Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a weekend :(

Vehicles
      2002 1.8t GTI
      04-29-2012 07:19 PM #1
      So yesterday was the KCH2O annual meet and greet get together. It was about a 2 hour drive there maybe 80 miles in, my tire decided give up. It blew out while I was going 75 - 80 mph. Lucky for me, there was no body in the right lane so I was able to pull over pretty quick and the actual beads are all still intact so the wheel was never really on the pavement.

not my pic

I dont know what the hell happened. The tires are brand new, and had maybe a little more than 100 miles on them since I put the wheels on last sunday. I pumped 50 psi in the tires but I doubt that was the problem. Stretch was 205/45 on a 17x8.5 so nothing too ridiculous. Even the outside tire face, the side wall is very soft so we were all assuming it was a tire failure. What do you all think? Should I call up falken or is that due to stretching? I cant complain to a tire shop since I mounted the tires my self :/

Anyways, I could have had it towed back home but that would have been $400+ so I said **** it, and carried on to the meet with hopes of borrowing someones spare (since I dont have one).

So I get there, grab someones spare and throw it on. All is well. Hang out with everyone (great meet/gathering btw) and then I fell trying to climb over a wall and scraped my leg a little bit. Shortly after, I got bit by a dog

After a few hours I decided to leave and went about 5 minutes before I had to pull over again. There was a loud scraping noise coming from the passenger front wheel well. I figured it was the wheel bearing since I heard the scraping sound every once in a while but after the tire failure, it was even worse! So just my luck, I had to have my dad come and drive all the way out there with a uhaul trailer and pick me up

Luckily, I checked everything out today and the bearing seems fine...it was the stupid brake cover/dust shield. I guess it was pretty close to the rotor before and after the tire incident, it somehow got worse because the cover was right up against the rotor. It was a quick fix but it is probably good that I trailored the car home since the spare sounds funny at 20+ mph. I am pretty sure it isnt rubbing but who knows.

Anyways, the weekend was very eventful; I lost $215 from the first tow, need a new tire, scraped a good bit of the paint off the front valence, have a scraped leg and a sweet dog bite. At least I dont need to buy new bearings and I got good mileage going all the way there

Moral of the story, be careful on your way out to shows!

Vehicles
      '01 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS
      04-29-2012 07:27 PM #2
      ... Wow... Just wow, and I thought I had bad luck.
      Leave gap for fat chicks.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rictus View Post
      Saying that you felt "bull**** torque" is like saying that you had sex with a girl and just felt bull**** vagina.
      APR Stage 1 Tuned

Vehicles
      03 Wolfsburg Jetta
      04-29-2012 07:29 PM #3
      that tire is gnarly. sorry to hear about your luck
      Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger7 View Post
      I usually just use placental tissue to affix my coilpacks when they get loose.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...wnpipe-etc.%29
      ^^Buy my sh!t up there^^

4. Member
      Vehicles
      87 Jetta Coupe
      04-29-2012 07:32 PM #4
      Glad to see you made it home, Jon. Hopefully next next year it goes a lot smoother.

It's Tom, BTW.

Vehicles
      2002 1.8t GTI
      04-29-2012 07:36 PM #5
      Hey duder. Yeah I didnt get home until about 1. The only place my dad could find a trailer was half way to saint louis.

Vehicles
      01 wolfsburg on hydraulics
      04-29-2012 07:36 PM #6
      damn
      My thread thing.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoaststeeze View Post
      I dont do cocaine, I just like the way it smells.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      Bagged 24v
      04-29-2012 07:42 PM #7
      What a weekend...

Vehicles
      Rave Green
      04-29-2012 07:43 PM #8
      damn, and i thought my weekend was bad.... sorry to hear man

actually my weekend rocked
      Not Chris Whit's Flickr

@whit_yo || BUY MY RONAL SX

Quote Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
      OP Status update: jimmies definitely rustled.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      87 Jetta Coupe
      04-29-2012 07:44 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by bboy_jon View Post
      Hey duder. Yeah I didnt get home until about 1. The only place my dad could find a trailer was half way to saint louis.
      Damn! That sucks. I'm thinkin of converting the Jetta to a mk3 tdi, next time I can just tow you home myself lol.

Vehicles
      2002 1.8t GTI
      04-29-2012 07:47 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 01golfgls View Post
      Damn! That sucks. I'm thinkin of converting the Jetta to a mk3 tdi, next time I can just tow you home myself lol.
      do it man.

