his busses looked like that.. You ended up with that bus cuz I gave him a quote to fix it and section in a whole frame piece and he about passed out.

Having done this repair 3 times now I can about guarantee the torsion tube is paper thin...rusted like an hour glass now is the time to either gear up for the long haul or bail. This is such an important piece you better bring your A game. Not trying to be Donny Downer just realistic. It is a ton of work for a bus that you can buy for 2-2500 all day long and drive home.

I decided to walk away from a single cab because of the same issue

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 10:43 AM #33
      You had me confused with that pic I got under there late last night and blasted alot of the rust off. Its actually very solid. The beam looks fine too. Who ever did the patch repair never put any kind of protective coating on it. All the rust in the pics is surface rust. The piece of metal they welded in is thicker than frame stock. I know its not a full on frame section and its ugly, but it works. Tonight I'm gonna get under there with a grinder and smooth it up. I was very surprised at how solid it was. I'll get more pics up tonight after work. It was very late when I was done so I crashed out.

Skills, thanks for all the insight. Nothing beats experience. I know I could go crazy and weld in a whole new frame section and make it all pretty, but this bus will never be a show winner or museum piece. It will be safe.

9. 05-10-2012 07:47 PM #34
      thats cool i just can't (or won't) 'patch things up' for people. i am only a stock nazi to a degree. that bus has potential for sure and i hope you get her down the road again

10. 07-06-2012 09:35 PM #35
      any updates? i have been looking for it on craigslist. yea, i'm a dick like that

11. 07-06-2012 10:12 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by skills@eurocarsplus View Post
      any updates? i have been looking for it on craigslist. yea, i'm a dick like that
      that's seriously sig material right there

12. 07-07-2012 10:20 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by A1steaksauce View Post
      that's seriously sig material right there

Vehicles
      07-19-2012 11:32 AM #38
      Still got it. I've been going through it and collecting repair panels. I have been taking pictures too. I haven't been online for a while.

14. Member
      07-19-2012 08:49 PM #40
      That popcorns gonna go stale waiting bro.

Vehicles
      07-20-2012 08:01 AM #41
      Yeah it is.

16. 07-21-2012 10:38 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
      That popcorns gonna go stale waiting bro.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12