Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: TT RS hard to get in to 3rd and reverse

1. Member
      Vehicles
      sold: 2012 TT RS Stasis, 2008 CLS63 AMG, 2008 BMW 335i Dinan S3, 2008 BMW M6, 2007 BMW 335i Dinan
      04-30-2012 12:20 AM #1
      I just got my car on thursday. I have been driving it and I noticed it is not very smooth shifting. The shifter is very notchy or not sure how to put it but it doesnt go into 3rd or reverse very easily(sometimes a little grind going into 3rd). Has anyone else experienced this? The car has 4000 miles on it but you would think it is new if you saw it and othere than this there are no omechanical issues i have found so far.
      Is this just how Audis shifrt ior should i get i in for a look?

2. 04-30-2012 12:37 AM #2
      Mine was a bit hard to get into reverse initially and was a bit notchy but after 3k miles it's much smoother

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TTRS Suzuka
      04-30-2012 12:52 AM #3
      Mine had problems going into reverse and ground a couple times. The car would beep telling me it was in reverse but it wouldnt actually be fully in gear and would grind upon letting the clutch out. Got better as i became more familiar with the car. Never had any grinding going into any of the other gears though. If i were u i'd have it checked out to document the problem now for possible warranty claim later.

Vehicles
      2012 Audi TTRS, 2012 Audi Q5 2.0TDI S-Line
      04-30-2012 12:54 AM #4
      VERY ocassionally to get into 3rd mine was a bit sketchy but that sorted itself out.. It only ever "crunched" (so slightly) into 3rd maybe 4 times in total (randomly)..

With reverse, give the accelerator a blip (not a rev, a tiny stab) just to match the synchro Should sort it out
      '12 Audi TT RS, Phantom Black, Manual
      Bose Sound System inc Audi Music Interface and TV Reception
      Blackout Pack by GmbH + GmbH 19' Titanium Look Alloy Wheels + Dark Window Tint
      Extended Leather Package With Heated Recaro Bucket Seats + LED Interior Lighting Package
      Adaptive Headlights & Tyre Pressure Monitor

5. Member
      04-30-2012 01:05 AM #5
      I recall mtbscoTT asking about the same thing a while back. The shift from 2nd to 3rd is definitely not a smooth one. Basically, you can outshift the tranny in this car. Best just to relax a bit on the shifts and glide it in smoothly. I've only ever ground it slightly into 3rd or 4th just because of my own mistakes. If you find that it's absurdly slow or impossible not to grind on a slow-ish shift, then you may have a problem. Dealer should be able to sort it out.

Reverse is a bit odd in that the dogs occasionally don't line up properly. Reverse generally doesn't have a synchro in most cars, so the teeth on the cogs aren't lined up sometimes. If it doesn't go into reverse smoothly and *ALL THE WAY*, just slide it into 1st or 2nd and that should line up the teeth for reverse. Or let the car roll slightly if you're on an incline and it'll slide in.

- Jeremy -

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991/2011 MINI S
      04-30-2012 11:11 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by - Jeremy - View Post
      I recall mtbscoTT asking about the same thing a while back. The shift from 2nd to 3rd is definitely not a smooth one. Basically, you can outshift the tranny in this car. Best just to relax a bit on the shifts and glide it in smoothly. I've only ever ground it slightly into 3rd or 4th just because of my own mistakes. If you find that it's absurdly slow or impossible not to grind on a slow-ish shift, then you may have a problem. Dealer should be able to sort it out.

Reverse is a bit odd in that the dogs occasionally don't line up properly. Reverse generally doesn't have a synchro in most cars, so the teeth on the cogs aren't lined up sometimes. If it doesn't go into reverse smoothly and *ALL THE WAY*, just slide it into 1st or 2nd and that should line up the teeth for reverse. Or let the car roll slightly if you're on an incline and it'll slide in.

- Jeremy -
      Yep, I did mention that. I can get a bit of a grind doing a full throttle quick shift into 3rd only, but relax a bit and it never does it.
      Reverse usually works fine for me. If it balks at all, I put it back in neutral, let off then redepress the clutch, and it always goes in fine the second time. None of this is worth a trip back to the dealer, usual stuff.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

7. Member
      Vehicles
      sold: 2012 TT RS Stasis, 2008 CLS63 AMG, 2008 BMW 335i Dinan S3, 2008 BMW M6, 2007 BMW 335i Dinan
      04-30-2012 11:29 AM #7
      Thanks for the information and tips! I will give them a try today.
      I am going to take the car in to the dealership just to have it looked over since it is used and I just got it.(make sure everything is ok) While i am ther I am going to mention it to them so it is on record and see what they say about it.
      Not sure if there are any TSBs or anything for the car so I will check on that as well.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 GTi /2012 TTRS
      05-01-2012 03:08 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
      I just got my car on thursday. I have been driving it and I noticed it is not very smooth shifting. The shifter is very notchy or not sure how to put it but it doesnt go into 3rd or reverse very easily(sometimes a little grind going into 3rd). Has anyone else experienced this? The car has 4000 miles on it but you would think it is new if you saw it and othere than this there are no omechanical issues i have found so far.
      Is this just how Audis shifrt ior should i get i in for a look?