Vehicles
      Rolling Thunder
      04-29-2012 07:54 PM #11
      You didnt thought on putting tires with the correct width on the rim???? this is exactly what happens if you put a undersized width tire on any rim
      -2011 MK4.5 1.8T VW Motorsport GLI R Proyect. Codename ".:Rolling Thunder"

-"The ammount of Love, Money and HorsePower We Can Have Is Never Enough" -Sensei Mawy Luna

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta Vr6
      04-29-2012 07:54 PM #12
      You're in a bit of a pickle, since you mounted the tires yourself, you aren't allowed the standard warranty.
      I know that at my tire shop, if a customer comes back with a sidewall blown out, the manufacturer of the tire is obligated to replace it for free because we are licensed tire techs, ruling out the possibility of it being our fault even if it is.
      Tire's do blow out for no reason. The sidewall radial belt can be faulty, defective, just like any other car part. It happens.
      This is from our Falken warranty claim booklet:
      Owners Obligations.

At the time of purchase, the tire(s) must be properly installed, balanced, and air pressure set to the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendation. At least monthly the owner must check air pressure with a gauge and reinflate to recommended level. Every 5,000 miles tires must be rotated. Staggard fitments are not covered by our mileage warranty, and the proof of compliance must be recorded on the Warranty Card.
      All warranty claims must be presented to an authorized FALKEN dealer.
      You must present your Warranty Card verifying mileage, rotation, proof of date and place of purchase, to make a Mileage Warranty claim. The name of the FALKEN dealer from whom the tires were purchased must be included on the form.
      You must pay any costs for mounting, balancing, or any other service charges, including applicable taxes.
      Your best bet is to get in contact with a Falken representative and see if you can get it replaced at a discount. Although even I wouldn't expect that much

Edit: Ignore the guy above this post. Stretching tires has NOTHING to do with the reason this particular tire blew out. Things like this just randomly happen, and I hate hearing that it happened to a fellow vw enthusiast.
      Last edited by Konkordmusk; 04-29-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Vehicles
      MkIV on RS's, 92 GTI VR6
      04-29-2012 08:04 PM #13
      just buy a new tire its not worth waiting on a phone for nothing and theyre only $100 and have a professional mount them this time
      I was part of the Illeststance gangbang |IBaumgartner Brand Schiltach|My Mk2 GTI VR6 Build

04-29-2012 08:07 PM #14
      You were running 50psi in your tires??

Vehicles
      Bagged GLI
      04-29-2012 08:15 PM #15
      sucks dude at least your alright though. should have a professional mount them next time

Vehicles
      Unicorn 337 + B6 S4
      04-29-2012 08:16 PM #16
      I've had worse...

Vehicles
      Bagged Blue Girl Car
      04-29-2012 08:22 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by MechEngg View Post
      You were running 50psi in your tires??
      EXACTLY wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats wa too much are you serious?

04-29-2012 08:26 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by criley76 View Post
      EXACTLY wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats wa too much are you serious?
      Plus even if the tires were capable of supporting 50psi, at highway speeds tire pressure can increase another 10psi due to heat of the tires. I would recommend lowering the tire pressure immediately. I run 34psi in my tires...

Vehicles
      03 GLI Reflex Silver
      04-29-2012 08:28 PM #19
      on my way to dod5 i got swiped by a coach bus lucky it just bumped the rear fender and now it looks like i have really bad tire burn but thats it hah. clearly the world doesnt like people going to VW meets lol
      Follow me on hipstergram @shoff35

Vehicles
      Berlina Black s2k
      04-29-2012 08:33 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI-R View Post
      You didnt thought on putting tires with the correct width on the rim???? this is exactly what happens if you put a undersized width tire on any rim
      You are an idiot. The same idiot who made the butthurt thread about us all getting along. I saw your post and I was thinking this guy must be trolling. Nope you're just that stupid.
      Retired

21. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta
      04-29-2012 08:34 PM #21
      sorry to hear the bad news man at least you didnt crash from the tire blowing out

Vehicles
      2002 1.8t GTI
      04-29-2012 11:12 PM #22
      Yeah I figured I wouldnt be able to get a free replacement, or any for that matter. It was worth the thought.

Ive read about people running 50 psi in their falkens, Since they need more pressure to keep the side walls on. I normally (well for the week that I had them) ran around 40 :/

Do you think it was pressure related? All the other ones were at the same psi and they were fine, no soft sidewalls .

I really need to take them to someone. Honestly though, I just need the tire mounted, I can stretch them myself pretty easily with the bike tube method. Mounting them required a few tire irons. Hopefully I can find someone close by willing to do it.

