Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Why is my 8v not running

Hybrid View

1. Member
      Vehicles
      91 Jetta Coupe
      04-29-2012 08:55 PM #1
      I just rebuilt my 8v and have all but the vacuum line on the side to the booster and one in the front to some emissions device hooked up.. Its cranking and is getting fuel and spark..

Vehicles
      Newest, 92 GTi half-swap plus
      04-29-2012 10:10 PM #2
      Your most likely culprit is a vacuum leak. None of the bosch engine management systems like um-metered air.

That "emissions devices".... is it a metal bottle on top of the valve cover, or a black UFO on the valve cover?

Seal of the open vacuum lines/ports and try starting it.
      Thanks for calling. Your call is very important to me. If you would like to reach me by phone now, please hang up now. If you would like to reach me by phone later, please hang up later. If you would like to speak with a person, please press ten. ..... I'm sorry I do not understand one zero. Please hang up now or later if you cannot press ten.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      91 Jetta Coupe
      04-29-2012 11:04 PM #3
      it runs from the front of the intake to a round valve aside the airbox the other is the bigger one on the side that runs to the booster

4. 04-30-2012 08:22 AM #4
      Check your camshaft timing!
      When the same happened to me, it turned out that I attached the camshaft sprocket the other way around. There are timing signs on both sides of the sprocket. The motor had correct compression, fuel and spark, but would not run. As soon as I turned around the sprocket and set the timing, it fired up right away.

Good luck, Peter

Vehicles
      91 GTI ABA-T, 11 MK6 TDI Wagon
      04-30-2012 08:28 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by orbanp View Post
      Check your camshaft timing!
      When the same happened to me, it turned out that I attached the camshaft sprocket the other way around. There are timing signs on both sides of the sprocket. The motor had correct compression, fuel and spark, but would not run. As soon as I turned around the sprocket and set the timing, it fired up right away.

Good luck, Peter
      This would be my guess as well, even with a vacuum leak you should hear it sputtering a bit. I would double check cam timing and make sure the distributor isn't 180 degrees out either.
      ** VW/Audi Mechanic - Mods, Maintenance, etc. - Reasonable Rates - PM for Info **

91 GTI ABA Turbo Build Thread

G Guitars - Effects Pedals for the Masses!

6. Member
      Vehicles
      91 Jetta Coupe
      04-30-2012 11:14 AM #6
      the sprockets on right. where should the mark on the distributor be pointing?