Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Concerns with my new '09 SEL w/RSE

1. 04-29-2012 10:06 PM #1
      Hi everyone,

I just purchased my first VW ever. It's a 09 Routan SEL w/RSE with 24000 miles. I live in Portland and purchased it in Seattle. As I was driving it home the Radio/Nav unit restarted on me while Scanning for FM stations. I was wondering should I take it to the dealer to get it looked at, is it something i did? It did it twice on my way home.

Another question I have is, there is a amber icon (3 cars) on the top right of the head unit. I looked through the manual and could not find what it means. Can anyone help me on this? Here's a picture of it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/26sfhj6vzc...-04-29-059.jpg My guess is traffic information. But when I press it nothing happens.

As I was driving home I found out where the previous owner lived by pressing the Nav Home Destination option. It was Chicago, IL! As soon as I got to Portland, I looked underneath the car and found it has some rust on the exhaust system and other places. Should I be worried? Should I get it treated?

Last issue is there was some hidden stains on the interior, Looks like slurpee stains. It was only revealed only when I stowed the 3rd row seats. I was wondering what's the best way to try to take it out?

Other than those issues, I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase. I love the look! The van was smooth and shifted nice. I got about 24mpg for a 200 mile trip. Is the mpg indicator accurate? I reset it on the freeway and it started at 13mpg then slowly climbed to 24. I was going about 70mph for the entire trip.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
      TIA
      Last edited by thaddyusmaximus; 04-29-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Vehicles
      2009 Routan SEL Premium and 2009 E91 328i sport wagon
      04-29-2012 11:44 PM #2
      The 3 amber cars is an indication that the Sirius traffic feature is not activated. The 3 cars would be green if the feature were active. When I called to activate mine Sirius gave me 1 free year (apparently nobody had ever activated the feature on my car before and the 1st year of traffic service is free).

These cars have a lot of rust underneath - it is "normal" for these cars - exhaust, bolts, etc. are all rusty on mine...

3. 04-30-2012 01:06 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by aeitingon View Post
      The 3 amber cars is an indication that the Sirius traffic feature is not activated. The 3 cars would be green if the feature were active. When I called to activate mine Sirius gave me 1 free year (apparently nobody had ever activated the feature on my car before and the 1st year of traffic service is free).

These cars have a lot of rust underneath - it is "normal" for these cars - exhaust, bolts, etc. are all rusty on mine...
      Thanks for the info.

I wonder if Sirius gives free 1 year subscriptions to people who bought certified used vehicles?

I'm also wondering about Sirius backseat TV. I see it in the Routan manual but cannot find the option on the head unit. I checked Sirious Backseat TV webpage and nowhere mentions the Routan.

Vehicles
      '13 Touareg VR6, '12 Golf R,'12 LEAF, '08 smart
      04-30-2012 09:40 AM #4
      We also own an '09 SEL with navi and Sirius radio but no RSE, as you can also get info on the Chyrsler forums (most people know that the Routan is built in the same factory as the Chrysler T&C and shares many, many parts including the radio head unit, etc.) this is a chat about the backseat TV, depending on who you believe it looks like you might be able to resubscribe for $8/mo

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...ed-by-Chrysler

As the Sirius site still lists either the Dodge or Chrysler year equivalent for your '09 I would think that you could still get it but have Sirius check your radio ID.

http://www.siriusxm.com/backseattv

On your stain issue, depends on how bad but I've had success with the typical spray foam carpet cleaner stuff, you just need to be careful not to put too much down so as to bleach the spot lighter than the rest -- if it's really bad I would have a car wash interior cleaning place take a look.

On your mileage output, your SEL will have the same 4.0 L engine as mine and I've found the mileage readout fairly close when I verify it against each fill up ... on a recent trip south from Chicago to FL on flat terrain averaging 72 MPH we saw 27+ MPG in some areas; the sweet spot seems to be between 70 and 72 with the RPM's showing a bit less than 2K and what's interesting is that it seems to like 70+ a little bit better than 65 for the best mileage. The longer the trip, the better the mileage I seem to get so 24MPG at 70MPH for 200MI is OK but it should get even better on longer trips ... also, are you using the 89 octane (mid-range) or just 87 (regular); it does make a slight difference for better mileage, especially on trips but not much around town.

As I myself was on the fence about keeping our '09 and yours (other than the RSE) appears to be equipped the same (unless it's a SEL Premium with the fog lights, memory power seats, etc.) even down to the mileage (our has 22.5K) would be curious what kind of deal you got (as your van is even from my area -- Chicago, as well!).
      Last edited by early74B; 04-30-2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: added link

5. 04-30-2012 08:31 PM #5
      Thanks for the info.

As for my Routan. I think it's the SEL Premium since it does have the fog lights and memory seats. As far as the price, I got it for a little above 22K (Certified Pre-Owned). It did have a ding on the body (Near Gas), a few scraps on the Tail Gate (Probably lifted inside garage and banged the door), a stain under the rear seat, Scuff underneath front bumper and a little leather tear on driver side door.

Vehicles
      2009 Routan SEL Premium and 2009 E91 328i sport wagon
      04-30-2012 09:45 PM #6
      I did get a free year of Sirius traffic with my CPO (used) Routan. Me: I'd like to connect the Sirius traffic. Sirius operator: I see you have a new Chrysler - congratulations you get 1 free year of traffic link...

7. 05-01-2012 12:06 AM #7
      NICE! what about the SiriusXM?