Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 57

    Thread: Anybody else like to wander around used car lots on weekend?

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2010
      Location
      Chesterfield, Indiana
      Posts
      758
      Vehicles
      2009 Caliber SRT4, 1989 Mazda B2200, 2010 RAV4
      04-29-2012 10:27 PM #1
      I've always done this, as far back as I can remember when I was a little kid my dad would take me and we'd go around to all the dealerships and browse. We would usually go later at night.

      I've always wondered how dealers feel about people doing that, but I've never gotten in any kind of trouble for it. One time a cop did pull in and ask me what I was doing and I said something about wanting to look around without an aggressive salesman up my butt, the cop just goes "Ok carry on" or something like that.

      I haven't done it in a long time but I went out tonight. I'm fortunate to live in a town with a ton of used car lots and they usually have some pretty interesting things. Tonight's sightings (sorry my phone pics didn't turn out, no flash):

      ZL454 Camaro: I had never even heard of this car before. It was white with orange "hockey stick" like stripes and had a lot of styling cues from the first-gen Camaro, like the little vents in front of the rear fender and old school SS badges. Torq Thrust wheels, painted gunmetal with a chrome lip. Very cool car.

      first-gen TT 3.2 quattro: For whatever reason I have never gotten up close and personal with one of these, but have always really liked them. I never realized just how small they were though! Makes my Versa look big by comparison. This one was a very nice shade of light green that I'd never seen before on a TT. Still can't get over how small though. I always thought I might want to own one but it would be difficult getting in and out of.

      Mini Cooper S "rally edition": Never heard of this particular version. It was dark green with white striping and white wheels and big honking foglights mounted on the front bumper. I've never loved the Mini but this one was a pretty cool/funky little ride.

      Land Rover Discovery II: I think it was an 03. The thing that struck me about this one was the price: $4200 smackers. I'm sure they have plenty of drawbacks/maintenance issues but I figured the Land Rover prestige alone would command a much bigger price tag.

    2. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      62,910
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-29-2012 10:28 PM #2
      I used to do this all the time- but most dealers have fenced in their lots and put up "no trespassing after dark" signs.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

    3. Member punisher89's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 11th, 2002
      Location
      NoLau
      Posts
      6,946
      Vehicles
      I hate my car
      04-29-2012 10:57 PM #3
      As a salesman I'd rather you come poking around after hours, its the people that come poking around while we're open that piss me off. Waiting two hours for an up on a sunday only to get a "heisman" that wants to just look around and get mad at me for doing my job.
      Your friendly neighborhood used car salesman.

    4. Member 2.0T_Convert's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Jersey City
      Posts
      12,231
      Vehicles
      Facehugger twofitty
      04-29-2012 11:02 PM #4
      Most dealers around here will park the biggest vehicles on the lot (trucks typically) across any entrance after closing so you'd have to park in another business lot nearby and walk.

      A nearby Honda dealer even has a private security guy sit in a car all night and watch the storage lot down the road.
      Past rides:
      Volkswagen GTI
      Honda CR-Z
      Honda Civic Coupe
      Your mom's Ford Windstar

    5. Member MrRline's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 6th, 2010
      Location
      Buckeye, Arizona
      Posts
      5,243
      Vehicles
      2010 VW CC R-line, 2012 GLI Autobahn
      04-29-2012 11:05 PM #5
      I've got a pretty nifty setup here. The dealerships actually have a little block with a private road in front of it. It's nice to take a late night drive and just see what's there. I love cars and I love seeing what people trade in and to what places as well the new cars that come out. The night time is the best time to look as everyone has left for the night and you can really get a chance to stare at a car.
      2010 CC R-line. 5% tint, Euro Clear Corners, VAG-COM windows,ST Coilovers, Led interior lights, Apr Stage 1 Carbonio Intake, R8 Coilpacks, Hoen xeon light and fog
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn- APR Stage 1 Carbonio Intake, Cree DRL, Hoen lights, ST Coilovers

    6. Member volkstyle's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 11th, 2010
      Posts
      1,480
      Vehicles
      04 R32
      04-29-2012 11:24 PM #6
      No blockage around here
      Heart pumping antifreeze as I stand here.

      Lloyd Banks

    7. Member airman401's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 24th, 2011
      Location
      G-Vegas,SC
      Posts
      1,026
      Vehicles
      e36 328i, 2010 Fusion
      04-29-2012 11:35 PM #7
      If by "wander around used car lots" you mean "browse craigslist"...than yes.
      Quote Originally Posted by dubraycer36 View Post
      If you're into abusive, one way only relationships with European goldiggers, that have a penchant for BDSM roleplay w/out the use of safewords, then yeah, MkII Gti's are the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2002
      Location
      Grayson, GA
      Posts
      1,913
      Vehicles
      88 Golf VRT, 04 E500 Wagon, 04 E55
      04-29-2012 11:44 PM #8
      Discovery II? Might as well buy the head gasket set with the vehicle.