Vehicles
      Berlina Black s2k
      04-29-2012 11:15 PM #23
      Yeah I figured I wouldnt be able to get a free replacement, or any for that matter. It was worth the thought.

Ive read about people running 50 psi in their falkens, Since they need more pressure to keep the side walls on. I normally (well for the week that I had them) ran around 40 :/

Do you think it was pressure related? All the other ones were at the same psi and they were fine, no soft sidewalls .

I really need to take them to someone. Honestly though, I just need the tire mounted, I can stretch them myself pretty easily with the bike tube method. Mounting them required a few tire irons. Hopefully I can find someone close by willing to do it.
      I run 32 psi and never had any problems. 225 on a 9.5
      Retired

Vehicles
      20vT mk1 cabby
      04-29-2012 11:25 PM #24
      50psi? Rofl. I don't see how that would ever be required to keep the tire stretched, it's nearly impossible to pop a tire off the bead.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Euro View Post
      ooh I like that, thanks for the snap

and DON'T GO LOOK UP BLUE WAFFLE, people
      My car is blue, and I'm Belgian. Blue Waffle. That's all it means. Honest!

Vehicles
      Tow truck
      04-29-2012 11:28 PM #25
      Sorry man.... I know how it feels.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rictus
      Don't bomb threads with any variation of any combination of letters, numbers, words, phrases, icons, smilies, memes, pictures, videos or any other sort of post.
      Maintenance is paramount.
      GTS 3071R l Eurokraft Performance
      PM for Powdercoating

Vehicles
      Mk4
      04-29-2012 11:30 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by MechEngg View Post
      Plus even if the tires were capable of supporting 50psi, at highway speeds tire pressure can increase another 10psi due to heat of the tires. I would recommend lowering the tire pressure immediately. I run 34psi in my tires...
      This, I won't go over 35
      RIVAL | Instagram: Berries_and_Toast

Vehicles
      BMP 20th
      04-29-2012 11:33 PM #27
      50 psi is most likely what made the tire sh!t the bed.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 R32 BMP, 2010 UG K04 GTI, 2006 g35x, 2003 mkiv Gti, 2001 mkiv jetta
      04-29-2012 11:36 PM #28
      Hey dude sorry to hear! Im in kcmo, and was heading out there too but I came outside morning of and someone had hit and ran my car. Jammed the passenger door in and left a huge scrape on my lefthand side . Bad weekend for KC dubbers

Vehicles
      05 BMP GLI
      04-29-2012 11:51 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Sovietaced View Post
      You are an idiot. The same idiot who made the butthurt thread about us all getting along. I saw your post and I was thinking this guy must be trolling. Nope you're just that stupid.
      lol
      2005 BMP GLI
      2003 Reflex Wolf - RIP (06/18/2011)

Vehicles
      Tow truck
      04-29-2012 11:53 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI-R View Post
      No.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rictus
      Don't bomb threads with any variation of any combination of letters, numbers, words, phrases, icons, smilies, memes, pictures, videos or any other sort of post.
      Maintenance is paramount.
      GTS 3071R l Eurokraft Performance
      PM for Powdercoating

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta Vr6
      04-30-2012 12:16 AM #31

Like I said, it could easily have been a defective tire. It happens, ALL the time. While 50psi didn't help the tire, it definitely wasn't the CAUSE.

Vehicles
      91 jetta, 87 vr6, 95 vr6, 20th anni, toyota celsior, <-- Sold. Porsche 911T
      04-30-2012 12:24 AM #32
      Myself and all others run 45psi in achilles tires to keep bead.

Im running 225 35 on a 10 and 245 35 on an 11.5, rides just fine, I agree with the fact that it was most likely a defect based on where it split.
      Floss Filthy x Team Big Shark x Canibeat x VipStyleCars

Vehicles
      20th, Golf R
      04-30-2012 12:29 AM #33
      dude i had a ****ty day too! but youve got me beat! I am actually having the same weird metal scraping sound so maybe it is the dust shield. anyways hopefully everything it alright

Vehicles
      Car that looks good from afar.
      04-30-2012 12:34 AM #34
      man that kinda sucks, glad the wheel didnt get mangled though and you were able to safely pull over after the tire gave out.
      || Mk4 Wheel Offset and Stance Picture Index || ClearWaterDubs || ClearWaterDubs@VWVortex ||
      || Please don't PM me with offset questions, post in THIS THREAD instead ||

04-30-2012 12:46 AM #35
      I agree that 50psi in a tire probably won't blow it if it is just sitting there...but when you are going 75mph the pressure may increase to ~60psi because of the heat gain. Now that is ridiculously dangerous in my honest opinion....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast