Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Dry sounding noise when turning...

1. 04-29-2012 11:15 PM #1
      My 2008 FSI makes a dry noise when i turn the steering wheels in either direction. I've been looking for a solution and so far I've found none. What can it be?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '07 Passat 3.6 4mo wagon; '05 GLS 4mo wagon
      04-29-2012 11:19 PM #2
      Could be bushings. Does it sound like a creaking noise or like a dry rubber band stretching?

3. 04-29-2012 11:24 PM #3
      it sounds like a dry rubber band.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Passat 2.0T
      04-30-2012 04:17 PM #4
      could be the CV boot...mine was making a similar noise and I took it to the dealer and thats exxactly what the problem was

5. 04-30-2012 07:35 PM #5
      I thought that if it was the cv it would click. This just sounds like a dry joint when i turn the steering wheel. If its the bushings is that something i can replace myself or do is it best to leave to the dealership. My cars is out of warrant at 90k

6. 05-11-2012 09:48 PM #6
      Check the ball joints, tie rod ends and every other moving part under there. VW uses non grease fitting parts. Replace them as they fail with grease-able MOOG parts and you'll never have to worry about it again. Moog guarantees the part and the labor to replace them for life... plus they can be greased.

7. 05-12-2012 02:58 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Blutarski View Post
      Check the ball joints, tie rod ends and every other moving part under there. VW uses non grease fitting parts. Replace them as they fail with grease-able MOOG parts and you'll never have to worry about it again. Moog guarantees the part and the labor to replace them for life... plus they can be greased.
      where would I buy moog parts?

8. 05-12-2012 05:59 PM #8
      Try your local shop where you buy parts, most carry them. I know Advance, O'Reilly, most NAPA carries them. You can also order some parts direct:
      http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/
      or 2008 Passat Specific:
      http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com....asp?cat=19602

Steering noises can be tough to pinpoint as the vibration or noise can resonate and travel through parts. If you can get the front off the ground and have someone slowly turn the wheels back and forth while you touch each and every part that can move, you'll feel it groaning. Or you can pay a shop $70 an hour to do it.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      05-13-2012 01:09 AM #9
      Is the noise coming from the steering column inside the car or is it outside? Is the noise like a dry swooshing noise?

10. 05-13-2012 05:38 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Boosted2003! View Post
      Is the noise coming from the steering column inside the car or is it outside? Is the noise like a dry swooshing noise?
      the noise is coming from the outside and no its not a dry swooshing noise. I only hear it at low speed speeds.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      05-13-2012 01:34 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by reflexb6 View Post
      the noise is coming from the outside and no its not a dry swooshing noise. I only hear it at low speed speeds.
      If speed bumps are involved it will be control arm bushings most likely.

What I am thinking it is upper strut tower bearings. Good way to test this is have a friend help ya. Stick your hand between wheel and fender and grab the spring. Have your friend turn the steering wheel really slowly they don't hurt you.

If you feel like a grinding feeling in the spring when the wheel is betting turned that is a good sign to tell you your strut bearings are out. It will feel like its sorta catching a bit and also will make a noise typically.

Now its not a 100% thing but its a good way to get an idea.

PS: This happening mainly when driving around parking lots or parking I assume when you turn a lot at low speeds?
      Last edited by Boosted2003!; 05-13-2012 at 01:36 PM.