    9. Member Cubster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2002
      Location
      Fort Worth, Texas
      Posts
      8,236
      04-30-2012 12:01 AM #9
      Our lot of just traded in cars is in a hard to just walk to place....but we get some odd stuff for sure. We take just about anything on wheels or with a motor.

    10. Member 1Point8TDan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 4th, 2003
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      8,272
      Vehicles
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      04-30-2012 12:06 AM #10
      I do so I don't get approached by a salesman but haven't really recently done it.

    11. 04-30-2012 12:06 AM #11
      Absolutely. It gives me a no-pressure window shopping environment and doesn't waste their time or get their hopes up.
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      I'm convinced you commuted through a salt mine.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk3_Addicted View Post
      Bariman82 is the king of rust patching...He is the guy you want to talk to.
      My take on fixing a rotten mk3.

    12. Member iamnotemo's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 6th, 2003
      Location
      Lynchburg, VA
      Posts
      8,309
      Vehicles
      Civic
      04-30-2012 12:21 AM #12
      Absolutely. A few of go once or twice a month on Sunday nights. I just got back in fact. It's something I've done for years.

    13. Member Biff Beltsander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
      Posts
      3,491
      Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      04-30-2012 12:25 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by punisher89 View Post
      As a salesman I'd rather you come poking around after hours, its the people that come poking around while we're open that piss me off. Waiting two hours for an up on a sunday only to get a "heisman" that wants to just look around and get mad at me for doing my job.
      That's a good point.

      Quote Originally Posted by airman401 View Post
      If by "wander around used car lots" you mean "browse craigslist"...than yes.
      That's all I do now as well.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You are in the land of rust and honey.

    14. Member GTE77's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2nd, 2009
      Location
      Florida / Rio de Janeiro
      Posts
      4,074
      Vehicles
      Puma GTE / Audi A3 8L
      04-30-2012 12:32 AM #14
      You guys have never had a problem walking car dealerships parking lots at night?

      I would think it was a quick way to spend a night in jail......

    15. 04-30-2012 12:35 AM #15
      Not in the least. I read window stickers and stare with my hands in my pockets. If you don't look stupid, what's the cause for alarm?
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      I'm convinced you commuted through a salt mine.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk3_Addicted View Post
      Bariman82 is the king of rust patching...He is the guy you want to talk to.
      My take on fixing a rotten mk3.

    16. 04-30-2012 12:36 AM #16
      Craigslist.

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2010
      Location
      Chesterfield, Indiana
      Posts
      758
      Vehicles
      2009 Caliber SRT4, 1989 Mazda B2200, 2010 RAV4
      04-30-2012 12:41 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by GTE77 View Post
      You guys have never had a problem walking car dealerships parking lots at night?

      I would think it was a quick way to spend a night in jail......
      Jail??? I'm not talking about hopping fences or ignoring trespassing signs. If it's got open access to the public I would think they don't have a problem with it.

    18. Moderator PsyberVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 10th, 2000
      Location
      California
      Posts
      19,257
      Blog Entries
      5
      04-30-2012 12:43 AM #18
      I love doing it. It's good excuse to get out for a walk and gets me past stereotypes or prejudices I may have had against certain vehicles when new..

      For instance, I may see a Chrysler Sebring Convertible for super cheap and start day dreaming about what a great car it could be... Hey, it's not so bad in retrospect- who else made anything that could really compete - especially at that price?

      Also the sightings of cool, rare and dare I say "tuned" cars can also be quite interesting.

      Security usually just says hi if they even acknowledge me at all. I can get lost in it though - 2 hours easily lost on a late night (though it's not limited to weekends for me- I usually go on week nights)
      Last edited by PsyberVW; 04-30-2012 at 12:46 AM.

    19. 04-30-2012 12:45 AM #19
      All the new car lots in my area have open driveways and all the parking lot lights turned on for people to browse at night, with exception to one Ford dealer that has a gate at the entrance, which can be walked around.

    20. 04-30-2012 12:45 AM #20
      i do this on occasion, some dealers cars are all unlocked too so you can check them out

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2010
      Location
      Chesterfield, Indiana
      Posts
      758
      Vehicles
      2009 Caliber SRT4, 1989 Mazda B2200, 2010 RAV4
      04-30-2012 12:51 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Venom6 View Post
      i do this on occasion, some dealers cars are all unlocked too so you can check them out
      When I was truck shopping a few years ago I pulled the handle on a Colorado, just to see if it was solid (the S10 handle was anything but) and to my surprise it popped right open.