This may help:

http://www.hpamotorsport.com/mounts.htm
      2007 GTi Black Magic, APR Stage 2+
      2012 TTRS Sepang Blue on Titanium Blades.....

9. Member
      05-01-2012 03:34 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by YYC Dubber View Post
      This won't help with Quisp's problem, but it's a great upgrade. However, I would just get the insert (Neuspeed, Superpro). Improves throttle response and makes shifts crisper. $35, 30 minutes to install.
      - Deep Black Pearl '12 GTI 2.0T DSG
      - Phantom black '12 TT-RS 2.5TQMS
      - Brilliant black '08 A5 3.2QMS
      - Volcano black '99.5 A4 1.8TQM
      - Black '89 80 manual

10. 05-01-2012 04:07 PM #10
      I have trouble getting into reverse now and then (it simply won't go in). I can always get it into first easily enough in those cases however, after which reverse stops being finicky.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      05-03-2012 12:35 AM #11
      OK, I am gettin gbetter at the shifting but I have another question. I am new to Audis so I have no expereience with the sport mode button.

When it is in sport mode the throttle is very touchy and it is like I do not know how to drive stick when I pull away from a stop. The revs jump and i let the clutch out but it is not very smooth. When I am out of sport mode it is like the car is dragging something the difference between the 2 modes i quite a lot. I am probably gpoing to get GIAC or Stasis when theycome out with it but until then is it normal for the throttle to be that touchy in sport mode?

12. 05-03-2012 03:42 AM #12
      OK, I am gettin gbetter at the shifting but I have another question. I am new to Audis so I have no expereience with the sport mode button.

When it is in sport mode the throttle is very touchy and it is like I do not know how to drive stick when I pull away from a stop. The revs jump and i let the clutch out but it is not very smooth. When I am out of sport mode it is like the car is dragging something the difference between the 2 modes i quite a lot. I am probably gpoing to get GIAC or Stasis when theycome out with it but until then is it normal for the throttle to be that touchy in sport mode?
      Yep, that's how the throttle is in sport mode. I'm not really fond of it even when out hammering thru the twisty back roads. The only thing I like about quick throttle response is when blipping the throttle for downshifts.

Vehicles
      2012 TT RS, 2012 A3, 2008 A6
      05-03-2012 12:30 PM #13
      When I am out of sport mode it is like the car is dragging something the difference between the 2 modes i quite a lot.
      The only difference between the two modes is the throttle sensitivity. The power is the same in both, so I don't understand why it would feel like it was dragging something.

In sport mode the when you are at 20% pedal it is actually 40% throttle and when you are at 50% pedal and above it is 100% throttle. You lose a whole lot of pedal sensitivity and resolution, but it tricks the driver since you are getting more torque with less right foot pedal input. It is a gimmick really. Might be fun for your average joe to impress his friends but it's not good for balancing car with the throttle mid corner on a track.

GIAC/APR don't offer this feature in their canned tunes (to my knowledge), but when EPL tuned my TT RS they remapped sport mode throttle to behave exactly the same as non-sport mode. So much better! EPL also removed the throttle lock out when the brakes are applied (allows for left foot braking) and also offers the ability to change the behavior of the exhaust flap in normal and sport mode if you wanted(I didn't need this since I run with it disconnected all the time)
      Last edited by turbojlo; 05-04-2012 at 09:40 AM.
      1993 Porsche RS America #123
      2008 A6 3.2Q
      2012 A3 2.0Tq II+
      Ordered:
      2014 S4 Glacier White/Silver Alcantara

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Automobile
      05-03-2012 08:19 PM #14
      Never had a problem with reverse. But yes, it grinds third every time I push it. Gonna mention it at my first svc. I would say this to the OP, remember that your ecu is learning how you drive when you first get your car. It can lead to some "strange" things in regards to driving characteristics. Be ready to go thru it again if you chip.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      '95 Honda DelSol, 2012 TT RS
      05-03-2012 09:37 PM #15
      I've seen maybe twice where I was not able to get the transmission into reverse after stopping, and transitioning from 1s or 2nd gear. This was a common occurrence in my delSol as well, so I never thought it odd. Usually, putting it back to neutral, releasing the clutch, and then trying for reverse again would allow for a smooth transition. Always felt this was just normal behavior for manual transmissions.

As far as it being hard to get into 3rd gear; I can't say I've experienced that. I have had a few moments of an over eager clutch foot not being in sync with my right hand shifting, which lead to the clutch being let out just a few milliseconds too soon. I've done that 3 or 4 times now, and it's not specific to the gear. Would have thought that over 10+ years of driving a manual car would have remedied such an amateur problem, but c'est la vie.
      2012 Audi TTRS — Suzuka`Ti`CFMirrors`

Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT RS
      05-04-2012 09:28 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by turbojlo View Post
      ... EPL tuned my TT RS they remapped sport mode throttle to behave exactly the same as non-sport mode ... and also offers the ability to change the behavior of the exhaust flap in normal and sport mode if you wanted(I didn't need this since I run with it disconnected all the time)

turbojlo - I want to make sure I understand what EPL did.

Did the remap effectively remove non-sport-mode or sport-mode?

How did this affect the ability to stiffen the mag-ride suspension in sport-mode?

Vehicles
      2012 TT RS, 2012 A3, 2008 A6
      05-04-2012 09:36 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by jpkeyzer View Post
      turbojlo - I want to make sure I understand what EPL did.

Did the remap effectively remove non-sport-mode or sport-mode?

How did this affect the ability to stiffen the mag-ride suspension in sport-mode?
      Only the throttle mode behavior/logic was changed. Nothing to do with sport mode suspension.

Stock car:
      non sport mode = normal throttle sensitivity, normal suspension mode and exhaust flap closed
      sport mode = 100% throttle at 50% or greater pedal angle. Everything from 0-50% on the pedal is more aggressive so for example 20% pedal angle = 40% throttle, 40% = 80% etc, sport mode suspension, exhaust flap open

EPL options for sport mode:
      sport mode throttle can be remapped to be the sme as non sport mode
      exhaust flap can me remapped in sport or non sport mode to behave differently.

My car:
      Sport mode button only controls my suspension. In either mode my throttle input is the same and my exhaust flap is always open due to removal of the vacuum line from the flap actuator.

Due to a recent reduction in the db levels at tracks local to me, I may have EPL reprogram sport mode to close the exhaust flap. This way if I get black flagged for noise I can just connect the vacuum line and quiet the exhaust down but still have the firm suspension and not get kicked off the track for good.

It's nice to have options Hope this helps explain it. If it doesn't you can always email or call EPL for more info.
      Last edited by turbojlo; 05-04-2012 at 09:39 AM.
      1993 Porsche RS America #123
      2008 A6 3.2Q
      2012 A3 2.0Tq II+
      Ordered:
      2014 S4 Glacier White/Silver Alcantara

18. Member
      Vehicles
      05-05-2012 07:59 AM #18
      The throttle response in spoprt mode being so touch is why normal mode feels likeit is ragging. Have to press foot down farther to get the same reaction.
      The exhaust sound is also different but that explains that as well. IN sport in gets loud almost immediately and in normal it is not right

19. Member
      Vehicles
      05-05-2012 08:19 AM #19
      away.
      (sorry I hit enter accidentally)
      It would be nice if the throttle response was a little smoother or maybe my foot was a bit more skilled, so I wouldnt do tat over revving when pulling away fro a stop.
      With the exhaust flap mod done will the difference be in the sound of it only or is there any other noticeable difference?

Neonova that is exactly how i feel when driving. Never had an automatic trans car and after 30+ years of driving manuals I feel like a beginner sometimes when driving this car.
      I have seen some people say that the tunes even out the throttle response. I will have to look into them a bit more to see if their is an actual change in it or just their perception. I am not familiar with EPL but will definitely be checking out thier site.
      I appreciate all the information everyone has been giving. Finally got myself educated about BMWs to the point where i had a good idea what was going on and i go buy an Audi. Time to learn about cars again.
      I do have to say that this car handles incredibly. I love the way the car feels in the turns. Very connected to the road and inspires confidence in the car. Not a lot of body roll to make it feel unstable. I have a couple of highway ramp turns that I use to compare one car to the other. long curves and one that iw a little tighter and this car is a blast on them.

20. 03-13-2013 06:25 PM #20
      I've had this happen twice where the car seems to be in reverse but isn't then grinds when I let the clutch out.

Is this an issue with the transmission? I've had Audis before so I'm familiar with how to get them in reverse, and I never had a problem with my old RS4 grinding.

21. 03-13-2013 06:56 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by fjork_duf View Post
      I've had this happen twice where the car seems to be in reverse but isn't then grinds when I let the clutch out.

Is this an issue with the transmission? I've had Audis before so I'm familiar with how to get them in reverse, and I never had a problem with my old RS4 grinding.
      Hard to tell without actually trying it out for ones self... I have never had an issue like that, but it is a manual transmission after all. Like any, it can require some movement or going to neutral to get it in gear if the teeth are directly lined up with one another when you stop. If you don't notice that this is the case, it probably would grind if you tried releasing the clutch.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

22. 03-13-2013 07:28 PM #22
      2-3 Grinds occasionally at "race speed".
      Anything short of 100% and it's fine. MEH
      13 Passt TDI 6MT
      13 GTR