      I sat in the truck, fiddled with the knobs, the whole spiel. Went back the next day and after a quick test drive, bought it on the spot. Easiest sale that guy ever made.

    22. Member eurotekms's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2002
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      2,473
      04-30-2012 01:11 AM #22
      @ OP

      My god, I just spent a week in a Versa and it has to be the worst car I've ever experienced in my life. How could you now resist trading it for any of the cars you listed!?
      x

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2010
      Location
      Chesterfield, Indiana
      Posts
      758
      Vehicles
      2009 Caliber SRT4, 1989 Mazda B2200, 2010 RAV4
      04-30-2012 01:24 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by eurotekms View Post
      @ OP

      My god, I just spent a week in a Versa and it has to be the worst car I've ever experienced in my life. How could you now resist trading it for any of the cars you listed!?
      Because I've spent three years in a Versa and it has been a great car. I don't particularly care if anyone else likes or approves of it.
      Last edited by Roboturner913; 04-30-2012 at 01:49 AM.

    24. Member StL2.5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 20th, 2011
      Location
      Mesa, AZ
      Posts
      445
      Vehicles
      2011 VW Golf 2.5
      04-30-2012 01:54 AM #24
      "I've got a pretty nifty setup here. The dealerships actually have a little block with a private road in front of it. It's nice to take a late night drive and just see what's there. I love cars and I love seeing what people trade in and to what places as well the new cars that come out. The night time is the best time to look as everyone has left for the night and you can really get a chance to stare at a car."

      Are you talking about the Avondale Auto Mall? I used to live in PHX (and am moving back later in the year) and used to love roaming that area to look at cars.

    25. Member MrRline's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 6th, 2010
      Location
      Buckeye, Arizona
      Posts
      5,243
      Vehicles
      2010 VW CC R-line, 2012 GLI Autobahn
      04-30-2012 02:07 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by StL2.5 View Post
      "I've got a pretty nifty setup here. The dealerships actually have a little block with a private road in front of it. It's nice to take a late night drive and just see what's there. I love cars and I love seeing what people trade in and to what places as well the new cars that come out. The night time is the best time to look as everyone has left for the night and you can really get a chance to stare at a car."

      Are you talking about the Avondale Auto Mall? I used to live in PHX (and am moving back later in the year) and used to love roaming that area to look at cars.
      Yes I was. They don't have all the flavors I like, but enough for me to get a good look. I don't have to worry about any traffic or hiking around to a ton of dealerships, just roll by there maybe wave to a UTI kid or two and nobody bothers me.
      2010 CC R-line. 5% tint, Euro Clear Corners, VAG-COM windows,ST Coilovers, Led interior lights, Apr Stage 1 Carbonio Intake, R8 Coilpacks, Hoen xeon light and fog
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn- APR Stage 1 Carbonio Intake, Cree DRL, Hoen lights, ST Coilovers

    26. Member AQ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 9th, 2002
      Location
      Wisconsin
      Posts
      314
      Vehicles
      2010 Camry LE 4-cyl
      04-30-2012 04:09 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by eurotekms View Post
      @ OP

      My god, I just spent a week in a Versa and it has to be the worst car I've ever experienced in my life. How could you now resist trading it for any of the cars you listed!?
      Just curious, did you drive the new-for-2012 Versa sedan or the first-gen Versa hatchback? They are two totally different animals.

    27. Member HI SPEED's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2004
      Location
      Honolulu
      Posts
      2,821
      04-30-2012 06:35 AM #27
      My GF used to live near a Lamborghini/Ferrari/Bently/Lotus dealer. It was about a block away from the supermarket. I would go out to "grab Something" at night and just stare into the window of the dealership, and gaze at all the pretty things. I had a thing for the Bently GT Speed at the time, and they got in this sinister blue one that just really pushed all my buttons. I think her fridge always had about 5 gallons of milk in it until they finally sold it two weeks later.


      Aside from the truly unattainable cars, I have better things to do with my time.

    28. Member eurotekms's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2002
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      2,473
      04-30-2012 05:25 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by AQ View Post
      Just curious, did you drive the new-for-2012 Versa sedan or the first-gen Versa hatchback? They are two totally different animals.
      2011 model.

      Engine and transmission sucked
      Seating position was awful. Seats are uncomfortable.


      and only 27 mpg on highway... that sucks
      x

    29. 04-30-2012 05:54 PM #29
      Oh yeah, I use to do that in the 80's and 90's but now I have something called "internet", you should look into it, it's awesome
      "We are each free to believe what we want, and it's my view that my simplest explanation is: THERE IS NO GOD, no one created the universe and no one directs our fate." - Stephen Hawkings

    30. Member VR6 GLX Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2008
      Location
      El Centro, CA
      Posts
      1,572
      Vehicles
      1994/VW/JETTA/GLX 2014/Ford/FIESTA ST
      04-30-2012 06:05 PM #30
      I did this last year and a lot more a few years back, a freind of mine was good freinds with one of the dealers we got our cars from, and he'd let my freind try out any of the cars on the lot. We tried to act like we were interested at the other used lots, but told the dealers we were just looking so that it was clear that we weren't buying anything. I also enjoyed car shopping with my parents when I was a kid, not any new car lots, but I always enjoyed going on test drives.
      VRSociety #293

    31. Member .:Chr!sVR6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 7th, 2009
      Location
      The sticks, NY
      Posts
      1,105
      Vehicles
      emkayyy vee two point oh tee (daily) 1973 Superbeetle (toy)
      04-30-2012 06:06 PM #31
      I have done this since my parents drove me around in car seats. Whenever there is nothing else to do I hop in my car and go to all the dealerships around town. Usually I just go cruise around the VW dealership lot and look for anything new that wasnt there the last time I went

      glad I'm not the only one

    32. Member VR6 GLX Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2008
      Location
      El Centro, CA
      Posts
      1,572
      Vehicles
      1994/VW/JETTA/GLX 2014/Ford/FIESTA ST
      04-30-2012 06:09 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
      I've always done this, as far back as I can remember when I was a little kid my dad would take me and we'd go around to all the dealerships and browse. We would usually go later at night.

      I've always wondered how dealers feel about people doing that, but I've never gotten in any kind of trouble for it. One time a cop did pull in and ask me what I was doing and I said something about wanting to look around without an aggressive salesman up my butt, the cop just goes "Ok carry on" or something like that.

      I haven't done it in a long time but I went out tonight. I'm fortunate to live in a town with a ton of used car lots and they usually have some pretty interesting things. Tonight's sightings (sorry my phone pics didn't turn out, no flash):

      ZL454 Camaro: I had never even heard of this car before. It was white with orange "hockey stick" like stripes and had a lot of styling cues from the first-gen Camaro, like the little vents in front of the rear fender and old school SS badges. Torq Thrust wheels, painted gunmetal with a chrome lip. Very cool car.

      first-gen TT 3.2 quattro: For whatever reason I have never gotten up close and personal with one of these, but have always really liked them. I never realized just how small they were though! Makes my Versa look big by comparison. This one was a very nice shade of light green that I'd never seen before on a TT. Still can't get over how small though. I always thought I might want to own one but it would be difficult getting in and out of.

      Mini Cooper S "rally edition": Never heard of this particular version. It was dark green with white striping and white wheels and big honking foglights mounted on the front bumper. I've never loved the Mini but this one was a pretty cool/funky little ride.

      Land Rover Discovery II: I think it was an 03. The thing that struck me about this one was the price: $4200 smackers. I'm sure they have plenty of drawbacks/maintenance issues but I figured the Land Rover prestige alone would command a much bigger price tag.
      I would've really liked to test drive that audi tt 3.2
      VRSociety #293

    33. Member rsj0714's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Greensboro, NC
      Posts
      3,215
      Vehicles
      2003 Nissan Maxima 3.5 6-Speed. 2001 GMC Sierra (RIP)
      04-30-2012 06:56 PM #33
      I might start doing this.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      Station wagons are for moms and Europe.

    34. 04-30-2012 07:12 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
      When I was truck shopping a few years ago I pulled the handle on a Colorado, just to see if it was solid (the S10 handle was anything but) and to my surprise it popped right open.

      I sat in the truck, fiddled with the knobs, the whole spiel. Went back the next day and after a quick test drive, bought it on the spot. Easiest sale that guy ever made.
      A local RV dealer leaves the used Rv's open for people to check out after hours.
      I once went in one and opened the lavatory door only to find the biggest steaming pile of dung I have ever seen. I swear it was at or above the level of the seat. Needless to say I don't look in the lavatory anymore.

      Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2

    35. Moderator PsyberVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 10th, 2000
      Location
      California
      Posts
      19,257
      Blog Entries
      5
      04-30-2012 07:16 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6 GLX Man View Post
      I would've really liked to test drive that audi tt 3.2
      The TT is like the Beetle, in that once you sit inside you find a lot more space than you expected.

      For me, the problem is how low it sits - getting really low and twisting my weight over one knee while rotating my ass to the seat seems to kill my knees.

      But once inside, plenty of room. I've had passengers in all seats on a couple occasions. The longest was a drive to Orange County and back from San Diego... Not sure if 2 passengers being Asian women is considered cheating or not..

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •